PDA

View Full Version : Regional Parks, camping, and guns - Need an answer please!

DrDavid
05-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm very confused about something.. My wife is to be camping at O'Neill Regional Park and I told her to bring one of the guns. Makes sense to me as you're allowed to have a gun at your campsite.

However, I found this:
http://www.ocparks.com/oneillpark/default.asp?Show=parkrules

It says, "Possession or use of firearms or weapons is prohibited".

Now, this seems like a RULE as opposed to a law (which, if I understand correctly, would allow her to have the gun on the campsite).

Since I'm not camping with her (I have my CCW, so, these silly rules don't really apply to me, thankfully..) I want to make sure SHE won't have any issues with the law.

So, can anyone clarify the rule for me? I was planning on putting the gun into a locked box with the ammo outside the gun for her; and telling her to bring it into her tent and load it while in her tent/campsite. Is this not ok for her to do?

CAHighSierra
05-20-2012, 10:35 AM
It says, "Possession or use of firearms or weapons is prohibited".

That to me says No go.

DrDavid
05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
That to me says No go.
Dumb... So, even though a campsite is a temporary residence, you can't have a gun for protection? California gun laws are stupid.

Good reason to get her a CCW I guess :)

njineermike
05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I'd rather the cops arrested me for having the gun that ventilated the torso of the creeper trying to get into my tent than have the survivng members of my family participate in the manhunt for my remains.

Just sayin.....

DrDavid
05-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd rather the cops arrested me for having the gun that ventilated the torso of the creeper trying to get into my tent than have the survivng members of my family participate in the manhunt for my remains.

Just sayin.....
I'm definitely not going to admit to anything, but, for the sake of academic discussion, that's pretty much my own thought process...

Librarian
05-20-2012, 1:47 PM
You should read the Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread in the Outdoors forum.

CAHighSierra
05-20-2012, 2:02 PM
Dumb... So, even though a campsite is a temporary residence, you can't have a gun for protection? California gun laws are stupid.

Good reason to get her a CCW I guess :)

The way I understand it, you can have a firearm for protection in your campsite except where prohibited. If the park rules say no, IMO it means no.