PDA

View Full Version : Threaded barrel on a .22 rimfire rifle OK?

1022rimfire
05-07-2007, 8:06 PM
Hi all,

Is it legal to install a threaded barrel (longer than 16", obviously) on a .22 rimfire rifle?

It will allow a compensator to be installed - I am considering a Tactical Solutions barrel for my 10/22.

Thanks!

blkA4alb
05-07-2007, 8:08 PM
Any rifle can have a threaded barrel. Only handguns cannot have threaded barrels, regardless of the caliber.

mow
05-07-2007, 8:08 PM
Rimfire FTW!

You can even put a mean looking flash suppressor on that puppy!

Oh and don't forget the pistol grip so that you can spray from the hip without having to reload! :D

pnkssbtz
05-07-2007, 8:09 PM
Threaded barrels on rifles are ok. Rifle has to be over 30" in total length and barrel must be 16" or more in total length.

Threaded barrels on pistols equals felony (assault weapon)!

KenpoProfessor
05-07-2007, 8:10 PM
Any rifle can have a threaded barrel. Only handguns cannot have threaded barrels, regardless of the caliber.

Handguns may have a threaded barrel if they have a non detachable 10rd magazine.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Stanze
05-07-2007, 8:13 PM
Threaded barrels on rifles are ok. Rifle has to be over 30" in total length and barrel must be 16" or more in total length.

30" OAL only applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles in CA. Rimfire caliber and non-semi-auto centerfire rifles can be 26" OAL with a 16" barrel per CA law.

blkA4alb
05-07-2007, 8:18 PM
Rifle has to be over 30" in total length and barrel must be 16" or more in total length.

As posted above, the 30" OAL limit does not apply to rimfires, only centerfires.

blkA4alb
05-07-2007, 8:19 PM
Handguns may have a threaded barrel if they have a non detachable 10rd magazine.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I didn't want to complicate the issue with the exceptions. Here's the law for those that are curious.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

blkA4alb
05-07-2007, 8:21 PM
if only the 40mm or 37mm flare launchers were legal.i'd mount one of those biotches on a 10/22

The 37mm flare launcher is legal. Go ahead and mount it on your BB equipped AR.

mow
05-07-2007, 8:28 PM
The 37mm flare launcher is legal. Go ahead and mount it on your BB equipped AR.

I know right!

The bullet button opened up a whole new way to waste ca$h didn't it!

1022rimfire
05-07-2007, 8:37 PM
Thanks all for the info. Very informative!

I'll be installing a Phantom or Vortex on my 10/22. Just kidding.

bwiese
05-07-2007, 9:06 PM

Let's clarify: only semiauto pistols need to be concerned with threaded bbl AW issues.

Wheelguns can have threaded bbls, as can single-shot pistols.

Threaded bbls on rifles are a non-issue in CA.