PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Residency question

Sailormilan2
05-20-2012, 9:23 AM
Friday I was at Old Boys Sports in Bakersfield picking up some PPT guns that I am holding for a friend. When they asked for my proof of residency for the handguns, I presented my retired Peace Officer ID which is also a Departmentaly Issued Concealed Weapons permit. It has my photo, but no address.
Old Boys said that the Departmentally issued CCW would not satisfy CA's requirement for proof of residency, since it didn't have my home address on it. Luckily I had my current vehicle registration handy, so that worked.
I've not had that issue with other gun shops. Is this normal?

littlejake
05-20-2012, 9:38 AM
You need a DL or CA ID card to prove who you are -- AND a utility bill, residential lease, vehicle registration , or other government issued license to prove residency. That license must have your residence address and an expiration date. Since your Departmentally issued CCW does not have your address, it's NG for POR. I believe it's a federal thing for handguns -- not just CA.

troysland
05-20-2012, 9:42 AM
Yes, it is. I had to pay $18 to get a replacement registration card with my new address or the ffl wouldn't release a rifle I had from a ppt. Address has to match ID or utility bill. I suppose thats what fulfills the proof of where you reside.

littlejake
05-20-2012, 9:47 AM
Most of us use our vehicle registrations. I always carry a copy in my wallet and the vehicle. That copy has always worked. But recently, a noobe at Turner's wanted the original of my registration. I slapped a copy of a California professional license on the copier with my address and an expiration date, and he was happy.

littlejake
05-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, it is. I had to pay $18 to get a replacement registration card with my new address or the ffl wouldn't release a rifle I had from a ppt. Address has to match ID or utility bill. I suppose thats what fulfills the proof of where you reside.

It's my understanding that the POR is for handguns. I didn't think the second form was required for a rifle. -- Just your CA DL or ID card. (I could be wrong.)

todd2968
05-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Here in CA they not only want proof you reside in the state, they also want to know how many guns are in each specific house.

code33
05-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Your retirement ID should work. Show them this from the DOJ website:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#34G

Formerly 12071 PC, now 25845 PC
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/26845.html

tenpercentfirearms
05-21-2012, 9:35 AM
Your retirement ID should work. Show them this from the DOJ website:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#34G

Formerly 12071 PC, now 25845 PC
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/26845.html

The problem I have with this is the PC does not specify that law enforcement are exempt.

26845. (a) No handgun may be delivered unless the purchaser,
transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents documentation
indicating that the person is a California resident.
(b) Satisfactory documentation shall include a utility bill from
within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed,
or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment
within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the
Department of Justice.
(c) The firearms dealer shall retain a photocopy of the
documentation as proof of compliance with this requirement.

So we need to either find the CCR where this is allowed or something other than just the DOJ website to show that this practice is legal.

I definitely do not require secondary proof of residency from current law enforcement and now I would probably do it for retirees based off the CA DOJ website, but I also want to see the code that allows this.

ke6guj
05-21-2012, 3:27 PM
The problem I have with this is the PC does not specify that law enforcement are exempt.

So we need to either find the CCR where this is allowed or something other than just the DOJ website to show that this practice is legal.

I definitely do not require secondary proof of residency from current law enforcement and now I would probably do it for retirees based off the CA DOJ website, but I also want to see the code that allows this.

11 CCR § 4045

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 11, § 4045

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 11. Law
Division 5. Firearms Regulations
Chapter 4. Evidence of Residency Documentation
§ 4045. Definitions and Requirements.

The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 26845:

d. “Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice” means either of the following:

2. A valid peace officer credential issued by a California law enforcement agency to an active, reserve, or retired peace officer.

tenpercentfirearms
05-21-2012, 3:50 PM
And there it is. Thanks Jack!

alfred1222
05-21-2012, 4:59 PM
It's my understanding that the POR is for handguns. I didn't think the second form was required for a rifle. -- Just your CA DL or ID card. (I could be wrong.)

You're right

tuolumnejim
05-21-2012, 6:03 PM
Here in CA they not only want proof you reside in the state, they also want to know how many guns are in each specific house.

Who in the World told you that?

CHS
05-21-2012, 9:24 PM

He's talking about something different, which is fulfilling the FEDERAL proof of residency requirements for the 4473 when your drivers license or ID doesn't match the address you put down on the 4473. The feds require that for ANY gun, ANY time your DL/ID doesn't match the 4473.

CA requires it for any and all handguns, ADDITIONALLY on top of the federal requirements (CA accepts different POR's for handguns than the feds do for a DL/4473 mismatch)