View Full Version : Selling non-firing firearms

05-20-2012, 8:18 AM
I have searched and cannot find anything on the web. What is the law on selling a non-firing firearm. Not talking of replicas, just a firearm that is in non working order. Do they still need to go through an FFL? Thanks.

Also, why can I only see pages 1&2 of some of the sections, such as handguns. I cannot see anything more, even if I type go to page 3. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

05-20-2012, 8:26 AM
You must transfer through a licensed dealer unless they were made before 1899. (Antique)

At this time, a long gun, greater than 50 years old may be transferred without a dealer (That's California resident to California resident.) It can be non-functioning; but should not have major modifications that would take it out of C&R status. Anything other than Antiques need to go through a dealer on the receiving end if they cross state lines (i.e. -- the receiving party is not a state resident) (GCA of 1968.)

Use the thread tool in the lower left of the page to view posts made back in time.

05-20-2012, 8:32 AM
A firearm is a firearm. You still have to go through an ffl even if it is "broken." the usual C&R exemptions apply. There may be some problem with handguns that are non-functional because of the requirement to do a safety function test (or whatever it's called) at the time of pick up.

You probably only see more recent threads due to your account configuration. Near the top of this page, under your name there is a link "User CP" follow that link and on the left side of the page that comes click on "Edit Options" and then scroll down to "Thread Display Options" where you can choose how far back in history you have threads displayed.

05-20-2012, 9:05 AM
Thank you for your help and clarification!