PDA

View Full Version : Utg buffer tube

Fractured
05-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? I just bought one on a whim for my ar build, and have been seeing mixed reviews online. Half the people say it's garbage, the other half say it's a steal for the price. I have had good overall experience with utg stuff so far, but it has been mostly stuff like sight rings and bipods and other tacticool stuff. The last thing I want to do is skimp, but because this is a slower build I figure I'd at least order it and loose it if it's crap.

Any opinions? Comments?

FMJBT
05-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm running one of their US made mil spec buffer tubes on a 308, no problems at all to report. Much of their newer stuff is actually pretty good, especially the new US made free float rails which are extremely well made.

operator13
05-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I have the "Pro" model which I guess is made in the USA vs overseas and it's held up just fine. Keeps my B5 SOPMOD nice and tight with little to no wobble. No issues with installation either.

chiz_65
05-20-2012, 7:01 AM
I too have the mil-spec tube on my 5.56 AR...No issues, feels sturdy.

Fractured
05-20-2012, 8:32 AM
Ok cool. That is enough reason to install it and be confident! I also paid 20.00 shipped for it, i am assuming that is a good price?

Dutch Schultz
05-20-2012, 8:37 AM
My friend had the rear of one break off, and had the spring come out through the back. They were really good about it though, they sent him a new "redesigned" one or something. Don't know how you can redesign something like that but they said they did. And in addition let him pick something free off of their website, he picked some kind of scope. When I talk to him later I'll see if he still has the pictures he took of it, and I'll post them up.

Dutch Schultz
05-20-2012, 8:57 AM
He got back to me faster than I thought. The text below the pictures is copy and paste what he told me to type out here for him.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2388/20120316151037.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1554/20120316155320.jpg

The buffer tube failed after roughly 500 rounds of a mix of M855 and M193. I contacted UTG and they sent me a free optic worth more than the tube itself, and stated they would redesign the buffer tube to be stronger. They said they'd send me a new buttstock assembly when it was redesigned, and I have yet to receive it. Their customer service was top notch, but I'd avoid using any tube made of T6061 aluminum. In UTG's defense, they said it was the only time they had ever heard of that happening with one of their tubes. It should also be noted that I frequently swapped the rifle tube out with a carbine length tube (probably 5 - 6 times), which probably weakened the end where you apply the crescent wrench.

Fractured
05-20-2012, 8:58 AM
My friend had the rear of one break off, and had the spring come out through the back. They were really good about it though, they sent him a new "redesigned" one or something. Don't know how you can redesign something like that but they said they did. And in addition let him pick something free off of their website, he picked some kind of scope. When I talk to him later I'll see if he still has the pictures he took of it, and I'll post them up.

Much appreciated, thank you. Supposedly they "changed" the design.

I also know these are made out of 6061 aluminum, and not 7075. It is T6 heat treated, as well as made in the USA so it is not as strong as it could be, but the better buffers are considerably more $$$$.

dookienuker
05-20-2012, 9:09 AM
Much appreciated, thank you. Supposedly they "changed" the design.

I also know these are made out of 6061 aluminum, and not 7075. It is T6 heat treated, as well as made in the USA so it is not as strong as it could be, but the better buffers are considerably more $$$$.

I'm the guy d. Schultz was referencing, those are my pictures. I really liked the finish, fit, and feel of the UTG A2 style stock. The color matched my spike's tactical upper / aero precision lower really well. It was also smooth to the touch, unlike some other buttstocks.

After I sent the assembly back to UTG, I purchased a BCM buffer tube, it was much heavier and presumably stronger. I then ordered an A2 style stock from RRA, which was greyish in color and very rough to the touch. I was extremely pissed at the quality of the RRA stock, but I shaved the casting blemishes off with my pocket knife and smoothed it out with some steel wool. Then I rubbed some CLP into it to give it a darker look and it worked out fine. Its still a little lighter in color than the UTG stock, but I'm relatively OK with it.

I also ordered the buttstock set screw from RRA, it came with a glob of red locktite on it so big that when I attempted to screw it in I actually started to strip the head of the screw, and I was using the right size screw driver. I ended up burning the loctite with a lighter and then scrubbing it with a brass brush.

xpbprox
05-20-2012, 9:22 AM
I saw this UTG one on eBay, it's 6061 T6, I thought about it but I'm gonna go with a PSA setup that comes with Magpul Stock.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIL-SPEC-BUFFER-TUBE-KIT-HEAVY-DUTY?item=270978666627&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8552570765303541037

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-moe-stock-kit.html

05-20-2012, 9:26 AM
Half the people say it's garbage

I'm with this half. ^

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2388/20120316151037.jpg

:rofl2:

BostonFan
05-20-2012, 9:27 AM
I bought one here from a member, the only thing I don't like is that its commercial spec.

MUKAK
05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
UTG is junk..

Fractured
05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
UTG is junk..

Lol thanks:rolleyes:

I might just keep it here and look into other buffer tube assemblies. Since I got it from amazon, I can easily return it. Plus it was only 20.00, so Keeping it as a backup isn't a terrible idea. What buffer tubes would you recommend??

xpbprox
05-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Palmetto state armory
LMT

mdib870
05-20-2012, 1:34 PM
the stuff that utg made in china is garbage.... but there stuff made in the us is good I'm running a mil spec utg tube made in the USA and already have 1k worth of rounds through it AND ITS STILL RUNNING STRONG

hossb7
05-20-2012, 1:38 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? I just bought one on a whim for my ar build, and have been seeing mixed reviews online. Half the people say it's garbage, the other half say it's a steal for the price. I have had good overall experience with utg stuff so far, but it has been mostly stuff like sight rings and bipods and other tacticool stuff. The last thing I want to do is skimp, but because this is a slower build I figure I'd at least order it and loose it if it's crap.

Any opinions? Comments?

So you just purchased something from UTG and have purchased lots of products from them in the past but "the last thing you want to do is skimp" and not order crap products?

Sorry, bud, but it's too late.

Personally I would never buy something manufactured by an Airsoft company to put on a firearm. It will be 100% worth it to save your money and buy a quality product from a quality company the first time.

strongpoint
05-20-2012, 2:32 PM
scope rings are "tacticool"?

xpbprox
05-20-2012, 2:37 PM
Yes

http://www.millettsights.com/images/products/prod_TacticalRingswithAccessory.jpg

bombadillo
05-20-2012, 2:48 PM
UTG is junk..

I gotta say, I liked their pistol grip. Turned out great on an AR build of mine and all kinds of people said they loved it.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/100_3784.jpg

Merc1138
05-20-2012, 2:50 PM
Yes

http://www.millettsights.com/images/products/prod_TacticalRingswithAccessory.jpg

While it is easy to post something like this

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20693700.jpg

There are indeed things to mount on top of scopes... sometimes... and rarely does it make any sense...

Fractured
05-20-2012, 2:54 PM
So you just purchased something from UTG and have purchased lots of products from them in the past but "the last thing you want to do is skimp" and not order crap products?

Sorry, bud, but it's too late.

Personally I would never buy something manufactured by an Airsoft company to put on a firearm. It will be 100% worth it to save your money and buy a quality product from a quality company the first time.

So i guess magpul is garbage too by that reasoning because their "pts" line is for airsoft.

Hmmmmm......

I was just curious what calgunners thought about these. Yes, I have had good experience with utg but it was with things not important to the functioning of the firearm. And like I said, i can always get something else.

xpbprox
05-20-2012, 2:57 PM
Yeah x2 on the new UTG pistol grip. It feels better than your average ergo

AK all day
05-20-2012, 3:01 PM
Bottom line...
UTG makes a line of crap
UTG makes a line of pretty good stuff
Other company's have this trend.

The trick is to determine what's crap, and what's not haha.

hossb7
05-20-2012, 3:47 PM
So i guess magpul is garbage too by that reasoning because their "pts" line is for airsoft.

Hmmmmm......

I was just curious what calgunners thought about these. Yes, I have had good experience with utg but it was with things not important to the functioning of the firearm. And like I said, i can always get something else.

Would you use PTS parts on a firearm?

Hmmmmm....

Not to mention the fact that Magpul's products have a proven track record for reliability and durability.

Fractured
05-20-2012, 3:53 PM
Would you use PTS parts on a firearm?

Hmmmmm....

No. I also wouldn't put a milspec buffer tube on an airsoft.

This argument sucks. Thanks for your opinion though. I will consider it while i am building my ar.

bombadillo
05-20-2012, 4:03 PM
Does UTG make the AIM quad rails for them? Out of curiosity, I've been running across a thousand drop in carbine and mid length handguards for AR's and they all look the same.

This is UTG:
http://stonearmsinc.com/cart/images/UTGQUADRAILMTU001.jpg

And this is AIM:
http://www.gandcguns.com/zen/images/M4RAIL.jpg

I'm seeing them everywhere and even the Palmetto ones look identical to this as well as the Primary Arms rails. I bought one from AIM brand and it just came in a white box with no name on it and a bag with screws and a wrench. That thing was a bit heavy but locked up tighter than you could ever ask for from a drop-in, and quality felt way better than my last midwest industries drop-in. I guess sometimes you get a winner and sometimes you don't.

xpbprox
05-20-2012, 4:26 PM
Do those have a QD mount built into them?

Fractured
05-20-2012, 4:39 PM
I guess sometimes you get a winner and sometimes you don't.

Thats probably the case with a "lower end" brand like UTG. They probably don't have a strict QC as a higher quality brand, but they still put out a decent product.

That quad rail looks decent. What was the price?

As far as the scope rings being tacticool, I din't imply the rings themselves were, just the bipod on my 1022:37:

hossb7
05-20-2012, 4:39 PM
No. I also wouldn't put a milspec buffer tube on an airsoft.

This argument sucks. Thanks for your opinion though. I will consider it while i am building my ar.

It will be 100% worth it to save your money and buy a quality product from a quality company the first time.

Not a problem.

Fractured
05-20-2012, 4:43 PM
Not a problem.

If I wasn't building my AR, I would LOVE to buy your .308. That is the exact one I want!!:rockon:

FMJBT
05-20-2012, 5:35 PM
Were you asking about the carbine buffer tube or the A-2 style buffer tube? The pictures above of the buffer tube that looks like it had an enema are of the A-2 style I'm pretty sure.

dookienuker
05-21-2012, 6:22 PM
The pictures above of the buffer tube that looks like it had an enema are of the A-2 style I'm pretty sure.

You are correct. It was an A2 stock assembly, the buffer, tube, spring, and stock were all UTG. While doing some research, I've run across this image of a 6061 T6 carbine buffer tube from ARFCOM. While the brand is not stated, UTG does use 6061 T6 for their carbine buffer tubes. I happen to have one of them, but now I dont use it.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-futTCbkhfF4/TlwhV1tDeLI/AAAAAAAAARg/jiKmB-xzqJE/s1600/brokenbuffer.jpg