View Full Version : Is it legal for a pre ban AR to be transferred to me?

05-19-2012, 7:05 PM
I tried searching, but I could not find anything going several pages through the results.

My dad has several pre ban ARs that he does not use. If they were registered to him pre ban, can he transfer one to me and I can still use it with 30rd mags, no BB, AND a pistol grip like he can?

Or after he transfered it to me would I have to make it post-ban compliant?

This is probably an easy answer but I have no idea.

Thank you!

05-19-2012, 7:06 PM
No and dont pass go and do not collect $200

05-19-2012, 7:10 PM
By pre-ban do you mean they where registered assualt weapons? aka RAW's?

If they are RAW's he will have to deregister them to be able to transfer them to you. They would need to be off list lowers and made CA compliant once de-registered

If you don't mean RAW's as if your father is out of state then make sure it isnt banned by name and is an OLL make it CA compliant and he can transfer it to you.

Either way, No you will not be able to "still use it with 30rd mags, no BB, AND a pistol grip like he can? " You will either have to use a magazine lock or loose all features including the pistol grip

Magazine locks (BB's) are not the only method of having a CA compliant rifle. There is also featureless builds (see the link in my sig)

By the sounds of it those are your father's magazines. If you did not own them before the ban it would be against the law for him to give them to you now.

If your dad gave you some of those magazines prior to January 1, 2000 you could legally use them in a featureless build ;)

Note in a magazine locked rifle you can not use a magazine that holds over 10 rounds. Period.

Learn more about magazines here:

05-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Asked and answered.