PDA

View Full Version : does a pre ban (nam era) ar15 need a BB?

Wes
05-19-2012, 7:56 PM
yes or no?

G60
05-19-2012, 7:59 PM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

How many 70's era civlian AR's are there? I didn't think they started getting popular/readily available to civilians at all until the mid-80's.

Chaos47
05-19-2012, 8:03 PM
Did you register it as a RAW?
If no (or huh? what is a RAW?), then yes. (or go featureless)

Wes
05-19-2012, 8:11 PM
its not my rifle. guy says his dad worked for the govt long time ago, he acquired it OCONUS and brought it back with him years ago. hasnt been registered. thats about all the info i have

Chaos47
05-19-2012, 8:31 PM
Then no, you can not transfer a RAW.

Your friend may be in illegal standing as well because you can not even inherit a RAW.

That's assuming it was even ever registered to begin with, if it wasn't and its not CA compliant (magazine locked or featureless) then it is illegally configured.

I haven't really looked into it but a foreign purchased firearm brought into the USA concerns me, I would look into the legalities of it if it was me.

I agree with G60 its probably a banned by name rifle anyways. (Probably COLT)

So there is tons of reasons to stay away from this one...

Wes
05-19-2012, 8:39 PM
thanks for the info fellas. it is not my gun, nor am i intending to buy it. heard about this gun through the grapevine so i was curious to find out what the deal is

zfields
05-19-2012, 8:48 PM
"Pre-ban" doesn't really mean anything in CA. Now if its a RAW, different story.

sigstroker
05-19-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

How many 70's era civlian AR's are there? I didn't think they started getting popular/readily available to civilians at all until the mid-80's.

They were readily available, but not particularly popular except with the 3-gun crowd.

bohoki
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
its either registered as an assault weapon or not

if it is then its fine if not well you need to be evilfeatureless or have a non detachable 10 round mag

Chaos47
05-20-2012, 12:58 AM
its either registered as an assault weapon or not

if it is then its fine if not well you need to be evilfeatureless or have a non detachable 10 round mag

and off list..

Wes
05-20-2012, 12:39 PM
what would happen if he decided to RAW it right now, since it wasnt done before hand? I dont know what the make of it is, but im assuming probably a Colt. Or what if he just threw a BB on it and took it to the range anyway?

pTa
05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
and off list..
//Don't forget/ If it's that old it's probably named///

m03
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
what would happen if he decided to RAW it right now, since it wasnt done before hand? I dont know what the make of it is, but im assuming probably a Colt. Or what if he just threw a BB on it and took it to the range anyway?

That ship sailed 12 years ago. At this point, its contraban.

Chaos47
05-20-2012, 2:01 PM
Wes there is no more registration. It closed in 1999.

The possibilities of its legal standing are:
It was made a RAW by his Father and thus illegal for the son to own
It was not made a RAW by his father and the son made it a RAW and is legal (sounds like he didn't)
No one made it a RAW and without a magazine lock it is illegal.
If it is banned by name it is illegal even if it is magazine locked.

Without facts we can only guess the status of this weapon. If you are trying to find this out to help the guy then we need to know the make and model.

//Don't forget/ If it's that old it's probably named///
Apparently you didn't read my earlier post where I already stated that. I was correcting bohoki that you can not always slap a BB on it and be gtg.

Librarian
05-20-2012, 2:33 PM
Good summary, Chaos47.

Thread closed before someone accidentally takes this from hypothetical to admitting a crime.