PDA

View Full Version : How do you spread information through a Police Department?

Sander77
05-07-2007, 5:42 PM
I only know a couple LEOs personally, and I know next to nothing about how a department operates, so forgive me if this question is naive...

But when it comes to OLLs, Bullet Buttons, AW definitions, and the rest of it - how is it that information is passed along within a police department?

I think this subject is touched on quite a bit especially by LEOs on the board. I've often heard that those who understand and support the OLL builds will try their best to educate those around them.

But I guess my real question is what would be involved with educating an entire department in a more formal way?

Well, I'm certainly not that naive to think this is a simple matter. I don't even really know how many individual police officers there are in the SFPD, for example. And as I said, I don't know how the department is organized. So I guess I'm just trying to visualize the structure and get some insight...

While having a court case that gives us that ruling we're all waiting for is probably the ideal, wouldn't knowing that your particular PD is relatively well informed and maybe having insight into their attitudes on OLLs be a pretty good thing in the meantime?

Like I said, I think I'm just trying to find some insight...

eta34
05-07-2007, 6:01 PM
My best advice is to find a LEO that you know on a personal level. Start with him and hope it spreads. If you happen to run across a cop in your everyday routine, talk to him/her about it.

homerm14
05-07-2007, 6:19 PM
Word of mouth is never going to work for a big department. You can however even in a big department make an appointment with the cheif. The cheif can then generate a department bulitin to all the rank and file.

Satex
05-07-2007, 6:27 PM
How do you spread information through a Police Department?

Write it on a box of donuts?

pnkssbtz
05-07-2007, 6:30 PM
Write it on a box of donuts?
LOL, wouldn't the box disappear real quick though?

cockedlocked01
05-07-2007, 6:33 PM
Larger Departments have Personnel & Training divisions. Some separate the two. Training divisions typically have an Officer or more whose job it is to keep abreast of new laws, training issues, etc.

New training issues can be brought up in several ways. An interdepartment groupwise/email throughout the PD, ammendmants to the training manual (Usually a training packet that has to be signed by each Officer), briefings, & quarterly training.

If you were interested in conducting some training or have put something together that you think would be helpful to the Police, you can usually contact the training department of the agencies you're considering.

DOJ, the DAs office, & various training clearinghouse groups usually send info to the Departments in their area.

Hope that helps.

Sander77
05-07-2007, 6:37 PM
Yeah, that helps me visualize much better - thanks!

Although I think I may have not been clear enough in my original post. I wasn't actually thinking of doing it myself... (though I guess that's an ambitious but worthwhile project!) :)

I guess I was wondering if a LEO who supports and understands current OLL law would have resources available to him to educate those in his own department on a more formal level.

From what you described, though, it sounds like these resources exist...

WokMaster1
05-07-2007, 8:07 PM
print "OLLs are legal. Visit www.calguns.net for more info!" on all their toilet paper. It should get almost everyone's attention.

leelaw
05-07-2007, 9:12 PM
I've spoken to a medium sized department about this.

I spoke with the Sergeant in charge of training, and he stated that they will not go for training pertaining to OLLs. He stated that they have a couple officers who are the designated "firearms experts" whom are on-call to answer questions about firearm legality.

I suspect that many departments are run like this, so contact your department and see if you can find those "Expert" officers and try to go on a ride-a-long with them and see if they're interested in learning something about guns.

Annie Oakley
05-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what's an OLL?

C.G.
05-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what's an OLL?

OLL stands for Off-list lower (receiver). You have some reading to do:
http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

And welcome to Calguns!:)

artherd
05-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Here is a reply from my LEO buddy (paraphrased) He is in a large orginization.:

The most effective way to get a serious point across is; someone over-steps the boundry of his authority greatly, then gets fired.

#2 is word of mouth, that is how my friend found out about OLLs and he now owns several.

Nobody reads 'important builtens', especially if they do not pertain to an actual incident/mistake/firing, there's simply too much work/other stuff to do.

Sounds like most corporations frankly. Nothing is news untill someone is fired for it, then, suddenly, everybody knows.

The gumption to act preemptively is fast becoming a lost art.

Travis
05-08-2007, 5:37 AM
If you happen to run across a cop in your everyday routine, talk to him/her about it.

Talking about OLLs to cops you happen to run across is a great way to get lots of attantion fast. Police officers are not subject to "education" from the general public for obvious reasons.

Sander77
05-08-2007, 8:37 AM
Leelaw - thanks, that kind of setup would make sense given the overall size of the department...

Sander77
05-08-2007, 8:38 AM
Annie, it stands for Off List Lower. If you want to know more, read the FAQ on the home page, or do a search of topics. 90% of the discussion centers around OLLs, so you won't be at a loss for reading material. :)

eta34
05-08-2007, 9:31 AM
What are those "obvious reasons?" Please educate me.

Talking about OLLs to cops you happen to run across is a great way to get lots of attantion fast. Police officers are not subject to "education" from the general public for obvious reasons.

Sander77
05-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Artherd - that's good insight, I did kind of figure that while there may be that kind of "Important Bulletin" system, it may not be read by everyone.

I have to admit, I never read emails that come down from "corporate headquarters" as they tend to have nothing to do with my daily job...

mark3lb
05-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Walk into your local Police Dept with your OLL in a locked case. Tell the officer at the desk that you would like to confirm this is legal. Bring the AR/AK memo and other educational Materials. Kind of like show and tell. If they see nothing wrong with it and they now understand OLL laws. If you're in jail, well, maybe they didn't get the idea of the memo. But your lawyer will clear it all up. We hope. If you're into gambling, this way of educating the Police is for you.

Sander77
05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
You know what would make this a lot easier (and a lot less of a gamble) is to find an OLL-supportive SFPD officer that would be willing to correspond via email and even meet up with you at the station...

Hmm, maybe that calls for a new post...

mark3lb
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
You know what would make this a lot easier (and a lot less of a gamble) is to find an OLL-supportive SFPD officer that would be willing to correspond via email and even meet up with you at the station...

Hmm, maybe that calls for a new post...

Email address = IP address.
Pulling up and talking with a parked Police officer = him possibly writing your plate down.

I know, send a homing pigeon with the AR/AK memo lol The officers will be like " why is there a bird outside with envelope marked " Police, please read this memo." LOL.