PDA

View Full Version : Universal m1??

VTX
05-19-2012, 5:32 PM
I was forced to take a universal m1 in a multiple gun deal even though I didn't want it. It's a two spring POS.
Is there any way to make it safe to fire??
Thanks

JAGGUY
05-19-2012, 6:23 PM
Just check to see that it won't fire out of battery.
I have a late Universal I bought in 1976 and never knew it was a POS until the interwebz came along! Shoots just fine and won't fire oob.
Granted it's not as good as my Inland CMP carbine but it sure as heck aint a POS!

VTX
05-19-2012, 6:29 PM
How do you check to see if it wiont fire out of battery?

NorCalK9.com
05-19-2012, 7:05 PM
Ill take it! pm me with details

VTX
05-19-2012, 7:35 PM
I didn't say i got it free, i had to buy it in the deal, cost me 200. Ill shoot it tomorrow to see if i keep it or not. How do you make sure my face wont get blown off doing so???

dust feeder
05-19-2012, 8:49 PM
Educate me a little. Why is it such a pos?

mattt
05-19-2012, 9:10 PM
Universal are the worst of the m1 carbine copies!!!

mrc44
05-19-2012, 9:24 PM
... I love my Universal M1, I dont care for the M1 enough to drop atleast $600 on one, and my Universal seems to work just fine, really fun gun to shoot!

mattt
05-19-2012, 9:30 PM
Love and how a rifle is built are 2 different things

bohoki
05-19-2012, 11:54 PM
if gi carbines didnt exist i would think they are an ok selfloading carbine but as they are they are kind of like comparing a charter arms 38 to a smith and wesson 38

InkHammer
05-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Honestly, the first gen and early second gen universals are pretty solid. They got the rep for bring junk due to the poorly built later models. Third gen and late second had qc issues and design flaws not present in the earlier guns. A serial number around or before 140,000 or so would signify early second gen or if lower than 100,000 a first gen. I have a Universal early second gen (thanks NorCal k9) and it is a smooth operator! After a super thorough cleaning and procuring some reliable magazines, I have had great luck with it, and a lot of fun. 300 rds or so with only one ftf. If it is indeed a late model with the bolt stop lever, you may want to just cut your losses, as it very well could fire out of battery.

VTX
05-20-2012, 1:39 PM
So maybe i got lucky mines 135xxx second gen, i feel a bit better about it. Will shoot it tomorrow and see. I have always wanted one, just wasnt willing to oay 5-600 for one.

InkHammer
05-20-2012, 1:58 PM
So maybe i got lucky mines 135xxx second gen, i feel a bit better about it. Will shoot it tomorrow and see. I have always wanted one, just wasnt willing to oay 5-600 for one.

Good stuff sir . The only concern is finding reliable ten round mags! Pro mags are worthless. I blocked off some Korean 15 rounders and they are great... They truly are fun guns to shoot. Have fun and good luck.

InkHammer
05-21-2012, 8:36 AM
Be sure to provide an update on your first range trip! Cheers

VTX
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Well the range is out my back door:)
After getting over the out of battery fear factor, she ran like a sewing machine, definately a great buy at 200 bucks in ammo i traded for it. The trader read all the hype also and let it go before shooting it. His loss my gain :)

InkHammer
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Well the range is out my back door:)
After getting over the out of battery fear factor, she ran like a sewing machine, definately a great buy at 200 bucks in ammo i traded for it. The trader read all the hype also and let it go before shooting it. His loss my gain :)

Very nice!! Now tell me that isn't one of the funnest damn guns to shoot... Color me jealous of your shooting environment . I would be pretty broke though if I could shoot that easily! ;)

VTX
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Yup pretty dam fun. Now im hooked on 30 carbine and want a pistola in 30
So what actually happens with the third gens firing out of battery and how does it happen?

bohoki
05-21-2012, 1:10 PM
its probably safe use aguila 30 carbine its good stuff stay away from steel case russian ammo

gun toting monkeyboy
05-21-2012, 1:12 PM
They get a bad rap. Some of the models are crap. But that doesn't mean all of them are. Even some of the later models are pretty good. They made quite a few later on that were more or less government spec. I think the biggest question on whether or not you have a decent one is to to figure out if you have a GI style slide, or one of their stamped ones. The latter was prone to cracking. I have a later production one that uses mostly GI compatible parts and it has worked great for years. Even with their trigger guard set up.

-Mb

VTX
05-21-2012, 2:56 PM
Again, what conditions or how does it fire out of battery?????

Gem1950
05-21-2012, 7:50 PM
It's only a POS if it does not work or if one must have a G.I. model. Otherwise it is a gun that operates properly.

InkHammer
05-21-2012, 8:23 PM
Again, what conditions or how does it fire out of battery?????

I don't know for sure, but I believe it is the third gens that had the oob problem , most likely because they were designed with a bolt catch lever that had a tendency to slip, releasing the bolt and slam firing...

VTX
05-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks, i like to understand the problem.
When you pull the bolt back to cock the hammer and release it back towards the breech before its completely closed, should you be able to pull the trigger releasing the firing pin? If so can the firing pin fire the cartridge? Or only when its fully closed?

JAGGUY
05-22-2012, 6:05 AM
If you reload.....take some empty primed cases.
Put one in the chamber and close the slide.
Pull the slide back to where you can see the bolt unlock a little. Note the position of the locking lugs.
Pull the trigger and see if it pops the primer...

If not repeat by opening the bolt a little less and check for primer going off.

The GI will pop the primer at more than 3/4 closed...
Some CLAIM the late Universal will fire at 1/4 closed or not closed at all.
Mine won't fire until well more than 3/4 closed so I don't worry about it.

The M1 carbine is very sensitive to excessive case length so if you reload for it you really trim to minimum length every reloading.

Hope this makes sense...

VTX
05-22-2012, 4:08 PM
Shouldn't they not be able to pop the primer unless bolt is locked? Dont AR's work that way? Is there an upgrade that can be done To the m1? If they all can pop the primer at some point, they all are potentially dangerous, especially if you have a case the didnt eject completely and you pull it out and press the trigger if its not locked, no matter if its 1/8" from being locked or 3"

JAGGUY
05-23-2012, 3:12 PM
Don't think you get what I am saying....
When I said bolt 3/4 closed I should have said 75% locked....Bolt fully closed and the locking lugs 75% turned clockwise to fully locked.....
That any clearer?

bohoki
05-23-2012, 5:02 PM
i would shoot it i'm sure its fine

VTX
05-24-2012, 9:49 AM
Im not worried about mine, "inquiring minds want to know"
Yes its clearer, i noticed on mine and many others like a at a local gun shop, you can pull the trigger and the striker does release even when bolt isnt locked and half way open or more. Does the firing pin have enough strength to pop the primer when the bolt isnt closed? The gun shop said many military weapons operate this way. I would call it no sear disconnect like an AR has, you cant release the firing pin unless bolt is fully locked

jeff762
05-24-2012, 1:31 PM
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/index.html

you'll find all your answers here.

JAGGUY
05-24-2012, 1:46 PM
The firing pin is blocked until the very last bit of bolt rotation, so it really can't hit the primer until very close to being 100% closed.

VTX
05-25-2012, 6:48 AM
Thanks

clickbang
06-07-2012, 1:50 PM
The firing pin is blocked until the very last bit of bolt rotation, so it really can't hit the primer until very close to being 100% closed.

Would this only be a problem if you are pulling the trigger faster than the bolt can return to a locked position?

If I wait a full second between shots, should I have anything to worry about?

I just got one of these 3rd gens with a 408xxx SN last night by the way and the web reports have been freaking me out.

Cali-Shooter
06-07-2012, 1:57 PM
I didn't say i got it free, i had to buy it in the deal, cost me 200. Ill shoot it tomorrow to see if i keep it or not. How do you make sure my face wont get blown off doing so???

Wear this:

http://www.srstactical.com/products/images/products/xl/rs100.jpg

Kidding aside, I'm sure it will be fine. Try out a box of Aguila FMJ .30 carbine thru it, and that'll tell if it's worth it's keep or not. At best, it can be a rough and tumble truck gun or shooter gun for you, definitely not a safe queen because it's not worth as much as USGI carbines are.

But if it's a proper shooter and it works fine, then its a keeper. But ammo costs for M1 carbines are a bear.

clickbang
06-08-2012, 8:28 AM
Would this only be a problem if you are pulling the trigger faster than the bolt can return to a locked position?

If I wait a full second between shots, should I have anything to worry about?

I just got one of these 3rd gens with a 408xxx SN last night by the way and the web reports have been freaking me out.

Anyone?