PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my barrel Spiral Flutted in Socal

RippSpeed
05-19-2012, 6:14 PM
Looking for a place local in SoCal who can Flute my WOA 18" Barrel??? Can someone point me in the right direction????

TKM
05-19-2012, 6:28 PM
Stop.

It's a WOA.

Sell it and ruin a cheap barrel.

CRTguns
05-19-2012, 7:15 PM
flute it straight and then twist it.;)

or , like other guy said , STOP.

Ask yerself, why fluting?

cosmetics?
- if so, you do not need the advantages of a WOA pipe. Use a cheap barrel. Fluting after finishing will result in stesses developing in the barrel, causing zero shift as barrel warms up.

cooling?
-lookup the principle of "thermal boundary layer" and study the science of heat transfer accross states of matter before you oull trigger on fluting.

weight redux?
-see note for "cosmetics" (and pm me for tips on building a 4.5 lb rifle)

seeking the approval and admiration of your friends?
- get new freinds who accept you for who you are, not the twist of your barrel.

LWRC does this for weight/accuracy balance- the barrel is as stiff as a fat barrel, but weighs as much as a thinner solid barrel. and spiral fluting maintains more spine stiffness than straight. Most gun owners/hobby shooters will never realize these advantages.

drs2714
05-19-2012, 7:28 PM
Forget Logic
Just DO IT!
:devil2:

RippSpeed
05-20-2012, 7:32 PM
Was looking to drop weight ... this is my 3gun/hd rifle build. Its currently too heavy for wifey. I share all my fireamrs except for my shotgun and soon an AR10.

And what's wrong with building a high end barrel to your specs since they don't offer it from the factory???

PS. sorry there no tactical cool stuff on the riffle now...

the WOA Barrel is cheaper than the barrel in my custom STI pistol... And fluted my Schuemann hybrid barrel to drop weight, working on the same pricinpal of weight reduction...

GettoPhilosopher
05-20-2012, 7:40 PM
Was looking to drop weight ... this is my 3gun/hd rifle build. Its currently too heavy for wifey. I share all my fireamrs except for my shotgun and soon an AR10.

And what's wrong with building a high end barrel to your specs since they don't offer it from the factory???

PS. sorry there no tactical cool stuff on the riffle now...

the WOA Barrel is cheaper than the barrel in my custom STI pistol...

The point is that fluting after production causes internal stresses that'll wreck the accuracy of your barrel. If you want a fluted barrel, buy one.

Ahhnother8
05-20-2012, 7:47 PM
If the barrel is cut-rifled, fluting should not change it at all. If not, it is risky.

AFAIK, Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering is the only one out there competent at spiral fluting.

Peter.Steele
05-20-2012, 8:19 PM
The point is that fluting after production causes internal stresses that'll wreck the accuracy of your barrel. If you want a fluted barrel, buy one.

Your point is correct, but the technical info is not.

So long as the fluting process is done with a mill or other chip-forming process, it will not create any new stresses. No chip forming process can create stress.

What will happen is that any internal stresses, whether from the rifling process (except cut rifling, as Ahhnother8 mentioned) or from the process of forging the barrel blank itself, will continue to act on the remaining metal of the barrel ... and you'll have removed a nice spiral section of the metal that was resisting those stresses.

A spiral-fluted barrel looks really cool, but it really needs to be done at the time of manufacture, so that you can be sure the correct steps have been taken to relieve the internal stresses in the metal prior to cutting.

GettoPhilosopher
05-21-2012, 8:25 AM
Your point is correct, but the technical info is not.

So long as the fluting process is done with a mill or other chip-forming process, it will not create any new stresses. No chip forming process can create stress.

What will happen is that any internal stresses, whether from the rifling process (except cut rifling, as Ahhnother8 mentioned) or from the process of forging the barrel blank itself, will continue to act on the remaining metal of the barrel ... and you'll have removed a nice spiral section of the metal that was resisting those stresses.

A spiral-fluted barrel looks really cool, but it really needs to be done at the time of manufacture, so that you can be sure the correct steps have been taken to relieve the internal stresses in the metal prior to cutting.

Im not knowledgeable about manufacturing processes, just passing along what others I trust have told me....so I'll defer to you. :)

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

sigma6
05-22-2012, 12:51 AM
I thought ER Shaw has a patent on the 'spiral' fluting design, therefore, you cannot get one commercially fluted. I was going to get another design on my Rainier Arms match barrel. Now I'm thinking twice because I don't want to throw away 250 bucks+ fluting.

peter95
05-22-2012, 7:42 AM
I'd remove the rail attachments you have on your upper of this is for 3gunning.
They only add weight to it, unless you do 3gun at night and need it for a flashlight.

If you really want a flutted barrel, you are better off selling yours and spend money on a already flutted one instead of doing it yourself. Paying someone to do it will cost enough to just buy yourself a new one.