PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot overkill? Picture added.

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 4:01 PM
151129Hey guys kinda random but I jus put some new goodies on my mossy new side saddle, sling etc. So now including the mag tube and chamber I have room for 35 rounds of 00 buck on my boom stick is that to much? Lol its my HD gun so I just have it so I don't need to be fumbling around lookin for shells when I have over 30 rounds of buck on it.

In the picture there are a couple of shells missing from the sling but you get the idea. FYI it is not currently on my shotgun.

Entman42
05-19-2012, 4:20 PM
You plan on being in a sustained firefight? What you have in the tube should be sufficient for HD.

bsg
05-19-2012, 4:36 PM
i keep it simple; i have a 6+1 setup for both my 870s, should i need either for HD.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-19-2012, 4:40 PM
i keep it simple; i have a 6+1 setup for both my 870s, should i need either for HD.

me to, I have a defender winchester1300 full off 00 just in case my .40 fails and my sks fails, bad guys just like a dog will run if they hear something loud. :43:

Turo
05-19-2012, 4:45 PM
You ever carried 35 rounds of buckshot on a shotgun and tried to shoot with it? That much ammo is HEAVY! I won't tell you what to do or not to do, but filling the mag up and having a couple extra rounds in a side saddle is more than enough for just about anything that comes your way.

creampuff
05-19-2012, 4:52 PM
While I do agree for being prepared, and that two is one, and one is none, I would think 35 might be a bit cumbersome. Keeping the side saddle loaded I can understand, but the remaining +20 shells, will just start to weigh everything down.

When I take my rifle or shotgun out of the safe, I notice the sling already becomes a tangling factor. I would think a fully loaded sling, would even be more of a mess.

plumbum
05-19-2012, 4:59 PM
If that works for you, I say go for it!

But seriously, make sure nothing gets in the way of shotgun operation, and make sure all things will stay attached to said shotgun during possible stressful operation.

WDE91
05-19-2012, 5:04 PM
Gecko45 is that you??

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 5:53 PM
Im 6ft 1 in. 247 pounds, im used to carrying weight lol. It is heavy but still very functional. The way I see it is if the "intruder" is still wanting to stick around after 35 rounds of buckshot then im just going to cry. Plus I got to be ready for the zombie apocolypse at all times! :61:

prc77
05-19-2012, 6:25 PM
take the shells off the sling, too much weight swinging around, ends up being a liability. Find and take a fighting shotgun class from a known instructor. I guarantee that sling set up gets tossed in the trash

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 8:03 PM
Uh I'm 25 thank you very much. Sorry I joke don't mean to offend your sensitive nature.

MossbergMan
05-19-2012, 8:20 PM
Travis, I agree that no shells should be carried on a sling. A sling for HD? Just gets caught on things indoors. 30+ rounds, yeah overkill for HD.
A white light, side saddle and be done with it. Use all your "extra money" on learning how to hit what you shoot at (training).

elSquid
05-19-2012, 8:24 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/866021

-- Michael

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 8:40 PM
Well the sling is easily detachable lol I have it for the same reason as my bayonet. "Just in case" of what? Who cares it looks badass! Lol

Trapper
05-19-2012, 8:42 PM
+1 on the training course. Shoot a couple combat shotgun matches and see what works for you.

Ribkick
05-19-2012, 8:52 PM
Well the sling is easily detachable lol I have it for the same reason as my bayonet. "Just in case" of what? Who cares it looks badass! Lol

Given enough rope....

Love my point made for me.

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Ok by now I thought it be obvious I was mostly joking. Anyway I will set my hd rig how ever I see fit.

madland
05-20-2012, 2:01 AM
I doubt in the middle of the night that the crackhead breaking into your house (or your mom&dad's basement) is going to care how tacticool your shotgun looks..much less be able to see it in the dark. That being said..set it up however you see fit.
You just need to realize that many on this forum (myself included) take HD of what is our's and the lives inside our homes (not just our mom&dad's basement-sorry I had to take a jab) very seriously. All jokes aside, I hope I never have to get mine out in an emergency. But if I do, it's gonna be my stripped-down fighting shotgun without a bunch of bells and whistles that's set up to protect what's mine. But like I said..it's your rig...set it up how you want. My .02

scglock
05-20-2012, 3:41 AM
35 rounds is overkill and you'll look ridiculous.. Just keep the mag tube loaded and at most, maybe a side saddle loaded if its for a HD weapon.

MossbergMan
05-20-2012, 9:03 AM

Okay now the truth comes out...this is not a HD firearm, it's a BBQ/range gun. Doesn't matter how it works under stress, no it's all about the way it looks...If it weren't for guys like this, well, let's just say he's keeping some people employed making and selling tacticool (read: worthless) accessories.

Travis, let us know when you get a "baby monitor" (MW3 talk for heartbeat detector) green/red and IR lasers and red dot optics for your shotgun. That would really look bad*****! BTW post some pics.
Travis sorry to be so blunt, but I see folks just like you in my classes all the time and by the end of the course most of the "tacticool crap" has been removed because it's just not practical,weights too much or was just useless.

Travis590A1
05-20-2012, 6:13 PM
Wow you guys just like to insult don't you? I bought the accessories on a whim and no its not a bbq gun its my second line of defense as far as guns go. I love how if somthing is not to your liking you guys jump on it and talk down to complete strangers. You guys are real tough flexin your muscles via internet. I do take hd.seriously otherwise I wouldn't have spent money on a firearms for it. I'm not new to guns and I own quite a few. I just added things to it out of boredem. Its funny how you guys take hd so serious that you be little other peoples choice in goodies for their guns. Relax guys its just a post

Travis590A1
05-20-2012, 6:19 PM
Oh and the whole "living in my parents basement" coment was awsome especially considering both my parents are dead....very classy guys how old are we again? You guys act mature and high and mighty yet you be-little people as if your in high school. Do me a favor and look up the defenition of the word "hypocrite".

Richard Erichsen
05-20-2012, 6:50 PM
Hey guys kinda random but I jus put some new goodies on my mossy new side saddle, sling etc. So now including the mag tube and chamber I have room for 35 rounds of 00 buck on my boom stick is that to much? Lol its my HD gun so I just have it so I don't need to be fumbling around lookin for shells when I have over 30 rounds of buck on it.

Even 3 gunners and shotgun competitors don't load their shotguns down with that many shells. You are at diminishing returns by the time you get to 8. If this is for HD, keep in mind the average number of shots fired rarely exceeds 3 shots. A 6 shot basic shotgun with an 18.5" barrel is a common HD shotgun for just that reason.

There are ways of doing fast reloads, including shell carriers of 4, 6 and even eight that pop out a handfull at a time from your belt and speed sticks that shove 4 shells into the mag tube at a time that are stowed on your belt until needed.

R

repubconserv
05-20-2012, 6:50 PM
This thread went downhill fast. Too many thin skinned people in this world

madland
05-20-2012, 7:03 PM
Ok kid..maybe you need to read my post again. Not only did I say I was kidding about living in your parent's basement, I told you to set your rig up however you see fit..I did not ridicule your setup. Regardless if your parents are deceased..there was never a jab thrown in their direction..just a cram of you living in their basement. You can't come on here..act like a kid and expect not to get your hand slapped. You aren't the first one to come into this forum..post dumb comments and then get talked down to by the other members..nor will you be the last.You initially posted regarding your setup and asked if 30rds of 00Buck was too much to carry on your HD gun. Following some responses to keep it simple you preceded to add stuff about "zombies and how badass" it looks and it went downhill from there. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answers. It's comments/behavior like yours that gets the gun community frowned upon. Here endeth the lesson.

NoNOS67
05-20-2012, 7:03 PM
Tag!

prc77
05-20-2012, 7:07 PM
Once he gets some good professional training, he will see the error in his ways. Some guys just got to find out in there own time.
Travis, save up some cash and get youself into a good fighting shotgun class. This will be money well spent. Good luck.

Travis590A1
05-20-2012, 7:09 PM
Thin skinned no. People just being rude for no reason to strangers.

Travis590A1
05-20-2012, 7:33 PM
Ok guys first off I'm not a child and these accessories are for a hd gun that more or less sits in my closet for weeks at a time. The post was more of a joke to begin with ppl then you guys had to come it and say "oh well sense you have to many rounds on your shotgun you must need training" a pretty bold concusion. I've heard dozens of calgunner joke about zombies and commies its just that a joke. You guys can talk crap all you want it doesnt really bother me, its just funny how some of you joke calling me kid and refering to me as a youngster yet I'm being picked on by high schoolers lol.

prc77
05-20-2012, 7:44 PM
Everyone who has a firearm needs training. and if its your go to weapon for HD then you should train regularly. If your HD weapon happens to be the shogun then you need to train that much more.
If you are in the Bay Area, Stoic Ventures is running an advanced shotgun class next Sunday. PM him from FB and ask about the class.

Get a single point for training classes.

glock22fs
05-20-2012, 7:55 PM
just something to consider... having all that ammo on your sling can screw up your presentation to the target and once you get on target it will tend to swing potentially pulling you off target.

I think the ammo holding slings are a gimmic if used on a fighting gun. try shooting with it incorporating rapid presentations to targets and see if it still seems like a good idea.

ogarcia_02
05-20-2012, 10:55 PM
The OP just asked something simple, no need to jump down his throat and make judgements on someone that we do not know. Others have posted about heat shields and other accessories without having personal comments being made about them. So what if he wants to add tactical stuff to his shotgun, unless people here are fronting the bill I dont see anything wrong with it.

email
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Only 35 rounds? No problem. That's what pockets are for.

ROCKETW19
05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Wow I guess I better not tell anyone I almost bought the Eotech Zombi edition red dot for my M4 shotgun.

35 rounds on a sling I agree is not a good idea for HD but if you like the way it looks I say keep it for range fun. I buy most my guns for the way they look and add stuff i think is cool. My HD gun is just a plain jane HK usp9mm but the rest of my guns all have something on them I am sure you guys would make fun of. well maybe here on the net but not in person.

Have fun with your stuff 99.9% of us will never need any gun to defend our lives at home.

Ron-Solo
05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
From someone who carried a shotgun every working day for 32+ years, what you have described is not just overkill, it is ludicrous. Keep the chamber empty, magazine tube full, a side saddle or similar device holding another five rounds will be sufficient.

I survived a firefight against multiple suspects wielding an AK-47, a 9mm pistol, and a .45 ACP pistol with an Ithaca pump and five rounds of buckshot. They were all trying to kill me and my partner, and fired first.

Training is more important than any gadget you can put on your gun. The rig you describe is restricted to mall ninjas, sorry.

Travis590A1
05-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Ok what does that story have to do with a sling? Most marines and rangers I know that have done multiple tours in iraq (including my brother and two cousins) don't even like to descuss anything they have seen and done and you talk about it like your chuck norris.

madland
05-21-2012, 2:54 AM
From someone who carried a shotgun every working day for 32+ years, what you have described is not just overkill, it is ludicrous. Keep the chamber empty, magazine tube full, a side saddle or similar device holding another five rounds will be sufficient.

I survived a firefight against multiple suspects wielding an AK-47, a 9mm pistol, and a .45 ACP pistol with an Ithaca pump and five rounds of buckshot. They were all trying to kill me and my partner, and fired first.

Training is more important than any gadget you can put on your gun. The rig you describe is restricted to mall ninjas, sorry.

Are you kidding me!!?? Ron-Solo is giving you sound advice on setting up your HD gun and a real-life story to back it up as an example and now you're calling him "Chuck Norris?" This is a guy who's walked the walk and is telling you how he made it through a life-threatening incident with only 5rds but I guess you don't see his point. I guess the only part you really paid attention to is where he called you out as a mall ninja. Like I said before..it's your gun..set it up as you please. Just remember before you reply again to the thread you started..
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

To quote Jules (Samuel Jackson) in Pulp Fiction..
"If my answers frighten you then cease to ask frightening questions"

Just remember..you asked and we answered.
My work here is done......

NoNOS67
05-21-2012, 4:53 AM
Ok what does that story have to do with a sling? Most marines and rangers I know that have done multiple tours in iraq (including my brother and two cousins) don't even like to descuss anything they have seen and done and you talk about it like your chuck norris.

Random question...do you "bang high profile chicks?"

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The War Wagon
05-21-2012, 5:08 AM
You plan on being in a sustained firefight? What you have in the tube should be sufficient for HD.

THIS... or move to a state where 30 round AR mags are legal. :o

getafterit
05-21-2012, 5:47 AM
Wow! I agree this thread "went downhill fast" but not on travis's part. He was asking a simple question, how much is too much-more or less.
Insulting him, joking or not, should be checked at the door.
To the class instructor. I dont doubt you see guys all the time with all the bells and whistles on their rigs. I am sure that most of that stuff gets dropped before the class starts and I am sure you are a resected guy in your line of work. You sound like a professional so perhaps you should act like one.
If you want to help a guy out answer his question. Perhaps give and example or two without the sarcasm. If you want to belittle him do it face to face so he can have the option to set things straight.
Remember guys everyone of us was a noob at one time or another. Most of us wanted to learn from others and some of us even asked rediculous questions.

Travis, I agree with the excess ammo. Keep in mind that if you ever do get into an altercation even inside your home LEO's will most likely confiscate your rig until the investigation clears you.
And how many talk of the zombie apocolyps on this board? We all know that there are no zombies. We keeps guns because it is our right. We keep them because we feel a need. A need that history supports. We also feel a need to lighten the gloom of ever having to use them.
Lighten ups guys. Its not about thin skin.

MossbergMan
05-21-2012, 7:35 AM
Wow! I agree this thread "went downhill fast" but not on travis's part. He was asking a simple question, how much is too much-more or less.
Insulting him, joking or not, should be checked at the door.
To the class instructor. I dont doubt you see guys all the time with all the bells and whistles on their rigs. I am sure that most of that stuff gets dropped before the class starts and I am sure you are a resected guy in your line of work. You sound like a professional so perhaps you should act like one.
If you want to help a guy out answer his question. Perhaps give and example or two without the sarcasm. If you want to belittle him do it face to face so he can have the option to set things straight.
Remember guys everyone of us was a noob at one time or another. Most of us wanted to learn from others and some of us even asked rediculous questions.

Travis, I agree with the excess ammo. Keep in mind that if you ever do get into an altercation even inside your home LEO's will most likely confiscate your rig until the investigation clears you.
And how many talk of the zombie apocolyps on this board? We all know that there are no zombies. We keeps guns because it is our right. We keep them because we feel a need. A need that history supports. We also feel a need to lighten the gloom of ever having to use them.
Lighten ups guys. Its not about thin skin.

Point taken and perhaps I allowed my passion to get the best of me. I had given appropriate suggestions without sarcasm in an earlier post and noted a continued adolescent attitude. Travis590 was dealt with as an adult (by me and some others) until his responses ignored reason. I would and have said the exact same thing to a student that put the CSF (cool stuff factor) and CDI (chick dig it) factors above function. That said, I will endeavor to keep it professional.

Ron-solo, Great post and thanks for your real world experience.

Travis590A1
05-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I've known plenty of soldiers with real world experience, so I got that area covered.

NoNOS67
05-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I've known plenty of soldiers with real world experience, so I got that area covered.

This??

Mana4real
05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
This??

That is awesome!! Finding the barrel is like where's Waldo

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Uh I'm 25 thank you very much.
Once your maturity catches up to your young age, you'll be ready to own or, at least, handle a firearm.

Wow you guys just like to insult don't you? I bought the accessories on a whim and no its not a bbq gun its my second line of defense as far as guns go.

Again, lack of knowledge puts a SG as a secondary line of defense. It really should be your first. BTW, I've never heard of a SxS that was used in a SD situation that wasn't able to do the trick with TWO rounds PERIOD.

Ok guys first off I'm not a child and these accessories are for a hd gun ..... its just funny how some of you joke calling me kid and refering to me as a youngster yet I'm being picked on by high schoolers lol.

Uh, you are a child when it comes to maturity and you are definately a "youngster". Oh, those accessories are there for the manufacturers to make money. Most of them are actually going to be in the way should you ever need to use them. But, hell, don't listen to people with real world experience. Keep listening to the Rambos you know so well. Yea, a couple tours of combat does not make anyone a home defense expert. Combat is a lot diferent than self defense. Someday, you'll grow up and learn this.

Wow you guys just like to insult don't you?

So, when someone with real more years of world experience than you've been on this planet comes along and trys to give you real world advise, you sling insults and call him names. You're obviously not as mature or inteligent as you think you are.

Who cares? Most of us older folk know more soldiers with more years of combat in more wars than you could dream of knowing. But, what does that have to do with a self defense firearm? Every combat veteran I know used their firearms for offensive strikes as well as defensive strikes and had to carry their weapons and ammo a lot further than from a closet to their front door.

I would suggest listening to the wisdom which comes with age instead of thinking you know it all just because your gardner's father's sister dated someone who told her that he was in the special forces.

Dozen Gauge
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
This??

I'd like a list of all the bling on that weapon. Can u keep it to one page?:D

Travis590A1
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Lol ok. First off unlike others I don't sleep with my sg next to me a have a gf there instead. I have a pistol in my night stand to "fight my way to a long gun" funny how people on this site are so adiment on being the super hero and saving the day. Relax buddy if I don't want to take a cops advice maybe there is a reason. As far as experience id rather listen to a battle hardened recon marine or a ranger who has been in firefights of hundreds of rounds being deployed vs 5. Nothing against anyone it just makes more sense to listen to more experience. My original post was more of a joke than anything I have the sling loaded up with 15 shells and that sling is also hanging in my closet not attached to the firearm. Also age is just a number when in regards to being mature. In my line of work I've seen 16 yr olds act like 50 year olds and 40 year olds act like 10 yr olds. I'm done with this pissing contest I don't need to justify what I do with my property to a stranger. :)

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2012, 1:05 PM
Lol ok. First off unlike others I don't sleep with my sg next to me a have a gf there instead. I have a pistol in my night stand to "fight my way to a long gun" funny how people on this site are so adiment on being the super hero and saving the day. Relax buddy if I don't want to take a cops advice maybe there is a reason. As far as experience id rather listen to a battle hardened recon marine or a ranger who has been in firefights of hundreds of rounds being deployed vs 5. Nothing against anyone it just makes more sense to listen to more experience. My original post was more of a joke than anything I have the sling loaded up with 15 shells and that sling is also hanging in my closet not attached to the firearm. Also age is just a number when in regards to being mature. In my line of work I've seen 16 yr olds act like 50 year olds and 40 year olds act like 10 yr olds. I'm done with this pissing contest I don't need to justify what I do with my property to a stranger. :)

So, you'ld rather listen to someone with a couple years of combat than those with a few years of combat and a few decades worth of LE under their belt? That's your choice.

Also, you're correct, your age has nothing to do with your lack of maturity. I'd say that you currently have ten more years of experience than you do of maturity. But, that's just based on your posts on this forum.

Travis590A1
05-21-2012, 1:23 PM
My brother was a ranger since I was in middle school he just recently retired. My cousin is still a sgt major in the marines, my other cousing served 22 years as a recon marine during desert storm. So ya id say they have more experience with fire fights than a cop. I've seen cops that don't even know how to clean their own duty weapons for christs sake. Also just because you articulate and present your arguement well doesn't mean you are right or mature yourself there buddy.

NoNOS67
05-21-2012, 1:44 PM
In my line of work I've seen 16 yr olds act like 50 year olds and 40 year olds act like 10 yr olds.

Yup, I worked fast food when I was a kid too. Totally know where you're coming from!

NoNOS67
05-21-2012, 1:50 PM
I'd like a list of all the bling on that weapon. Can u keep it to one page?:D

Not at liberty to discuss, as I built that rig back when I was a delta force seal team ranger commando...with Chuck Norris. Sorry.

Mana4real
05-21-2012, 2:05 PM
The mature thing to have done would be to say "Thank you very much for all of your input. I now have a better grasp as to what I should be doing and I will take all of your information into consideration".

Travis590A1
05-21-2012, 2:07 PM
Lol ya I work mcdonalds you caught me.

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2012, 2:17 PM
My brother was a ranger since I was in middle school he just recently retired. My cousin is still a sgt major in the marines, my other cousing served 22 years as a recon marine during desert storm. So ya id say they have more experience with fire fights than a cop. I've seen cops that don't even know how to clean their own duty weapons for christs sake. Also just because you articulate and present your arguement well doesn't mean you are right or mature yourself there buddy.

I guess you showed me. LOL.

Next time, instead of ASSUMING that you have more experience and know more people with more experince, you might want to stop and think a minute. Many LEOs with +30 years LEO experience also have seen more military combat than you could imagine. But, hey, your brother must know more than anyone else. Why, because he's your brother. You're obviously too young and imature to think for yourself or listen to advise that you don't already agree with. That's too bad. Understanding every aspect of an arguement would help you really understand the arguement. But, instead of rationally taking all the data in, you insist on arguing based on emotions. I've delt with enough females to know that reasoning with anyone who does that is impossible. So, go ahead, load up your SG with as much tactifool crap as you can. Maybe you can through some extra lead in the stock just to make it heavier and even harder to wield. Of course, we all know that an Army Ranger would do just that, right?

Montu
05-21-2012, 2:45 PM
OP,
I have an AR setup you might like...
A4tRHsIOgZk

repubconserv
05-21-2012, 2:48 PM
OP,
I have an AR setup you might like...
A4tRHsIOgZk

you won't have a chance to shoot before the BG has a seizure

MichaelM
05-21-2012, 2:52 PM
I prefer to use dragon breath rounds because they give me the importunity to see the bad guy when I fire. I hate flash lights because they give away my position when burglars break in, thats why anyone worth his weight in salt should highly consider dragons breath rounds.

MichaelM
05-21-2012, 2:56 PM
Also, if you get a railed fore end for that mossberg, you could mount a revolver to it and use it as a forward pistol grip/back up gun!

Travis590A1
05-21-2012, 2:58 PM
I didn't say my brother or I knew everything. My point was on the whole firefight experience issue my brother and other fam memebers had more than the average cop. There is always someone bigger and better I'm not saying they are rambo or anything. Don't get to sad now

jamesweed
05-21-2012, 3:12 PM
Also, if you get a railed fore end for that mossberg, you could mount a revolver to it and use it as a forward pistol grip/back up gun!
Now that is the best one i think.. F*** it if your gonna go tacticool might as well slap another firearm to a firearm right? lmao!

NoNOS67
05-21-2012, 3:14 PM
Yup.

jamesweed
05-21-2012, 3:15 PM
Keep your shotgun simple and it will be the best... people who have money to blow are the ones with "tacticool" guns your average working man has a simple firearm due to no money to blow, i guess you now know who has funds to burn!

ericsabbat
05-21-2012, 3:20 PM
so uh.... IBTL

That being said this thread makes my head hurt. In online pissing contests no one wins.

Travis understand that there are a great deal of members on this forum with real world combat experience who only want to help other members. That being said you are completely within your right to ignore what they say or poke fun but don't cry foul when they snap back.

Unless you are expecting to have a team of 20 people lay siege your house there is no reason to need that many rounds on you at any given time.

MichaelM
05-21-2012, 3:29 PM
so uh.... IBTL

That being said this thread makes my head hurt. In online pissing contests no one wins.

Travis understand that there are a great deal of members on this forum with real world combat experience who only want to help other members. That being said you are completely within your right to ignore what they say or poke fun but don't cry foul when they snap back.

Unless you are expecting to have a team of 20 people lay siege your house there is no reason to need that many rounds on you at any given time.

Don't you think thats a bit naive to believe that 20 people won't lay siege on your property? That's why I use bollo rounds, dragon breath, mossberg 500 with a S&W 500 mounted to the fore end. I have boxes of dragon breath all over my house.

There is a massive evil presence in the world today and you have to be prepared for the worst. 20 people is not even that bad, how about 30? My cousin works for the TSA and he says there are terrorists and criminals everywhere. You have to be ready for anything!

Dozen Gauge
05-21-2012, 3:49 PM
You don't really need all that extra weight, just go with the basics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/ElPlymino/Winchester%201300%20Defender/100_0120.jpg

Mana4real
05-21-2012, 3:56 PM
Don't you think thats a bit naive to believe that 20 people won't lay siege on your property? That's why I use bollo rounds, dragon breath, mossberg 500 with a S&W 500 mounted to the fore end. I have boxes of dragon breath all over my house.

There is a massive evil presence in the world today and you have to be prepared for the worst. 20 people is not even that bad, how about 30? My cousin works for the TSA and he says there are terrorists and criminals everywhere. You have to be ready for anything!

You forgot about the claymores :D

MichaelM
05-21-2012, 4:00 PM
I like the idea of using a chainsaw grip on that mossberg. Its very tactical and has many uses. You can saw it off on the top in order to get the bar inside a trigger guard of an ak pistol and overwhelm the enemy with amazing firepower!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff8P1sjSx4

MossbergMan
05-21-2012, 6:26 PM
MichaelM a benefical side affect of using Dragin's Breath indoors is it makes it easy for 1st responders to find your place, they'll just follow the smoke. Once upon a time I started a little burn with a Dragon's Breath round.

The Vampire Slayer 2.0 is lacking one key ingredient....GARLIC... where's the garlic and vile of holy water??

prc77
05-21-2012, 6:39 PM
Travis post pic of your current set up please

Dutch3
05-21-2012, 7:17 PM
I can say that after firing 35 rounds of 00 in a stress situation, I would be damned tired and hurting.

Of course, I am pushing 50 and should probably take up shuffleboard and needlepoint instead. My HD Mossberg has 4 in the tube always and a few more close by to drop into my pocket should the need arise. I don't care for excess baggage.

MichaelM
05-21-2012, 8:33 PM
MichaelM a benefical side affect of using Dragin's Breath indoors is it makes it easy for 1st responders to find your place, they'll just follow the smoke. Once upon a time I started a little burn with a Dragon's Breath round.

The Vampire Slayer 2.0 is lacking one key ingredient....GARLIC... where's the garlic and vile of holy water??

That's true, it would be truly naive to believe in home defense against criminals and forget about the vampire threat than is ever increasing.

Good point!

BRUNO1911
05-21-2012, 8:46 PM
411 from Mr.Smith director at THUNDER RANCH

http://youtu.be/FhgwHQCJwWw

Live,Learn Pass it on :cool:

proraptor
05-21-2012, 9:02 PM
You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves and im not even talking about the original poster of this thread...you make everyone on this forum look like idiots.....thanks

TaoFlederMaus
05-21-2012, 9:18 PM
I guess you can use some of those 35 rds. of buck to blow an escape door through a wall, and drive your way to safety.

repubconserv
05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves and im not even talking about the original poster of this thread...you make everyone on this forum look like idiots.....thanks

You're welcome. Anything we can do....

pacifico23
05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
OH SNAP!!!!

Ban Hammer on Canonneer....Never thought Id'e see the day.

Solidux
05-22-2012, 12:24 AM
I hope my advice will be better than some of the other "hazing-ish" replies.

35 shells is fine... if the sling is separate from the shotgun itself (loaded tube + side saddle and the sling/belt easily accessible in your nightstand or under bed...etc)

The military is constantly evolving when it comes to slings due to reasons some of the people here listed: tangles, quick action, and points of connection. The standard 2 point sling system requires unslinging of the firearm before bringing the weapon up to your shoulder (unless very loose). 3 point systems are not really practical for shotguns and your primary weapon should be on this. 1 point slings are ideal for shotguns as quick accessibility to the firearm plus the ability to quickly change platforms to rifle/pistol is needed in combat situations.

That being said, IMO, you only need a sling on your shotgun if in combat situations with multiple firearms. For HD, the standard encounter wont last more than what you have in your tube.

I can't recall a single case in HD where the homeowner had to fire more than 5 shells.

On my HD 500, I have 00 in the tube, 3 00 on the saddle + 2 slugs.

Nothing wrong with 35, 50, or even 100 shells...

... now putting a scope/red dot/etc on a pistol grip only shotgun is ... haze worthy. I've seen many fob rat mall ninjas with a $500 acog on a 500 cruiser series shotgun...

I... dont think they've ever fired a cruiser before...

hyperion.excal
05-22-2012, 1:09 AM
In real HD scenario 35 shells will do more harm to you than good, it just slow you down, the weight will delay your target acquisition and slow your movement.

The extended magazine tube and side shell holders will do just fine. For HD you want to be fast and versatile so keep the SG as light as possible. A light is important too, you want to be able to see your target and whats beyond it. Keep it simple.

saki302
05-22-2012, 2:03 AM
My defense shotgun has a light (on a rail I added- a simple M3 light), and a surefire stock which holds 4 rounds well out of the way.

I can't stand side saddles or anything that adds crap to the side of my guns. It throws off the balance and makes it clunky IMO.

-Dave

I500X
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
To OP: So if you know so many people with "real combat experience" and you don't care about the opinions of "strangers", why are you posting here again?

repubconserv
05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
OH SNAP!!!!

I think he has been "banned" since april fools day.... when Kes changed the membership status of all CGN donators...

To OP: So if you know so many people with "real combat experience" and you don't care about the opinions of "strangers", why are you posting here again?

This is what I was wondering

Travis590A1
05-22-2012, 4:10 PM
Because its always good to get multiple opinions....let me ask you a question, why do you comment of your not going to contribute to the topic? Trolling should be your answer

Beaker650
05-22-2012, 4:19 PM

Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out as a single woman, if a shotgun (and/or my Sig 226) would be sufficient enough if a few men broke into my home.

Xingu
05-22-2012, 4:36 PM
Because its always good to get multiple opinions....let me ask you a question, why do you comment of your not going to contribute to the topic? Trolling should be your answer

WOW. Just WOW.
This thread = :troll:

Travis590A1
05-22-2012, 4:38 PM
Ya I started this thread and I've been over it for a while but ppl keep on posting random things.

saki302
05-22-2012, 5:20 PM
Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out as a single woman, if a shotgun (and/or my Sig 226) would be sufficient enough if a few men broke into my home.

Put a full load of 00 buck into the first guy- care to bet if his buddies stick around? :D

-Dave

NYCShooter
05-22-2012, 5:33 PM

IMO, there is nothing more deadly at HD distances than a shotgun loaded 6+1 with 00 or 1B buck.

marcusrn
05-22-2012, 8:57 PM
Young bull and old bull up on the hill looking down on field below at a herd of cows.

Young bull says to old bull, "lets run down there and roger one of those cows".

Old bull says"lets walk down and roger them all".

The old bulls have spoken.

NoNOS picture of the internet guy may be fun but also cruel.

I love this website!

WDE91
05-22-2012, 9:02 PM
Yo dawg, I just bught a civic and am thinking i iz wanab da best streatracer in all of Cali
I iz need mo nos,splitter,and neonz

U iz got da houkups homie??

Ron-Solo
05-22-2012, 9:37 PM

OK, since you asked, I will tell you. In home defense situation, a sling on a shotgun is more of a liability than an asset. Especially a sling loaded down with rounds. The sling can easily get tangled on furniture and you are quickly in deep trouble. A side saddle of elastic shell holder on the stock that holds an additional five rounds is more than sufficient.

I survived that particular gunfight because of training and practice, not because I had a bunch of gadgets on my gun.

When I worked one of our mountain units, our shotguns had slings on them, because we would often have to hike long distances with them. We also drove larger vehicles with more room in them. (Chevy 4x4 Blazers) When I worked the urban areas, we did not have slings, because slings easily get caught on all the junk in a patrol car, making exiting in a hurry dangerous.

If you can't take out multiple suspects with 10 rounds of quality 00 buck, you need more training. Personally, I don't think you have shown the maturity needed to take this serious.

And who your brother or cousin is doesn't matter when the fecal matter hits the oscillating wind device. All that matters is what you know, and if you can put that training into play when it counts.

I have worked alongside of some of my fellow deputies who distinguished themselves in the jungles of Vietnam, the deserts of Iraq, and the mountains of Afghanistan. These men included among their accomplishments the Distinguished Flying Cross, Silver Star (multiple), Navy Cross, Bronze Star w/ "V" (multiple) and the Purple Heart. For you to say the LE doesn't know about firefights dishonors them.

And to all our Veterans, regardless of your combat experience.......THANK YOU!

Ron-Solo
05-22-2012, 9:38 PM
And never, ever, dis Mr Chuck Norris

plumbum
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Just for topics sake, the shotgun closest to me only holds a single Winchester '00' green-hulled military shell, and I feel just fine as such.

It's a shotgun, try not to overdo things.

And this is a public forum, lets keep it civil.

RoundEye
05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Do you have any pics? I'd like to see what a shotgun looks like with 35 rounds stuck to it.

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2012, 6:02 AM

Should we have a Calguns ugly sweater party/contest instead?:p

MuddvilleHustler
05-23-2012, 6:24 AM
Great answer Ron Solo. That is what this place is all about.

-hanko
05-23-2012, 6:38 AM
Hey guys kinda random but I jus put some new goodies on my mossy new side saddle, sling etc. So now including the mag tube and chamber I have room for 35 rounds of 00 buck on my boom stick is that to much? Lol its my HD gun so I just have it so I don't need to be fumbling around lookin for shells when I have over 30 rounds of buck on it.

In the picture there are a couple of shells missing from the sling but you get the idea. FYI it is not currently on my shotgun.
Yo homes...your shotty be looking like yo ride?:D
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/TXmisery/2012-05-18105201.jpg

prc77
05-23-2012, 7:11 AM
Travis
At least you shoot from the correct side of the shotgun. Oh,, loose the stock mounted saddle, makes shooting weak side a PITA.

Thanks for the pic.

Travis590A1
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
It only has the side saddle on it as of a couple days ago.

Beaker650
05-23-2012, 8:25 PM
IMO, there is nothing more deadly at HD distances than a shotgun loaded 6+1 with 00 or 1B buck.

Put a full load of 00 buck into the first guy- care to bet if his buddies stick around? :D

-Dave

Yes, but I've got a 20 gauge youth model because my arm is short. I searched high and low, must have gone to 10 stores and finally found #2 and #3 buck.

saki302
05-24-2012, 3:12 AM
#2 buck or even #3 will serve you just fine at home defense distances :)

-Dave

Ryan in SD
05-24-2012, 3:28 AM
I'm an internet expert. I carry 36 rounds.

In my red rider.
Chuck taught me two in the right one in the left

...eye that is.

xlimey
05-24-2012, 5:06 AM
:facepalm:Ok what does that story have to do with a sling? Most marines and rangers I know that have done multiple tours in iraq (including my brother and two cousins) don't even like to descuss anything they have seen and done and you talk about it like your chuck norris.

Travis, sometimes when you find yourself in a hole it is advisable to stop digging...

Richard Erichsen
05-24-2012, 5:34 AM
OH SNAP!!!!

It's a trend among CG contributors, but we can't talk about it.

R

daybreak
05-24-2012, 6:58 AM
This is the Travis590a1thread I've been waiting for. Brb, popcorn.

bruceflinch
05-24-2012, 7:28 AM
Random question...do you "bang high profile chicks?"
Glad I wasn't sipping coffee!

You don't really need all that extra weight, just go with the basics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/ElPlymino/Winchester%201300%20Defender/100_0120.jpg
MEH!
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj138/Bruceflinch/swissarmygun.jpg

411 from Mr.Smith director at THUNDER RANCH

http://youtu.be/FhgwHQCJwWw

Live,Learn Pass it on :cool:
Now you're talking Skippy!

Well to answer your original question...NO.. :facepalm:

Ya I started this thread and I've been over it for a while but ppl keep on posting random things.
& like a Train Wreck, even you can't help but keep coming back to look. :D

OT has nothing on this thread.

creampuff
05-24-2012, 7:35 AM
I'd lose the stock mounted side saddle. That's just a bit too much. Ever had to clear a stuck shell by slamming the butt into the ground? You are going to have shells flying all over the place.

Keep it simple.

pietropau9
05-24-2012, 8:03 AM

Come on..........your not over it. Your vagina still has sand in it. I kinda agreed with you about everyone jumping on you in the begining but you are the guy that keeps yelling stuff out the window instead of letting everyone go home.

Travis590A1
05-25-2012, 1:56 AM
Well why would I not post on my own thread when I'm being talked about by "men" having a pissing contest. If this thread is your pinacle of entertainment then you my friends need lives. Laugh it up internet tough guys.

ThE_LoNgShOt
05-25-2012, 8:08 PM
Thin skinned no. People just being rude for no reason to strangers.

apparently these guys didn't get that you were intentionally making a joke about overkill.... I thought it was kind of funny. Calguns is a melting pot of mostly cool people and a few who feel the need to "school" anyone who has an opinion that differs from theirs. don't take it personal. sorry to hear about your parents, too. that sucks.

stkcode
05-25-2012, 8:53 PM
Too many posts to follow, but to the OP's original question. It's your shotgun, set it up however you want. I would suggest firing it with all those shells in the sling first, for 2 reasons.

1. Are the rounds snug enough to stay in the sling as it sways around or are you going to lose half of them in the process?

2. As I think already mentioned on the first page. Is all the weight from the rounds at the muzzle end swinging back and forth going to throw your targeting off? IMO...this is a big, if not huge problem.

AfghanVetOrcutt
05-25-2012, 8:55 PM

Hate to break it to ya fella but your family didn't really do ****. #1: The were in the dirt during a time when we weren't at war and #2 when we were at war, they were high enough ranking that they weren't in any real firefights, they mostly sat behind desks and dealt with bull****.

I may be wrong and if I am I apologize. From my 6 years in the army and 2 deployments to Afghanistan, what I said has been my experience.

Otherwise, grow some thicker skin or life will eat you alive, brother. If you don't like what someone says, screw 'em, move on with your live.

bruceflinch
05-26-2012, 5:48 AM
Come on..........your not over it. Your vagina still has sand in it. I kinda agreed with you about everyone jumping on you in the begining but you are the guy that keeps yelling stuff out the window instead of letting everyone go home.
Posted @ 0903, 5-24-12

Posted @ 0256 5-25-12
Well why would I not post on my own thread when I'm being talked about by "men" having a pissing contest. If this thread is your pinacle of entertainment then you my friends need lives. Laugh it up internet tough guys.

PUI? :facepalm:
Time to Lighten Up, Dude.

eFTLKWw542g&ob=av2e

DinoPJR
05-26-2012, 7:18 AM
Poor dude you got burned for just posting a pic. Everyone needs to calm down if he wants his shotgun like that who are you to tell him otherwise. Personally I keep a side saddle for sure doesn't get in the way and why not have some extra shells handy.

DinoPJR
05-26-2012, 7:21 AM
I'd lose the stock mounted side saddle. That's just a bit too much. Ever had to clear a stuck shell by slamming the butt into the ground? You are going to have shells flying all over the place.

Keep it simple.

Who cares if the shells fly all over the place.