PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first rounds of skeet with the right gun

Mana4real
05-19-2012, 1:43 PM
So I shot my first rounds today with the correct gun. I had imp cyl in the lower and cylinder in the upper. I shot 6 rounds lol. I got 13, 16, 16, 17, 19, 17. I notice that I still have a little bit of trouble with 3, 4 ,5. I think I'm still shooting a little behind them. Two times today on station 6 I took out both birds with one shot. Both times I looked for the other bird and I had to be told I hit them both lol. I love it!! It's way more challenging then trap.

Update Sunday 5/20: I went for day two and scored 19-19-23-23. I figured out stations 3-4-5 so I'm really excited. I know I can hit 25 soon. I got tons of tips from a lot of old timers today. Station 4, wow that lead is huge!!! I impressed a lot of folks today, including myself.

Revoman
05-19-2012, 3:38 PM
Not bad scores for a beginner! Congrats on getting skeet in yer blood!

I highly recommend Todd Bender's Skeet Instructional videos, that guy is a good instructor with easy to follow steps.

It increased my scores pretty well....of course personal instruction would prolly be just as good if not better, but those are some excellent vids.

MA5177
05-19-2012, 5:35 PM
If you havent done a clinic yet that is the ticket. The "right" gun probably wont matter much until you get very good, im sure a pro could shoot 25 all day with a pawn shop 100.00 gun.

That reminds me, I need to sign up for another clinic!

Mana4real
05-19-2012, 6:09 PM
Thanks guys. I'll shoot anything. I'm used to my over under with fixed full chokes and shooting trap. I told myself I'd be happy with anything in the high teens this morning and I did what I set out to do. I should have patterned the gun first. I think that's going to be on my next range trip. It shoots different then my other gun. I really want to take the clinic, but no news on the NorCal clinic. I really want to take it. I think it would do me a lot of good. I need the most help on station 3,4,5... I can consistently hit the birds on 1,2,6,7,8.

Funny thing is I just recounted on my score sheet, my 18 is actually a 19 lol. So I'm even happier!!!! Woo hoo!!! I looked at it and thought to myself that there doesn't look like 7 misses, so I recounted. I took my own score today.

Thefeeder
05-19-2012, 6:11 PM
Where were you shooting?

Mana4real
05-19-2012, 6:14 PM
Where were you shooting?

I shoot at Concord. United sportsman inc. I'm a member there.

Thefeeder
05-19-2012, 6:34 PM
Great place with great staff. Try shooting some 5 Stand next time your there.

Mana4real
05-19-2012, 6:48 PM
Great place with great staff. Try shooting some 5 Stand next time your there.

Ya, I absolutely love the range. I want to give five stand a try, but I think I'll do it if I can get some friends to go with me. I really want to get skeet down. I think next time I go, I might be able to pull off something in the 20's. Keeping score really helped me figure out where I'm making my mistakes. The puller gave me a hard time about it and I told him that that's how you find your mistakes, that's how you know if you're getting better. Yes, it's for fun, but everyone wants to know how they are doing.

mikey357
05-20-2012, 8:29 AM
Ya, I absolutely love the range. I want to give five stand a try, but I think I'll do it if I can get some friends to go with me. I really want to get skeet down. I think next time I go, I might be able to pull off something in the 20's. Keeping score really helped me figure out where I'm making my mistakes. The puller gave me a hard time about it and I told him that that's how you find your mistakes, that's how you know if you're getting better. Yes, it's for fun, but everyone wants to know how they are doing.

Mana,

Here's a little clip for skeet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWbj7_zpQM

mikey357
05-20-2012, 8:33 AM
Mana,

How did the Lanber do?

Mana4real
05-20-2012, 3:47 PM
I'll post about the Lanber when I have more time tonight. I went for round two today and scored 19-19-23-23!!!

mikey357
05-20-2012, 5:52 PM
I'll post about the Lanber when I have more time tonight. I went for round two today and scored 19-19-23-23!!!

You are doing something right, your scores went up quite a bit in just a few days. Maybe you really dont need a clinic.

Mana4real
05-20-2012, 6:44 PM
You are doing something right, your scores went up quite a bit in just a few days. Maybe you really dont need a clinic.

Well I was using a full choke gun before just to figure out how the game works and to see if I like it. If I liked it, I was going to buy myself a gun so I could shoot it. With a full choke, I shot 4 rounds total with a best of 13 and that was my first time doing it. I did worse afterwards. I liked the game and the challenge. So I decided to buy myself a shotgun to change the chokes. So this weekend was my first time with the new gun. I shot six rounds yesterday, 13-16-16-17-19-17. My big trouble was on stations 3-4-5. I didn't know the lead. Once I figured out the lead (today), I started breaking clays like crazy. For example, I finally started hitting station 4. My last round, I missed the low house 4, so I took my option. I would have hated to do that any other time, but now I know what the leads are on 3-4-5. So I nailed the option. Once you figure out the leads it's easier and you can focus on all the other little tid bits of information that people give you. For example, starting points, foot position, where you want to hit the bird and the list goes on. But you also need to figure out what works best for YOU!!

I am luck enough that the guys at the range I go to, they are really really nice and gave me a lot of tips. I even told them, don't be shy, please tell me if I'm doing something, you will not hurt my feelings, I'm new and I'll soak it up. Yesterday and today has been awesome. I actually out shot the guys giving me tips LOL. One of the guys that helped me out today in the first two rounds this morning told me that I had an audience watching over me. Which is very flattering. For everyone that has helped me out, THANK YOU!!! I went out this morning with it in my mind that I wanted to break at least 20. I did even better and figured out the leads. I love it.

As far as taking the clinic, I can always learn something. I'm am generally very humble. I don't know much about this sport and I love talking to people about it. Good or bad, I can take it. Ok, off to write the Lanber review :D