PDA

View Full Version : misdemeanor as minor, Problem??

hookah
05-19-2012, 2:12 PM
Im looking to purchase an AR very soon, but wanted to check here first and ask if anyone thinks ill have a problem. I was charged with a pety theft misdemeanor back when I was 15, I am now almost 28 and was curious if anyone thinks this will present a problem? Thanks in advance!

jsull86
05-19-2012, 2:16 PM
You shouldn't have any issues. It is a misdemeanor and you were a minor.

hookah
05-19-2012, 3:00 PM
ok, Was just worried cause I heard you minor record is still visible to doj.

dobek
05-19-2012, 3:20 PM
Shouldn't stop you. My juvenile misdemeanor never came up until I went for CCW

Steve

littlejake
05-19-2012, 3:25 PM
I had some friends who got minor charges back in the early 60's. From their experience, I know they were allowed to have their juvi records sealed at age 18. If that option is open to you, you should do it.

Most of the posts I've noticed in this forum, where people are being put on hold or denial, seem to stem from unresolved arrest records even as a juvenile. DOJ may have access to the arrest record; and may require you to prove disposition of the case.

It appears that since the election of the current AG, DOJ is digging way back in time to try to delay or deny any transfer they can.

Best of luck, hookah.

Ron-Solo
05-19-2012, 7:43 PM
Even if it came up, petty theft isn't a prohibiting crime.

Chaos47
05-19-2012, 7:47 PM
when in doubt do a DOJ personal firearms eligibility check...

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pfecfaqs
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/pfecapp.pdf?

littlejake
05-19-2012, 9:55 PM
Even if it came up, petty theft isn't a prohibiting crime.

Agreed Ron-Solo. But, DOJ seems to have developed a pattern of knowing an arrest was made; and not knowing the disposition. Several people in the forum report delay until they prove disposition of the case.

Arrest records seem to stay on the police blotter forever. If a minor's records are sealed, perhaps DOJ has no access to the resolution of the charge; and puts the person in limbo.

Since, as we agree, it's not a prohibiting offense, then the OP can attempt a DROS and would not be perjuring himself to declare he has no prohibitions. Worst case, DOJ delays. Best case, the OP gets his gun.

Ron-Solo
05-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Agreed

InGrAM
05-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I have one word for you.

"Expunged"

Even if doj or police could look it up they wouldn't be able to use it against you.

But it is too late for that, I am pretty sure.

hookah
05-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Well all this makes me feel better about getting my AR, I will keep you updated. Thanks!!

gobler
05-20-2012, 4:14 AM
I had a juvey misdemeanor expunged. I bought my first shot gun at 18 and a 9mm at 21 without any problems. I don't know what will happen when I apply for my CCW.

Sent from somewhere in space & time...