PDA

View Full Version : COMPOUNDING AN ARREST: 'photos of man posing with guns & knives.'

Sam Hainn
05-07-2007, 1:38 PM
Ok - This guy's actions are kind of immature, but the call for his arrest looks aggravated by his website pics. It doesn't sound like the signs made threats, they were just stupid. But the quote by anti-gun LA city councilman Jack Weiss in the article was probably a motivator for the arrest. I wonder if the same act without seeing his 'website photos' the signs would've just been removed and ignored (I think his using 'glue' was why it's felony vandalism):

When the name "Don Irwin" is typed in that site's search field, two results lead to a user profile that contains photos of a man posing with guns and knives.

"The image of the swastikas is bad enough; those additional images only make it worse," Weiss said.

MAN ARRESTED IN POSTING OF SWASTIKAS ON L.A. OFFICIAL'S DOOR

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valley/la-me-arrest5may05,1,6657341.story?coll=la-editions-valley&ctrack=2&cset=true

A Sherman Oaks resident is held on suspicion of committing felony vandalism at Councilman Jack Weiss' office.

By Steve Hymon, Times Staff Writer
May 5, 2007

A 32-year-old man was arrested Friday in connection with the pasting of swastikas on the district office door of Los Angeles City Councilman Jack Weiss, according to a spokesperson for the LAPD.

Adonis A. Irwin was arrested about 8:30 a.m. after fleeing his home on Natick Avenue in Sherman Oaks, police said. He was taken into custody without incident on suspicion of felony vandalism and jailed in lieu of $40,000 bail.

A lone man was seen early Thursday gluing sheets of paper on the front door of Weiss' office in Sherman Oaks, police said. Three pieces displayed the Nazi flag. Two others contained printed messages, one of which stated: "Our policy: we have no time to listen to Jewish American children!!! If you don't believe us, just try talking to us…. Hail Weiss!"

A man identifying himself as Don Irwin twice visited Weiss' Sherman Oaks office in the last week — on Monday and again Wednesday, according to two constituent complaint forms that he filled out. The forms were obtained by The Times through a public records request.

On both forms he listed a Natick Avenue address and said he was affiliated with the "Child Abuse Prevention Coallition." Weiss spokeswoman Lisa Hansen said Irwin did not have a specific city-related complaint, but she declined to elaborate because police were investigating.

The forms contain only a few words; the first is difficult to decipher but the second reads "NoOne listening" and lists a website for Project Hope International, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit that works to prevent human trafficking in Southeast Asia.

The LAPD said Irwin had been questioned by patrol officers Wednesday for creating a disturbance at Weiss' office. A witness' description of the vandal Thursday resembled Irwin, and police subsequently searched his home and said they found evidence linking him to the crime.

Weiss also confirmed that the suspect had provided another website address to one of the district office employees. When the name "Don Irwin" is typed in that site's search field, two results lead to a user profile that contains photos of a man posing with guns and knives.

"The image of the swastikas is bad enough; those additional images only make it worse," Weiss said. "I think that it sends a very good message to the community that the LAPD prioritizes and solves these types of cases so quickly because the essence of a hate crime is to spread the impact throughout the community."

tenpercentfirearms
05-07-2007, 1:55 PM
Amazing. It is a crime to put swastikas on an assemblyman's door? Worse yet if you do that and have guns, that makes you a felon?

I am so glad I don't live in Los Angeles.

bwiese
05-07-2007, 2:10 PM
Let's not worry about this stoopidsh*t bozo nutjob.

He was just asking for trouble and likely just needed the attention.

pnkssbtz
05-07-2007, 2:31 PM
I think the vandalism is that he was GLUING the signs to the front door.

I know from first hand accounts that gluing stuff to front doors that it causes serious damage. (An incident with a neighboor, I superglued bologna to his front door... amazing how much work it takes to get it off...)

slick_711
05-07-2007, 2:36 PM
I don't know about being deserving of a felony, but the guy is certainly an idiot. Like Bill said, let's not even worry about somethin stupid like that when we have BWO to keep an eye on and support.

Crazed_SS
05-07-2007, 2:50 PM
In Politically Correct California, posting anything anti a race or religion is just asking for problems. It's the communist way of stomping free speech. The thing this guy was doing was completely stupid. He'll be charged with a hate crime and have a record for the rest of his life. Not smart.

So you think it's OK to go around posting hate material on propety that isnt yours?

You guys amaze me.

slick_711
05-07-2007, 3:03 PM
I said no such thing? I find it contemptible and if I'd found him posting swastikas on my house I'd have hospitalized him. I simply said it may not be worthy of a felony and/or our attention.

Personally I'm in favor of creative sentencing. If I were a judge and encountered this guys case, where he is clearly racist and possibly militant, I would sentence him to 1 month in county lock-up (better if you can subtly make sure it's a mixed race cell), and then 36 hours of community service in east-central L.A. doing city beautification (in other words, painting over gang graffiti). If he doesn't learn some compassion from those two activities I'd say hes a lost cause. You ever see what the A.P. Bloods do to white people that don't belong in their neighborhood? Let alone white people that are painting over their tags...

dychen
05-07-2007, 3:33 PM
You ever see what the A.P. Bloods do to white people that don't belong in their neighborhood? Let alone white people that are painting over their tags...

Cause putting someone thats already raciest in that kind of situation is going to make him change his mindset :rolleyes:

StukaJr
05-07-2007, 3:55 PM
Cause putting someone thats already raciest in that kind of situation is going to make him change his mindset :rolleyes:

"A lone man was seen early Thursday gluing sheets of paper on the front door of Weiss' office in Sherman Oaks, police said. Three pieces displayed the Nazi flag. Two others contained printed messages, one of which stated: "Our policy: we have no time to listen to Jewish American children!!! If you don't believe us, just try talking to us…. Hail Weiss!""

The message is lost on many of you - the swastikas were meant to state that Weiss is a Nazi, using heavy handed sarcasm...

The actions of the individual are rather questionable and possibly suggest unstable mental state - multiple unanswered (and illegible) complaints do not justify acts of vandalism. I'm not defending the individual but at the same time - it's an act of hate crime but not necessarily a hate crime...

Would I want him to keep his guns? Perhaps not. Does the behavior violate at least two requirements on FFL form? In my opinion, yes it does.

Crazed_SS
05-07-2007, 3:58 PM
You ever see what the A.P. Bloods do to white people that don't belong in their neighborhood?

I dunno.. the same thing they do to anyone who doesnt belong there?

Solidmch
05-07-2007, 4:27 PM
Let's not worry about this stoopidsh*t bozo nutjob.

He was just asking for trouble and likely just needed the attention.

+1 on that

Sam Hainn
05-07-2007, 4:28 PM
I think the vandalism is that he was GLUING the signs to the front door.

I know from first hand accounts that gluing stuff to front doors that it causes serious damage. (An incident with a neighboor, I superglued bologna to his front door... amazing how much work it takes to get it off...)

That's what I said too. Using glue = felony vandalism. I'm not concerend with this guy. He sounds nuts. But his message looks like it was political protest not a hate crime. If he did not have a website with gun pic poses would this crime of glued signs been treated like other grafitti & vadalism? just cleaned up and ignored? This guy's now arrested and his website photos were a factor. This & his prior actions will get him a restraining order by Weiss which means he won't own guns anymore like it or not. He's an idiot. But will charges for acts now done in typical political protest that aren't hate crime be made to appear worse just cause you have a website with 'gun photos'? :rolleyes:

Socal858
05-07-2007, 4:41 PM
ok guys everbody delete all the pictures online where you have your arm around your spouse/girlfriend/sister/mother/random female, before we get arrested for sexual harrassment

Sam Hainn
05-07-2007, 4:46 PM
ok guys everbody delete all the pictures online where you have your arm around your spouse/girlfriend/sister/mother/random female, before we get arrested for sexual harrassment

Or being a pimp. or prostitution.

Rumpled
05-07-2007, 4:48 PM
First off, this guy is a whack job.
But, this whole "hate crime" bothers me. If someone calls Rosie fat in the PRK they just might call it a "hate crime".
I'm gonna assume Irwin is Jewish, not by his surname; but by his message in reference to being a Jewish American child. Wouldn't this be a lot like an African-American calling someone a Uncle Tom?
Is Jew on Jew a hate crime? Or any X on X?

It's free speech, but poorly done.

Crazed_SS
05-07-2007, 4:50 PM
It's not free speech of you're vandalizing property.

How would you like it if the Brady's came and glued anti-gun literature on your front door?

M. Sage
05-07-2007, 5:06 PM
In Politically Correct California, posting anything anti a race or religion is just asking for problems. It's the communist way of stomping free speech. The thing this guy was doing was completely stupid. He'll be charged with a hate crime and have a record for the rest of his life. Not smart.

Uhh, I'm sorry, but if someone glued a swastika to my door, they might get shot. Better to arrest them instead, really.

Super_tactical
05-07-2007, 6:31 PM
First off, this guy is a whack job.
But, this whole "hate crime" bothers me. If someone calls Rosie fat in the PRK they just might call it a "hate crime".
I'm gonna assume Irwin is Jewish, not by his surname; but by his message in reference to being a Jewish American child. Wouldn't this be a lot like an African-American calling someone a Uncle Tom?
Is Jew on Jew a hate crime? Or any X on X?

It's free speech, but poorly done.

If a black American put an "Uncle Tom" message on Bil Cosby's door, he probably wouldn't be in trouble because Sharpton and Jackson would stir a riot.

Fate
05-07-2007, 6:57 PM
The message is lost on many of you - the swastikas were meant to state that Weiss is a Nazi, using heavy handed sarcasm... I agree with that.

When I was reading the article about the event the day after it happened, the "hate crime" line the paper and LEOs were pushing didn't jive. He was calling Weiss a Nazi who had no time or inclination to "help Jewish kids."

He would've been much smarter to make up some signs calling Weiss a Nazi and picket on the sidewalk outside of the office.

LAK Supply
05-07-2007, 7:26 PM
This guy is most definitely an idiot..... felony though? Come on......

tenpercentfirearms
05-07-2007, 7:34 PM
I find it funny that people think the nut job was trying to show everyone that the nut job was a nazi so he glued the nazi stuff to the guy's door. The nut job thinks Weiss is a nazi and he probably rules with an iron hand. I think it was good political expression and anyone who would shoot someone over gluing something to their front door of their business office really needs to be examined as well. Gluing nazi symbols to inanimate objects is hardly a reason for self defense.

I swear this board is just as bad as the anti's in having knee jerk reactions and going off the deep end.

SemiAutoSam
05-07-2007, 7:44 PM
You very funny If the Brady bunch made it past my rottweiler and my perimeter defences they can post what ever pics on my front door that they want.

OF course they first have to find the door. that might be a challenge.

It's not free speech of you're vandalizing property.

How would you like it if the Brady's came and glued anti-gun literature on your front door?

jdberger
05-07-2007, 8:21 PM
"A lone man was seen early Thursday gluing sheets of paper on the front door of Weiss' office in Sherman Oaks, police said. Three pieces displayed the Nazi flag. Two others contained printed messages, one of which stated: "Our policy: we have no time to listen to Jewish American children!!! If you don't believe us, just try talking to us…. Hail Weiss!""

The message is lost on many of you - the swastikas were meant to state that Weiss is a Nazi, using heavy handed sarcasm...

The actions of the individual are rather questionable and possibly suggest unstable mental state - multiple unanswered (and illegible) complaints do not justify acts of vandalism. I'm not defending the individual but at the same time - it's an act of hate crime but not necessarily a hate crime...

Would I want him to keep his guns? Perhaps not. Does the behavior violate at least two requirements on FFL form? In my opinion, yes it does.

3 cheers for StukaJr for reading comprehension.

It was clearly political protest, in bad taste, but political protest nonetheless.

It seemed to escape the reporter's notice, too.

Says a lot about our schools....:(