PDA

View Full Version : Interarms ak 47 failure

glock20od
05-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Hello to all,
I just purchased a interarms ak 47 and it has failed on every shot since the first time I took it to the range.First day I fired 40 rounds through her and had 40 fail to feeds.Came home and thought maybe it could be a magazine or ammo problem.So I took it out today with tula ammo,golden bear,golden tiger and silver bear thinking it might be the ammo.Also brought along 3 kinds of mags tapco,norinco and a bulgarian mag.Every shot there after was a fail to feed.I call high standard the company that builds these things and I am waiting to here back with there instructions.
Thought I might give a shout out to all the ak gurus out there to hear there input.

Cheers!!!!

Javi
05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear that :( That's my future AK. I've read a good number of reviews on Interarms(mostly their 74) and this is the first I've heard of failures to feed, that's weird. Don't happen to have any pictures of it? Good that you have a good warranty through Interarms.

RobGR
05-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Simple question to begin, did you lube and clean the AK, especially the bolt, before you took it out?

I think it was an Interarms AK I checked out about 8 months ago and the receiver was really tight, it was tough going for me to replace the bolt/bolt carrier after I removed it from the receiver for inspection. Every round FTF is horrible though.

glock20od
05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Hello,yes I did clean and oil it and yes the bolt carrier was super tight took almost 15 min to put back.Not normal for a ak from what I have seen.

SJgunguy24
05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
What's your location? If your in the bay area pm me and I'll take a look at it for you. It should be easy enough to get it running.

glock20od
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I am in Sacramento.thanks for the offer that is really nice of you...

RobGR
05-18-2012, 11:13 PM
True, it was so apparent to me when I reviewed it, unlike most AKs I'd handled. Okay, so that's an issue.

When you rack the bolt, be sure to release it and let it slap forward, do not ride the bolt forward... sounds like the tight receiver isn't allowing for that to happen though. Hmmmm, it'd be good to hear SJgunguy or any of the other AK dudes chime in on how to remedy this.

Maybe lube up the rails the bolt carrier is riding on and, with the gun unloaded, sit there and rack the bolt backwards and forwards, this time riding it forward but with some force to loosen that b*tch up. I recently got and FNP 9 handgun and the recoil spring was stupid tight on it. The first 250 rounds were a terrible ordeal, it didn't lock open on the last round, ejected at my forehead and also had multiple FTFs. I had it sitting with the slide locked open to loosen up the recoil spring for almost a month. That seemed to do the trick for me b/c now it's fine. I'm hoping you just need to get rough with your new AK to break it in.

Did you manually insert any rounds into the chamber and fire them off?

RobGR
05-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Ah, there's SJgunguy, nice, you're all set, take him up on his offer.

NorCalK9.com
05-19-2012, 12:18 AM
If you cant get down to sjgunguy let me know. Im near stockton/tracy. Sj has fixed more ak's than ive seen in real life but i know my way around a KA or is it called ak lol

tujungatoes
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
hmm...and here I've been saying I hear nothing but good about the Interarms rifles. Can you describe your FTF's? How is the cartridge oriented when it stops? That will help us understand what's going on.

also things that have been touched on already

1. don't ride the charging handle home. This is very common among new AK owners. Just pull back and then sidestep it.
2. Just how tight are the top rails? You may need to do some polishing to smooth things out.
3. Less oil more grease. I forget where I heard it, but the method I use is "If it slides grease it. If it rolls oil it."

Kind of a bummer to get an AK that doesn't function 100%. It shouldn't have shipped that way, but hopefully it'll be a simple fix.

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Field strip it then remove the trigger and firing assembly and then take some extremely fine sand paper and smooth out the rails the bolt rides on if all else fails.

glock20od
05-19-2012, 12:30 PM
It is basically short stroking the spent round is still in he chamber and i have to manually charge the bolt to bring in the next.Should i send it back to interarms because it is brand new with a warranty?

Richard Erichsen
05-19-2012, 1:34 PM
Field strip it then remove the trigger and firing assembly and then take some extremely fine sand paper and smooth out the rails the bolt rides on if all else fails.

Abrasives are the right way to smooth out the upper rails, but the better method is to use 120 and 220 grit valve lap compound (Clover brand is my fav, but any will do). Use the carrier itself, slathered with compound in it's grooves and slide the carrier back and forth vigorously through as many strokes as are needed to improve the action. Switch to 220 grit to polish out the roughness left behind by 120 grit. A small amount of metal is removed from the bolt carrier is well, but a lot less than from the rails which are quite a bit softer unless you fully heat treated your receiver (non-typical).

R

Richard Erichsen
05-19-2012, 1:36 PM
It is basically short stroking the spent round is still in he chamber and i have to manually charge the bolt to bring in the next.Should i send it back to interarms because it is brand new with a warranty?

It's under warranty, so yes. If you were building your AK (often preferable) or the AK was out of warranty, valve lapping compound it until it moves like butter across the rails even without any lubrication.

R

Richard Erichsen
05-19-2012, 1:38 PM
hmm...and here I've been saying I hear nothing but good about the Interarms rifles. Can you describe your FTF's? How is the cartridge oriented when it stops? That will help us understand what's going on.

also things that have been touched on already

1. don't ride the charging handle home. This is very common among new AK owners. Just pull back and then sidestep it.
2. Just how tight are the top rails? You may need to do some polishing to smooth things out.
3. Less oil more grease. I forget where I heard it, but the method I use is "If it slides grease it. If it rolls oil it."

Kind of a bummer to get an AK that doesn't function 100%. It shouldn't have shipped that way, but hopefully it'll be a simple fix.

To the OP, make the dorks at the manufacturer work it out as a first step, there is a 50%/50% chance they will get it right when you get your rifle back. When you become sufficiently frustrated with their lack of progress, follow 'toes recommended actions above.

R

tujungatoes
05-19-2012, 1:43 PM
OK you said failure to feed earlier...What you have is failure to extract. Totally different.

If it's not even clearing the chamber is the bolt carrier moving at all when fired? I'd start by looking real hard at the gas port/block/piston. Could be an obstructed, undersized, or even un-drilled gas port. Could be a gasblock to piston fit issue. Details details details...tell us everything about the failure.

You may just want to send it back. It all depends on how attached you are and how much emotional damage you're going to endure, being separated from your loved one.

*edit* remember richard this is IA not IO. They have a good rep, and the rifle will probably come back perfect. If it was an IO rifle I'd just scream kill it. kill it with fire.

RobGR
05-19-2012, 6:29 PM
OK you said failure to feed earlier...What you have is failure to extract. Totally different.

If it's not even clearing the chamber is the bolt carrier moving at all when fired? I'd start by looking real hard at the gas port/block/piston. Could be an obstructed, undersized, or even un-drilled gas port. Could be a gasblock to piston fit issue. Details details details...tell us everything about the failure.

You may just want to send it back. It all depends on how attached you are and how much emotional damage you're going to endure, being separated from your loved one.

*edit* remember richard this is IA not IO. They have a good rep, and the rifle will probably come back perfect. If it was an IO rifle I'd just scream kill it. kill it with fire.

Indeed, as Toes stated, you have a failure to extract from the sound of your latest post. So you fire off a round, the bolt doesn't move back (?) to extract and eject the spent shell, so you have to manually pull the bolt carrier handle back, ejecting the round and reloading a new round. Well, check that gas port, it may not even be drilled out! Someone had a Lancaster AK like that recently, undrilled gas port hole in the barrel. If that is the issue, send it back immediately on their dime and have them repair/drill it.

Interarms supposedly does have good customer service as opposed to Century and IO Inc., which has terrible customer service.

zfields
05-19-2012, 7:32 PM
That sucks, Haven't heard a single bad thing or issue with IA.

Taildraggerdave
05-19-2012, 7:51 PM
If you get a chance to fire it again, put pieces of black tape vertically behind the charging handle after you have a round chambered. Fire it and see how many pieces of tape have been removed. Maybe the carrier is not moving at all, maybe a little. But at least you will know how far rearward it is moving.
Take care,
Dave

glock20od
05-19-2012, 9:05 PM
Sounds good I will try all of yours guys suggestions.After that I think I will ship it back to Interarms if it still malfunctioning.I will let everyone know how Interarms customer service turns out.Thanks again for all your suggestions

glock20od
05-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey guys giving a update,
is it normal for the consumer to pay for the return shipping on a firearm that is going back due to failure.USPS wants $30.00 for insured shipping.I always though the dealer would take care of you since I have only had the gun for less than 2 weeks.I purchased the gun from RRC firearms and they said I have to go back to High Standard for repairs.
I got a feeling this gun is going to be a money pit before its all over.What are chances of the gun working right when I get it back?Or should I try all your guys suggestions for repair and just do it myself....Thanks...

RobGR
05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Well I suggest you take it to SJgunguy, but maybe that's $30 in gas, however, (and I'm not sure what his policy is) maybe he can review it with you standing there and you'll learn a thing or two about the platform. It might just be a minor fix or there could be some major eff up.

Did you check to see if the gas port hole had been drilled in the barrel? Up until recently I would have said that it would be insane that a manufacturer could leave out such a crucial detail, but about a month ago a fellow Calgunner posted his issues with his Lancaster AKM that ended up not having the gas port hole drilled into the barrel.

If you can identify that as the issue, then they should pay for the damn postage, because that is pure negligence to sell a firearm in that state.

SJgunguy24
05-25-2012, 7:58 AM
OK, i'll try this again. Either bring your rifle or ship it to Valkyrie Arms and I will go through it and correct any issues I find. Unless it'a something major it'll be an hour of time at the most.

NorCalK9.com
05-25-2012, 9:00 AM
@op.
You'll have nothing but success with sjgunguy he's very good at what he does!