PDA

View Full Version : Gun store FUD or not?

bomb_on_bus
05-18-2012, 9:12 PM
Went to a local gun store during a "blow out sale" and was looking at a CA compliant Colt on display and I asked to see the magazine as I was curious about what make it was. It was some cheapo looking magazine and didn't look "Colt" at all. The guy behind the counter takes the magazine out so I can look at it and another sales person comes up and tells the guy that he cannot remove the magazine inside the store and that all rifles have to be sold with a 10 round magazine and they could be fined by the DOJ if they where there taking out the magazine from the rifle.

It sounded like FUD to me what do you guys say.

MrPlink
05-18-2012, 9:22 PM
Fudly fud fud. /thread

SouperMan
05-18-2012, 9:54 PM
FUD

G60
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I could tell it was FUD at "went to a local gun store..."

Turo
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I could tell it was FUD at "went to a local gun store..."

Lol, that's usually how I tell. If the story starts with "at a gun store," you can almost guarantee there's some FUD hiding in there. Sometimes it doesn't even hide, it just jumps out and slaps you right in the face.

IrishPirate
05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
if you heard it in a gun store....99% of the time it's FUD. For some reason, walking through the doors of a gun store makes the ordinary person dumber, and working behind the counter gives you a lobotomy...

Wicked K5
05-18-2012, 10:13 PM
OP: FUD
G60: truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Librarian
05-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Based on conversation reported, not 'FUD' because no other attempt to get you to buy or not buy. Wrong, though.

It's a fairly common error to believe " not able to accept a detachable magazine " to mean "cannot remove the mag". But, a gun configured with a magazine locking device remains legal whether a mag is inserted or not - anyag inserted will still need a tool to remove it.

G60
05-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm curious though, if it was the DOJ that threatened them with these "fines." I wouldn't put it past them.

fighterpilot562
05-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Any time i go i always drop the mag and check it out. hell sometimes they do it before letting me look

Blownmotor
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Sorry not trying to thread jack but I recently went a gun store to check out a rifle they have in stock. It was a Sig 556 but when it was on the wall, the stock was folded without a muzzle extension. So I asked the sales person if that was legal or not and he said it needs to be 26" OAL and that's it. He told me I could have a folding stock as long as it's 26" OAL folded. Can someone or a dealer sell you something like that legally?

glock7
05-19-2012, 5:40 AM
recently,at my lgs(which is also an indoor range) i asked if they would be getting the colt ar in.(hadn't seen it on their shelves)guy tells me they're illegal in CA. I did not argue, knowing they were not, having seen it at a gun store just a few miles away. the next week after i got done shooting, i noticed there was a colt on the shelf, so i asked the guy, i thought you said these were ilegal, guy tells me that CA just approved it....talk about fud....

gatesbox
05-19-2012, 5:54 AM
Sorry not trying to thread jack but I recently went a gun store to check out a rifle they have in stock. It was a Sig 556 but when it was on the wall, the stock was folded without a muzzle extension. So I asked the sales person if that was legal or not and he said it needs to be 26" OAL and that's it. He told me I could have a folding stock as long as it's 26" OAL folded. Can someone or a dealer sell you something like that legally?

If t can pass the flow chart folded and is a BB rifle, then the folding stock is just another of the many evil features covered by the Bullet Button, I.e. fixed magazine configuration.

CalTeacher
05-19-2012, 5:55 AM
And that ie why you should avoid 2nd Amendment Sports like the plague. I've never had a good experience there and their prices are crape.

Outta Control
05-19-2012, 6:02 AM
Question is...:

Did the counter guy use a tool to remove the magazine from the rifle? If so...FUD

or

Did the counter guy use a magnetic button to release the magazine from the rifle? If so...No-FUD go straight to Jail.

:43:

ke6guj
05-19-2012, 6:07 AM
If t can pass the flow chart folded and is a BB rifle, then the folding stock is just another of the many evil features covered by the Bullet Button, I.e. fixed magazine configuration.

but it still needs to be 30" OAL in its shortest fireable configuration.

bigfrank
05-19-2012, 6:14 AM
All the ca. AR's we get in come with the magazine out of them. We install them and check to make sure the BB work correctly. Sometimes they don't. WE have gotten 2 S&W sports where the mag wouldn't come out. S&W locktites the BB lock screw in, so back to the distributor they go.

tanakasan
05-19-2012, 7:40 AM
^^Rimfire 26" OAL minimum fireable configuration, centerfire 30"

Robert

tonelar
05-19-2012, 7:51 AM
:oSorry not trying to thread jack but I recently went a gun store to check out a rifle they have in stock. It was a Sig 556 but when it was on the wall, the stock was folded without a muzzle extension. So I asked the sales person if that was legal or not and he said it needs to be 26" OAL and that's it. He told me I could have a folding stock as long as it's 26" OAL folded. Can someone or a dealer sell you something like that legally?

Unfamiliar with the 556; does the stock block the ejection port when folded?

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2012, 8:36 AM
I tried asking the guy behind the counter to at least clarify what DOJ law or personnel he was talking about and what I got in response was "well there are a stack of DOJ laws on paper that are this high" his hand was about shoulder height :rolleyes: He continued by saying that there are specific tools required to remove the magazine and it cannot be demo'd in store. Of course this was after the other guy behind the counter removed the magazine with a ball point pen.

I was even tempted to show them Calguns forum but I didn't want to go down that path LOL. Sad part about it is I was actually going to buy that CA compliant Colt AR until I was interrupted by the other sales person overseeing the conversation I had with the the sales person who demo'd the gun. Price was good but the FUD wasn't.

Duranimal
05-19-2012, 8:47 AM
I love how its always "i went to the lgs" and then people start throwing around "oh ya nothing but fud coming out of a lgs". Because all the randoms on the internet speak nothing but gospel truth right??? Ya theres alot of people who are less then knowledgable working in any industry, its just funny that everyone on here would sooner take advice from a digital display and a random keyboard.

azthig69
05-19-2012, 8:50 AM
^^Rimfire 26" OAL minimum fireable configuration, centerfire 30"

Robert

He said Sig 556 not Sig 522...

Soldier415
05-19-2012, 8:54 AM
Name the store

lilro
05-19-2012, 8:55 AM
Was it a standard bullet button? Or one of those mags that are locked in and you have to open the reciever to load? I'm thinking it's the latter and they were too lazy to take it out.

Travis590A1
05-19-2012, 9:08 AM
Haha I went to a lgs the other day and asked the guy "can I see that wasr?" And his reply was "wasr? This is romanian!" I just laughed. Just because they are the ones on the other side of the counter doesn't mean they are gun savy.

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2012, 9:08 AM
It was your run of the mill standard bullet button device. The magazine was plastic beyond the magwell but when looking into the ejector port side of the fire arm I could see the magazine was aluminum so I was curious to check it out. Never really saw anything like it and it just looked odd especially inside a "mil-spec" Colt LOL.

The store in question is 2nd Amendment Sports.

lilro
05-19-2012, 9:35 AM
I have a colt Ar and that sounds like the mags I have. I'll try to get a pic.

EDIT: It look like this?:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o537/roknockz/2012-05-19104142.jpg

That's the standard Colt CA-compliant mag. It has Colt Hartford, Connecticut, USA on the baseplate. And it only holds 9 rds. :(

CalTeacher
05-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Name the store

Sounds like 2nd Amendment Sports. Terrible store.

GM4spd
05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
but it still needs to be 30" OAL in its shortest fireable configuration.

Exactly. Pete

http://fototime.com/8D94372F05CF706/xlarge.jpg

GM4spd
05-19-2012, 12:19 PM
:o

Unfamiliar with the 556; does the stock block the ejection port when folded?

No.

tanakasan
05-19-2012, 1:07 PM
He said Sig 556 not Sig 522...
Yes, he did...

26"-folded or rigid-for a centerfire rifle is not legal. Must be 30"+. Unless its a RAW IIRC. I guess I was not clear in my reply.:D

Robert

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2012, 4:06 PM
I have a colt Ar and that sounds like the mags I have. I'll try to get a pic.

EDIT: It look like this?:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o537/roknockz/2012-05-19104142.jpg

That's the standard Colt CA-compliant mag. It has Colt Hartford, Connecticut, USA on the baseplate. And it only holds 9 rds. :(

Thats the one................. ugly as sin too. BTW is the going price for the CA compliant Colts right around the 1k for the basic Colt model?

Also how does that magazine stack up as far as reliability/durability compared to other magazines of comparable capacity?

lilro
05-19-2012, 4:22 PM
Thats the one................. ugly as sin too. BTW is the going price for the CA compliant Colts right around the 1k for the basic Colt model?

Also how does that magazine stack up as far as reliability/durability compared to other magazines of comparable capacity?

Well I've only used them a couple times, and I didn't have any failures, but the follower is not anti-tilt. And like I said, only 9 rds. I use the D&H magazines and they seem more sturdy. Like the aluminum is thicker. The Colt mags do seat in the magwell easier on a closed bolt though. Probably because of the reduced capacity. I got the Colt with the magpul furniture and over-paid @ $1379, so if you can get one for a grand you're doing a LOT better than I did.