PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating the AR15

Caribouriver
05-18-2012, 6:09 PM
There was an informative exchange here about light oiling or wet oiling. Although old, I am new to the AR platform. I have always had the mantra: "If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it." driven into my head. But that was for Garands and bolt actions. This modern stuff is new to me. Synthetic grease. Synthetic oil. I was raised on Lubriplate. I must admit, times have changed. Cars don't start on 6 volts any more. My question is, (maybe it doesn't matter), should AR15 components that slide be greased and the rotating parts be oiled? I can see that grease would attract dirt in a sandy environment. The Garand was run essentially dry in Korea during winter because of freeze up. But if you're just going to the range to punch holes in paper or ring gongs, and want your rifle to function and wear the very least, what's the best?

GMG
05-18-2012, 6:14 PM
You'll get a lot of different answers here. On my AR's I just use oil.

Munny$hot
05-18-2012, 6:31 PM
Your way works fine but in a gritty enviroment I use ATF for cleaning and lube. You can run your ar dry or wet clean but you cant run a dirty ar dry. Google BCM filthy 14 they ran an ar dirty for 33,400 rounds and only broke a couple extractors

ptroxx
05-18-2012, 7:13 PM
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=33227
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=33228
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=33229

donba
05-18-2012, 7:52 PM
dtrox thanks an old marine building a 223...

SURVIVOR619
05-18-2012, 9:34 PM
The classic pics posted by ptroxx are great! Much obliged brother... I've previously only seen two of the three. Followed the recommendations and took my new build put yesterday... Ran flawlessly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cucv
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Great jpg thanks for the share!

sd_shooter
05-19-2012, 6:47 AM
Mobil 1 for me.

Why? The AR is somewhat akin to an engine, the bolt functions as a piston and even has gas rings.

An AK on the other hand, is more like a simple 2-stroke engine, lube is not as critical. Compare to this Cox model airplane engine:
http://coxengines.ca/images/D/cox%20049%20cylinder%207%20piston%202.jpg

The War Wagon
05-19-2012, 6:58 AM
Oil is GOOD, and oil works FINE. Coat 'til dripping... then add a little more. :cool:

DarkSoul
05-19-2012, 7:02 AM
I think that picture above is pretty clear. I have always been told that an AR will run dirty, but it won't run dry. I keep it well lubed, but pretty much short of dripping. After a few mags, is I see oil seeping out of any area..... That's too much.

BucDan
05-19-2012, 7:20 AM
I thought it was "If it rotates, grease it, if it slides, oil it"? Since there is wheel axel grease and not oil.

I know, off topic lol, but it got me thinking that's all.

Now for oiling, I just oil it to where it is almost dripping wet, then I let the oil run off and spread the extra oil elsewhere.

Caribouriver
05-19-2012, 9:24 AM
Looks like oil beats out grease by a long shot.

monk
05-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm using froglube. Going by the guide I'm gonna need to add some more. I put a thin film all over.

mud99
05-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I use motor oil. The more you drench the bolt, the easier it is to clean, because all the carbon will stay in suspension in the oil instead of hardening.

Milsurps
05-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Mobil 1 for me.

Why? The AR is somewhat akin to an engine, the bolt functions as a piston and even has gas rings.

Mobil 1 FTW !

Fresh 5W-30 left over from oil changes on my cars gets saved for the AR's. ;)
Since the AR eats it own exhaust (heat) it seams logical to me. :D

baih777
05-19-2012, 2:22 PM
i use Mobil 1
i also use Slip 2000.
first time out use alot of oil. maybe a couple of drops on the trigger pins.
i wouldnt use grease. your only shooting for a day or less. plus grease is just a bigger mess to clean up.

Legasat
05-19-2012, 2:31 PM
My AR likes wet...I use FP-10

Army
05-19-2012, 5:54 PM
Any more oil then "light" does absolutely nothing more than get the rifle oily in places it doesn't need oil.

If you want to extend your cleaning regimen for the whole evening, go ahead and slop on the ineffective oil (because inside the handguards really needs plenty of oil to do....nothing). If you want to clean only those parts that actually get dirty and be done in 10 minutes at the range before you go home, then lubricate lightly only in the places required, and only use firearm specific lubes.

Pouring on the oil, is like using a fire hose to put out a match.

Chontkleer
05-19-2012, 6:20 PM
In the IDF we (don't know if they still do) would separate uppers and lowers, dunk them in a barrel of motor oil, get into the bcg a bit, wipe everything, put a bunch of fabric patches down the barrel and then reassemble. Same thing with every other weapon except sniper rifles. Not sure what the soldiers down in the desert did though.

FeuerFrei
05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
There was an informative exchange here about light oiling or wet oiling. Although old, I am new to the AR platform. I have always had the mantra: "If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it." driven into my head. But that was for Garands and bolt actions. This modern stuff is new to me. Synthetic grease. Synthetic oil. I was raised on Lubriplate. I must admit, times have changed. Cars don't start on 6 volts any more. My question is, (maybe it doesn't matter), should AR15 components that slide be greased and the rotating parts be oiled? I can see that grease would attract dirt in a sandy environment. The Garand was run essentially dry in Korea during winter because of freeze up. But if you're just going to the range to punch holes in paper or ring gongs, and want your rifle to function and wear the very least, what's the best?

Don't over think the lubrication and don't be afraid to experiment.
AR clones are very forgiving when it comes to lubrication type.
Just remember that an AR needs lube to be reliable. All other things being equal.
Oil or grease will work.
It usually takes 1 of 3 things to make an good AR gag.
1- bad magazines
2- underpowered ammo
3- not enough lube
Other than that you can go nuts with it.