PDA

View Full Version : First AR :)

smurfette
05-18-2012, 8:45 AM
Just put my Smith & Wesson M&P 15 in jail yesterday. I'm now looking for a scope and a conversion kit. Any suggestions on which brand I should get and where I should order?
I will look for ammos too hehe

Thanks!

drifter001
05-18-2012, 8:46 AM
:useless:

congrats!

smurfette
05-18-2012, 8:53 AM
:useless:

congrats!

will post pics when it gets out of jail haha
he must be cold and lonely in jail now.. ><

drifter001
05-18-2012, 8:55 AM
will post pics when it gets out of jail haha
he must be cold and lonely in jail now.. ><

lol im sure you'll keep him nice and warm once he gets out tho :) lol

smurfette
05-18-2012, 8:59 AM
lol im sure you'll keep him nice and warm once he gets out tho :) lol

I need a decent scope before he gets out tho.. I can wait on the conversion kit...

PandaLuv
05-18-2012, 9:01 AM
Nice. Congrats, you beat me to it!

Arkangel
05-18-2012, 9:02 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what conversion kit are you referring to on an AR? Featureless?

smurfette
05-18-2012, 9:09 AM
Nice. Congrats, you beat me to it!
u're getting one too, right? when??

Pardon my ignorance, but what conversion kit are you referring to on an AR? Featureless?
A conversion kit to convert it to .22 so that I can shoot both .223 & .22..like having two guns lol I'm not familiar with ARs.. so I'm still doing some research online.. I heard that the CMMG conversion kit is good..

ir0nclash86
05-18-2012, 9:10 AM
Nice! Where and how much did you pick it up for? I'm still debating on buying an ar15 to replace my other rifle.

drifter001
05-18-2012, 9:11 AM
CMMG isnt too bad....if i were to get one thats the one i would go with...as far as scope you can never go wrong with an ACOG :D

smurfette
05-18-2012, 9:11 AM
Nice! Where and how much did you pick it up for? I'm still debating on buying an ar15 to replace my other rifle.

local gun store, $745.. will PM u haha

smurfette
05-18-2012, 9:13 AM
CMMG isnt too bad....if i were to get one thats the one i would go with...as far as scope you can never go wrong with an ACOG :D

Thanks! I will take a look at the ACOG too..
wait.. which model r u talking about? ACOGs are expensive lol

my range is $150-$250 haha

drifter001
05-18-2012, 9:15 AM

friend got one and really considering trading up my aimpoint for the ACOG

MrExel17
05-18-2012, 9:16 AM
Nice Congrats OP!

Arkangel
05-18-2012, 9:17 AM

A conversion kit to convert it to .22 so that I can shoot both .223 & .22..like having two guns lol I'm not familiar with ARs.. so I'm still doing some research online.. I heard that the CMMG conversion kit is good..

Oh ok, I don't know why but I read conversion kit and started thinking of the fcg and such... I guess I have AK on the brain this morning.

ExtremeX
05-18-2012, 9:23 AM
cmmg evolution stainless 22lr conversion kit

If I were to get one, thats what I would consider.

PandaLuv
05-18-2012, 9:24 AM

Already bought the stripped lower, I just need to sell one of my guns to buy the upper.

loosewreck
05-18-2012, 9:36 AM
wait.. which model r u talking about? ACOGs are expensive lol

my range is $150-$250 haha

I suggest you go and shoot your rifle with irons first, it'll help you figure out what you really need as well as starting you off with good fundamentals.

When you're ready, here are some great vendors and good affordable optics in your budget that come supplied with mounts and great to good warranties.

Red Dots
Vortex SPARC or StrikeFire (don't get the red/green) (https://www.primaryarms.com/Vortex_Optics_s/587.htm) and Primary Arms RDS
(https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm)
Magnifed Nikon P223
http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/nikon+p223/

If you decide later that you want a Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, etc., I strongly suggest checking the private sales sections here and on other gun forums, before you buy brand new.

Atekhed
05-18-2012, 9:43 AM
At what ranges do you think you will be shooting at (50yds, 100yrd, more than 100 yds)?

That will determine whether you might really need a scope/red dot or better off with the iron sights.

Check out www.primaryarms.com or www.swfa.com for some scope/red dot options. Avoid the WalMart/UTG/Barska/NcStar cheapies.

And yeah an ACOG would be nice but definetly price overkill for a new AR shooter. ;)

smurfette
05-18-2012, 9:43 AM
Oh ok, I don't know why but I read conversion kit and started thinking of the fcg and such... I guess I have AK on the brain this morning.
lol I think my next gun will be an AK.. are AKs legal in CA? LOL

cmmg evolution stainless 22lr conversion kit

If I were to get one, thats what I would consider.
Thanks! I will shop for one...which websites would have good deals?

Already bought the stripped lower, I just need to sell one of my guns to buy the upper.
cool! post some pics later hehe

I suggest you go and shoot your rifle with irons first, it'll help you figure out what you really need as well as starting you off with good fundamentals.

When you're ready, here are some great vendors and good affordable optics in your budget that come supplied with mounts and great to good warranties.

Red Dots
Vortex SPARC or StrikeFire (don't get the red/green) (https://www.primaryarms.com/Vortex_Optics_s/587.htm) and Primary Arms RDS
(https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm)
Magnifed Nikon P223
http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/nikon+p223/

If you decide later that you want a Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, etc., I strongly suggest checking the private sales sections here and on other gun forums, before you buy brand new.

I'm looking at the Nikon P223.. is 3-9x40 enough?
Thanks!

smurfette
05-18-2012, 9:46 AM
At what ranges do you think you will be shooting at (50yds, 100yrd, more than 100 yds)?

That will determine whether you might really need a scope/red dot or better off with the iron sights.

Check out www.primaryarms.com or www.swfa.com for some scope/red dot options. Avoid the WalMart/UTG/Barska/NcStar cheapies.

And yeah an ACOG would be nice but definetly price overkill for a new AR shooter. ;)

50 & 100 yards, paper targets and tin cans hehe
Thanks! 3-9x40 enough for these ranges?

loosewreck
05-18-2012, 9:51 AM
Thanks!

Please shoot the rifle first with irons and come to a real understanding of what you expect to do with it, like long range, CQB/HD, bench shooting, etc.

Also, there's no such thing as a real all purpose rifle, there are always compromises.

For now your $$$ is better spent on ammo, mags, cleaning/shooting gear and maybe a sling.

ir0nclash86
05-18-2012, 9:56 AM
Thanks! 3-9x40 enough for these ranges?

Yeah haha thats more than enough juice for those ranges. Youd be able to pick off the nose hairs on someone, jk. I would first learn to use iron sights though before you dive into optics. Even at 50 yards and 100 yards though i like to use magnification too cause its just more fun when looking at those cross hairs. Its all about having a good time at the range.

smurfette
05-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Please shoot the rifle first with irons and come to a real understanding of what you expect to do with it, like long range, CQB/HD, bench shooting, etc.

Also, there's no such thing as a real all purpose rifle, there are always compromises.

For now your $$$ is better spent on ammo, mags, cleaning/shooting gear and maybe a sling.

the problem is when I looked at the sights yesterday, I had difficulties. I don't think I could really see the targets throught those sights.. too small... I'm not sure. but I will try first.. thanks!

what's CQB/HD??

Yes, I'm also shopping for ammos.. for cleaning, is a bore snake enough? I use bore snakes for my shotties and pistol

Yeah haha thats more than enough juice for those ranges. Youd be able to pick off the nose hairs on someone, jk. I would first learn to use iron sights though before you dive into optics. Even at 50 yards and 100 yards though i like to use magnification too cause its just more fun when looking at those cross hairs. Its all about having a good time at the range.

lol u r funny...
it's just easier to use magnification haha

ExtremeX
05-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks! I will shop for one...which websites would have good deals?

Thanks!

You just have to shop around for a good price.

For scopes... I think you should also consider the 1-4x type scopes. I had a 3-9x40 and if this is going to be more of a general purpose AR, the 1-4x tends to be a better fit.

ICONIC
05-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I like the vortex strike fire scopes or the bushnell red dot sights. Both are in your price range.

ir0nclash86
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
the problem is when I looked at the sights yesterday, I had difficulties. I don't think I could really see the targets throught those sights.. too small... I'm not sure. but I will try first.. thanks!

what's CQB/HD??

Yes, I'm also shopping for ammos.. for cleaning, is a bore snake enough? I use bore snakes for my shotties and pistol

lol u r funny...

Try to use iron sights first before you buy an optic. You may love it once you get the hang of it. Try out he next Appleseed Shoot with your rifle and iron sights. Theyll teach you everthing you need to know in how to use them.

loosewreck
05-18-2012, 10:23 AM

That's the challenge and the fun, I can't yet, but I bet there are guys on this forum that can hit a man sized gong out at 600yds all day with irons.

what's CQB/HD??

Sorry, was being lazy, Close Quarters Battle or Combat (I personally hate the term when applied to recreational shooting) but basically I meant tactical training classes or run and gun games. HD is Home Defense.

Bore snake is satisfactory, but its good to have a basic GI M16 cleaning kit (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/59044-7.html) around the rod and chamber brush will come in handy for thorough cleanings or a stuck case.

lol u r funny...

Yeah, I love looking through optics and sometimes magnified optics too, but until you go out and really handle your gun, there are lots of factors that you may not be able to consider. For example weight might be a big deal depending on the application.

Arkangel
05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
lol I think my next gun will be an AK.. are AKs legal in CA? LOL

With BB or featureless and as long as It's not on the banned list.

Offthehook
05-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Dont go cheap on a scope, I have 2 sitting in the closet that were cheap ones.

Arson
05-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Be sure to place your AR in a Sturdy Case or Safe thats Chew Proof:rofl:

SgtMerc
05-18-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with learning on iron sights. After you have shooting fundamentals down, you'll have a better grasp of what you'd like to change.

ACOGs are fairly expensive for a new AR owner, so you might wanna learn the basics on irons; trigger control, breathing, natural point of aim, etc. Essential skills that might save your butt when the optic runs out of batteries or breaks.

Get it zeroed, practice, then later consider optics. At 100yards, lots of people get red dot sights without magnification. And the AR platform is really easy to learn to shoot. 6 hours of practice and a first time shooter can be hitting 12 inch targets at 200yards with ironsights if they put their mind to it

smurfette
05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
You just have to shop around for a good price.

For scopes... I think you should also consider the 1-4x type scopes. I had a 3-9x40 and if this is going to be more of a general purpose AR, the 1-4x tends to be a better fit.

1-4x? does it magnify more?? I'm not familiar with ARs or the scopes..sorry.. and I'm at work, so it's better not to surf too much. I only go on here hehe

I like the vortex strike fire scopes or the bushnell red dot sights. Both are in your price range.
strike fire, bushnell? sorry, my experience is kinda kindergarten.. the one I last tried had a cross in the middle. what's the name of that scope? haha

Try to use iron sights first before you buy an optic. You may love it once you get the hang of it. Try out he next Appleseed Shoot with your rifle and iron sights. Theyll teach you everthing you need to know in how to use them.

I will try. but I like to depend on the scope more when starting.. helps me to build confidence by shooting the targets well.. haha

Sorry, was being lazy, Close Quarters Battle or Combat (I personally hate the term when applied to recreational shooting) but basically I meant tactical training classes or run and gun games. HD is Home Defense.

Bore snake is satisfactory, but its good to have a basic GI M16 cleaning kit (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/59044-7.html) around the rod and chamber brush will come in handy for thorough cleanings or a stuck case.

Yeah, I love looking through optics and sometimes magnified optics too, but until you go out and really handle your gun, there are lots of factors that you may not be able to consider. For example weight might be a big deal depending on the application.
Thanks! will take a look at the kit. I have a kit for my 12 ga but I juse use bore snakes to clean my 20 ga and my pistol..

With BB or featureless and as long as It's not on the banned list.
thanks!
Dont go cheap on a scope, I have 2 sitting in the closet that were cheap ones.
is Nikon P223 considered one of those? @.@

Be sure to place your AR in a Sturdy Case or Safe thats Chew Proof:rofl:
I'm about to get a gun cabinet cuz I have bought 4 guns in 10 months.. @.@
for gun case, should I get the box type or bag type?
I agree with learning on iron sights. After you have shooting fundamentals down, you'll have a better grasp of what you'd like to change.

ACOGs are fairly expensive for a new AR owner, so you might wanna learn the basics on irons; trigger control, breathing, natural point of aim, etc. Essential skills that might save your butt when the optic runs out of batteries or breaks.

Get it zeroed, practice, then later consider optics. At 100yards, lots of people get red dot sights without magnification. And the AR platform is really easy to learn to shoot. 6 hours of practice and a first time shooter can be hitting 12 inch targets at 200yards with ironsights if they put their mind to it

I wanna take a class too.. but don't know where.. I also wanna take those zombie apocalypse classes lol

21SF
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
if yu want a 3-9x40 look at the Zeiss, the glass is awesome, thank me later.

If you want a red dot just spend the extra and get an aimpoint pro.

smurfette
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
if yu want a 3-9x40 look at the Zeiss, the glass is awesome, thank me later.

If you want a red dot just spend the extra and get an aimpoint pro.

just looked.. those are nice lol some are more expensive than the gun itself tho lol

21SF
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah but the 3-9 can be had for under 400....

smurfette
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah but the 3-9 can be had for under 400....

$499 lol maybe I have to really shop shop shop hehe
it's better if it's under $300.. I have to get the 22LR conversion kit too will add up to around $1,200 for the AR >< my original budget was $400-700 lol

21SF
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
449.00 no shipping, no tax.

http://www.sportoptics.com/Zeiss-Rifle-Scopes.aspx

you missed out it was 389.00 all last year.

21SF
05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
for an AR i rather have a red dot anyway. Aimpoint PRO is a good deal.

I cant comment on botach, i get mixed reviews.

http://www.botachtactical.com/aipariop.html

smurfette
05-18-2012, 1:00 PM
449.00 no shipping, no tax.

http://www.sportoptics.com/Zeiss-Rifle-Scopes.aspx

you missed out it was 389.00 all last year.

for an AR i rather have a red dot anyway. Aimpoint PRO is a good deal.

I cant comment on botach, i get mixed reviews.

http://www.botachtactical.com/aipariop.html

oops.. I thought it was $499 lol... damn... I missed it >< I will see if I can find one at $300 something... is it good for .223 caliper AR?

red dot is for closer range?

Arkangel
05-18-2012, 1:01 PM
$499 lol maybe I have to really shop shop shop hehe
it's better if it's under $300.. I have to get the 22LR conversion kit too will add up to around $1,200 for the AR >< my original budget was $400-700 lol

AR's also tend to multiply, so be careful ;)

As for optics, I say save some more $$ and get an optic you want and not something you settled for. As others have said learn on the irons and then move forward.

Atekhed
05-18-2012, 1:03 PM

At those ranges a nice red dot sight or 1-4x24 scope will be fine. Since you probably are just range shooting for now you can get away with a lower cost but decent quality model.

Look at Vortex SPARC/StrikeFire, Primary Arms, Nikon M-233 1-4x, Mueller SpeedShot 1-4x, and Burris TAC30 are good examples of low cost but decent quality sights that would work for you AR for what you want to do for now.

I do agree though work with the iron sights at first, learn them and then move up to a optical sight. Never know when your optic is going to fail.

Does the M&P15 Sport still come with Magpul MBUIS? If so even better if you move to an optic.

21SF
05-18-2012, 1:10 PM
Yeah maybe you should get decent with irons first and shoot friends scopes so you can decide what you want.

At first i didnt think i cared about scope quality. Then i saw what i was missing from the inferior optics.

IPSICK
05-18-2012, 1:12 PM

I wanted to suggest the above to you in the other thread but I didn't know if you were getting tired of my advice.

However, if you are looking at scopes you'll need either a red dot that can co-witness (search this term, you are likely unfamiliar with it) to your front sight or a powered scope (likely minimum 3x) to look past the front sight.

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Red dot $92.87 @ Amazon (might need to buy a mount to co-witness):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aLtjFdxmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
(http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM)

Primary Arms 3-9x40 Illuminated Scope $89.99 (will need a mount, see suggestion below):

https://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/pknwg.xycut/v/vspfiles/photos/PA39X-2.jpg?1333119794 (https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_39x40_Scope_PA39X_p/pa39x.htm)

American Defense AD-RECON - 30MM $159.99 @ Primary Arms (if you go cheap on a scope at least invest in this mount so you can easily upgrade scope later):

https://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/pknwg.xycut/v/vspfiles/photos/AD-RECON%2030-2.jpg?1333119794 (https://www.primaryarms.com/American_Defense_ADRECON_30MM_p/ad-recon%2030.htm)

Well, happy shopping!:)

Btw, these are budget options (other than the mount). You could spend more but for now it sounds like you just want to get running. Honestly for your distances a red dot is probably best but then again so are irons. Irons are way cheaper. Save your money and invest in ammo.

loosewreck
05-18-2012, 1:21 PM
smurfette, you and pandaluv should get together and have an AR study group before you guys start whipping out the credit card. This thread is already full of great advice and links, but I'm afraid you're ready to pull the trigger without completely understanding and knowing your target.

When you get home, stop, take a breath, put the credit cards in another room and acknowledge that you have contracted BRD. Then spend hours reading up.

Here's two links that you should visit and join when you have free time. THAT GOES FOR YOU TOO PANDA :D

http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php (http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php) - careful, these folks will really love you guys :43: SPECIALLY YOU PANDA!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html

Edit: here's one more that might help if you have percision shooting questions
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19&page=1)

IPSICK
05-18-2012, 1:49 PM
smurfette, you and pandaluv should get together and have an AR study group before you guys start whipping out the credit card. This thread is already full of great advice and links, but I'm afraid you're ready to pull the trigger without completely understanding and knowing your target.

When you get home, stop, take a breath, put the credit cards in another room and acknowledge that you have contracted BRD. Then spend hours reading up.

Here's two links that you should visit and join when you have free time. THAT GOES FOR YOU TOO PANDA :D

http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php (http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php) - careful, these folks will really love you guys :43: SPECIALLY YOU PANDA!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19&page=1)

Awww, you're no fun. I'm just trying to help boost our economy by encouraging others to do so.

Btw, if anyone buys something from Amazon use the link below first so Calguns Foundation gets something out of it.

Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/?&tag=calgunfounda-20&camp=216797&creative=394561&linkCode=ur1&adid=1KRVJNR564PNY8YZ6TYJ&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgunsfoundation.org%2Fco mponent%2Fcontent%2Farticle%2F1-news%2F193-buy-at-amazon-through-cgf.html)

MrPlink
05-18-2012, 1:55 PM
smurfette, you and pandaluv should get together and have an AR study group before you guys start whipping out the credit card.

LOL

smurfette
05-18-2012, 2:13 PM
AR's also tend to multiply, so be careful ;)

As for optics, I say save some more $$ and get an optic you want and not something you settled for. As others have said learn on the irons and then move forward.
LOL
sure I will :)
At those ranges a nice red dot sight or 1-4x24 scope will be fine. Since you probably are just range shooting for now you can get away with a lower cost but decent quality model.

Look at Vortex SPARC/StrikeFire, Primary Arms, Nikon M-233 1-4x, Mueller SpeedShot 1-4x, and Burris TAC30 are good examples of low cost but decent quality sights that would work for you AR for what you want to do for now.

I do agree though work with the iron sights at first, learn them and then move up to a optical sight. Never know when your optic is going to fail.

Does the M&P15 Sport still come with Magpul MBUIS? If so even better if you move to an optic.

Yeah maybe you should get decent with irons first and shoot friends scopes so you can decide what you want.

At first i didnt think i cared about scope quality. Then i saw what i was missing from the inferior optics.

I wanted to suggest the above to you in the other thread but I didn't know if you were getting tired of my advice.

However, if you are looking at scopes you'll need either a red dot that can co-witness (search this term, you are likely unfamiliar with it) to your front sight or a powered scope (likely minimum 3x) to look past the front sight.

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Red dot $92.87 @ Amazon (might need to buy a mount to co-witness):

[/URL]

Primary Arms 3-9x40 Illuminated Scope $89.99 (will need a mount, see suggestion below):

(http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM)

American Defense AD-RECON - 30MM $159.99 @ Primary Arms (if you go cheap on a scope at least invest in this mount so you can easily upgrade scope later):

Well, happy shopping!:)

Btw, these are budget options (other than the mount). You could spend more but for now it sounds like you just want to get running. Honestly for your distances a red dot is probably best but then again so are irons. Irons are way cheaper. Save your money and invest in ammo.

I tried my friend's CX4 with red dot.. wasn't magnified enough.. couldn't shoot well...

http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php (https://www.primaryarms.com/American_Defense_ADRECON_30MM_p/ad-recon%2030.htm) - careful, these folks will really love you guys :43: SPECIALLY YOU PANDA!

[URL]http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html

lol we should haha

I don't have credit cards. I use my income to get all my guns.. no spending for future haha

yes you guys are great! I haven't tried the gun yet cuz he's still in jail >< lol

I tried a CX4 with red dot.. couldn't aim,,, wasn't magnified enough

tried Marlin 17, the scope on there was great..

p2rider426
05-18-2012, 2:20 PM
Thanks!

Great scope! 3-9 is more than enough. I would like to agree with everyone else and say you should definitely get proficient with the iron sights first before you throw glass on it

smurfette
05-18-2012, 2:22 PM
Great scope! 3-9 is more than enough. I would like to agree with everyone else and say you should definitely get proficient with the iron sights first before you throw glass on it

sure.. I will try it without the scope first.. but I just think it's gonna be difficult haha

p2rider426
05-18-2012, 2:30 PM
sure.. I will try it without the scope first.. but I just think it's gonna be difficult haha

Well there is only 1 way to get good with irons. Practice practice practice. I've had my AR for 6 months now and have ran 2000 rounds through it with stock iron sights. Still feel like there is A LOT of potential left in them as far as how accurate I can be with them. I've started to enjoy shooting irons so much I've been going back and taking the glass off of my .22s to play with them.

smurfette
05-18-2012, 2:36 PM

Well there is only 1 way to get good with irons. Practice practice practice. I've had my AR for 6 months now and have ran 2000 rounds through it with stock iron sights. Still feel like there is A LOT of potential left in them as far as how accurate I can be with them. I've started to enjoy shooting irons so much I've been going back and taking the glass off of my .22s to play with them.

u're so good lol
yeah.. it's lighter without the scope too.. and more convenient to carry I guess.. will see

SgtMerc
05-18-2012, 5:34 PM
u're so good lol
yeah.. it's lighter without the scope too.. and more convenient to carry I guess.. will see

Not only that, but shooting with irons is more challenging. Once you're proficient with stock sights, you'll have all that practice and now will know the basics of how to sight in and adjust your optic.

A lot of guys don't learn how to shoot their rifles, then think that having an optic will make them a super amazing sniper. That's not the case. Then when they fail the fundamentals, they blame the glass.

Learn to bicycle before hopping on the Ducati.

SgtMerc
05-18-2012, 5:37 PM
Btw, if anyone buys something from Amazon use the link below first so Calguns Foundation gets something out of it.

Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/?&tag=calgunfounda-20&camp=216797&creative=394561&linkCode=ur1&adid=1KRVJNR564PNY8YZ6TYJ&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgunsfoundation.org%2Fco mponent%2Fcontent%2Farticle%2F1-news%2F193-buy-at-amazon-through-cgf.html)

I don't have any idea how that link is supposed to work. Every time i click it, it opens up my regular amazon page. When i get to the end of my transaction, nothing is different about it. Prices are all the same and there's no "receipt" for a donation. Is there an indication of whether any, or how much would go to CGN?

IPSICK
05-18-2012, 5:40 PM
I don't have any idea how that link is supposed to work. Every time i click it, it opens up my regular amazon page. When i get to the end of my transaction, nothing is different about it. Prices are all the same and there's no "receipt" for a donation. Is there an indication of whether any, or how much would go to CGN?

No indication, but supposedly as long as you go to that page first some portion of the sale (up to 15%) goes to Calguns Foundation.

Caribouriver
05-18-2012, 6:02 PM
I got the same thing 2 weeks ago. M&P15 ORC. I got MBUS folding front and rear ($31 & $51 respectively) and Vortex Strikefire red only red dot ($169 deliv). That's it. Happy with set up. LGS guy said it could melt a plastic front sight under heavy usage. Don't know if that is likely.

smurfette
05-18-2012, 7:58 PM
Not only that, but shooting with irons is more challenging. Once you're proficient with stock sights, you'll have all that practice and now will know the basics of how to sight in and adjust your optic.

A lot of guys don't learn how to shoot their rifles, then think that having an optic will make them a super amazing sniper. That's not the case. Then when they fail the fundamentals, they blame the glass.

Learn to bicycle before hopping on the Ducati.

good point! will practice with stock sights til I master the basics.. can't imagine how cool I would look If I shoot better with no scope than others with their scope lol. J/K.. it's too early to dream.. Thanks anyways :)

I got the same thing 2 weeks ago. M&P15 ORC. I got MBUS folding front and rear ($31 & $51 respectively) and Vortex Strikefire red only red dot ($169 deliv). That's it. Happy with set up. LGS guy said it could melt a plastic front sight under heavy usage. Don't know if that is likely.

what's ORC?

SURVIVOR619
05-18-2012, 8:23 PM
what's ORC?

I think it's Optics Ready Carbine? Nit certain on the "C" but for sure on the OR...

BTW, congrats. And, way off topic but did your dog's surgery go well?! Hope so!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfette
05-18-2012, 8:27 PM
I think it's Optics Ready Carbine? Nit certain on the "C" but for sure on the OR...

BTW, congrats. And, way off topic but did your dog's surgery go well?! Hope so!!

Thanks!

yes, his stitches were removed today... he started walking with that leg a few days ago already.. the vet & nurses said that he was recovering so quickly hehe
he finished the meds already.. and I'm doing physical therapy on his leg, massaging it twice a day.. :)

SURVIVOR619
05-18-2012, 8:39 PM
Thanks!

yes, his stitches were removed today... he started walking with that leg a few days ago already.. the vet & nurses said that he was recovering so quickly hehe
he finished the meds already.. and I'm doing physical therapy on his leg, massaging it twice a day.. :)

Great!! I'm sure you're hella relieved! Have fun with the M&P! I have the 15-22 and love it!!

smurfette
05-18-2012, 8:45 PM
Great!! I'm sure you're hella relieved! Have fun with the M&P! I have the 15-22 and love it!!

Thanks! not relieved cuz he started chewing again.. cuz he doesn't get to exercise now.. just got him some toys and bones, and he especially likes the chuck it ball haha. great

onegtalon
05-18-2012, 8:54 PM
At least you'll get to shoot it in 10 days. I'm still waiting on a PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube for my build (30-60 days out!) :(

As far as a scope I bought this today from Natchezss: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 BDC refurb for $219. I wasn't going to get the scope yet but I figured what the heck... (I need to save up for the Larue mount anyway so I won't use the scope right away).

And yea I plan to eventually shoot over 200+ yards later... When I get the buffer tube I'll just use the Magpul BUIS's till im good with it.... I see lots of Tuesday nights at Sunnyvale Rod & Gun.. :)

Sent from my iPhone...

smurfette
05-18-2012, 8:58 PM
At least you'll get to shoot it in 10 days. I'm still waiting on a PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube for my build (30-60 days out!) :(

As far as a scope I bought this today from Natchezss: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 BDC refurb for $219. I wasn't going to get the scope yet but I figured what the heck... (I need to save up for the Larue mount anyway so I won't use the scope right away).

And yea I plan to eventually shoot over 200+ yards later... When I get the buffer tube I'll just use the Magpul BUIS's till im good with it.... I see lots of Tuesday nights at Sunnyvale Rod & Gun.. :)

Sent from my iPhone...

30-60 days.. damn

I've never been to the one in Sunnyvale.. is it fun there?

edwardjames
05-19-2012, 12:02 AM
congrats on rifle choice! you will instantly love it

MrPlink
05-19-2012, 2:18 AM
Plus 1 for irons first. Build fundamentals

smurfette
05-19-2012, 9:46 AM
congrats on rifle choice! you will instantly love it
can't wait >< 10 more days ><