PDA

View Full Version : West Hollywood and Legal Ammunition...

mr.v.
05-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi all--

I've pretty much bought all my ammunition from Turners (only 7.62x39, .22, and shells). However, I've been thinking about ordering it online. I'm confused because I've read places that cities like LA and SF ban online ammunition purchases. Is this true in West Hollywood? Any fellow WeHolinos(or whatever we're called) out there know?

I went to the http://WeHo.org website and then to the municipal codes:
http://nt2.scbbs.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=200541965&infobase=procode-6&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg
and I noticed when searching for "ammunition" that nothing came up specifically barring online ammunition purchase. It does say that a business must keep a fingerprint record...

More disturbingly I came across the following...
Title 9 PUBLIC PEACE, MORALS AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 1 - PROHIBITED CONDUCT AND OFFENSES
Chapter 9.04 GENERAL OFFENSES
9.04.210 Sale of Certain Ammunition Prohibited.
Which states: a.The wholesale or retail gun dealer shall not sell, lease or otherwise transfer, for a consideration, to any person, other than any authorized law enforcement personnel, any firearm ammunition that has no hunting or marksmanship purpose and which is designed to expand upon impact. Such firearm ammunition includes, but is not limited to, Black Talon bullets, 9 millimeter bullets, .50 caliber bullets, teflon-coated bullets and hollow-point bullets.

does this mean it's illegal to buy 9mm or hollow points? Is this JUST sales, e.g. If i decided to get a 9mm handgun and purchased bullets it would be illegal?

I'm guessing this is just related to sales and I can buy hollowpoints+9mm+anything else I want online, but it seems fairly disturbing none-the-less. Would anyone worry? I've got small kids in the house and I really don't want the wife and kids (and fine I'll admit it, me neither) to get flashbanged by SWAT at 2am because I wanted to save $80 by buying online...

Sander77
05-07-2007, 8:02 AM
It's a really confusing topic... See a similar post I just put up a few days ago: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=57156

But I think we found that it's not illegal to purchase ammo online and have it shipped to SF - though there seem to be certain restrictions.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been buying ammo (from shotgun shells to handgun to rifle) online for years, and I know there are a great many others that do, too.

But certainly, I think it behooves us to know what the law really states...

StukaJr
05-07-2007, 9:32 AM
I believe that would mean that a retail or wholesale store located in West Hollywood cannot peddle the aforementioned wares - dealers exclusively... There is nothing, however, about purchasing the given cartridges outside of the WeHo and importing it in... The gray area if you sell the said ammunition to another person while in the City of West Hollywood.

mblat
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
There is nothing illigal in buying LEGAL product on internet, regardless of where you live. That is said a lot of online retailers WON'T ship ammo to WH or LA for that matter.

Charliegone
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
teflon bullets...sigh..idiots..

The claim was made by the media that the teflon also lubricated the point of impact and increased penetration dramatically. That claim, in reference to soft body armor, was convincingly refuted by government test, with the Justice Dept. saying it "has little or no effect on the penetrating qualities of the projectile" and the Treasury Dept. labeling it as "little more than a cosmetic additive." But the fact that Teflon protects the bore from the ill effects of the hard bullet core is incontrovertible. By end of 1981, KTW was offering its products in most handgun calibers. Sales were still limited to police agencies or police officers ordering through federally licensed dealers, and were still limited in volume.

jumbopanda
05-07-2007, 3:23 PM
Legislators creating laws out of pure ignorance? How is that possible?! :rolleyes:

StukaJr
05-07-2007, 3:45 PM
I think that's WeHo's way of saying "We don't want evil gunstores to detract from the rows of dildo shops, Tomcat Theaters and bondage nightclubs" :cool:

Spitfire75
05-07-2007, 9:19 PM
Check out the online vendor's shipping policy. Certain vendors don't like to ship into LA county, and some aren't afraid to do it. Fortunately, I have places outside of LA county where I can have ammunition shipped, so I don't have to worry about it too much. It's a pain in the ***, but do I really want a case of ammo sitting on my front step in my craphole neighborhood anyway? I'm very close to West Hollywood...just a little southwest.

Charliegone
05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I think that's WeHo's way of saying "We don't want evil gunstores to detract from the rows of dildo shops, Tomcat Theaters and bondage nightclubs" :cool:

Hmm...bondage nightclubs...

:p

rohanreed
05-08-2007, 9:30 AM
Check out the online vendor's shipping policy. Certain vendors don't like to ship into LA county, and some aren't afraid to do it. Fortunately, I have places outside of LA county where I can have ammunition shipped, so I don't have to worry about it too much. It's a pain in the ***, but do I really want a case of ammo sitting on my front step in my craphole neighborhood anyway? I'm very close to West Hollywood...just a little southwest.

I've seen many that won't ship into the city of Los Angeles, but haven't had any trouble with the county of Los Angeles. I usually have ammo shipped to me at work in Malibu without any issues.