PDA

View Full Version : Private party transfer new extra report?

boglbus
05-17-2012, 10:15 PM
I was talking to a friend who is a store manager at a local big 5, and he told me there is a new law and/or paperwork that must be filed if you pick up multiple private party transfers within 5 days of one another. What is that about? We only talked briefly but I'm picking up two guns Saturday, and doing two transfers tomorrow as well, and he was making sure I wasn't picking them up at the same time. I guess its only when you pick them up. I'll get more info tomorrow, but I've never heard of this, and I couldn't find anything on it. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Munk
05-17-2012, 10:31 PM
So long as you follow the proper waiting periods... go nuts. 1 in 30 has no bearing on PPTs, and there's no period limit for long guns.

There's also no limitation on how much of your own money you'd like to dump on guns.

The only thing that may draw scrutiny is if you're buying a boatload of guns and are re-selling them. They might want you to get a dealer license at that point.

asm777
05-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds like FUD to me. Maybe they're talking about this form:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

However, since Big 5 only deals in long guns, the multiple handguns within 5 days wouldn't be relevant...

boglbus
05-17-2012, 10:34 PM
That's what I thought, but this is fairly new, and when I go tomorrow, I will have more details.

boglbus
05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I only own two handguns, the rest long guns, and no big 5 doesn't even do private party handguns so its not relevant. Is this a new law or is the atf just "telling" them to do it. I think I heard that on Alex Jones once.

boglbus
05-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Also, I have never sold a single gun. I'm about to make my first trade this month though.

dustoff31
05-17-2012, 11:18 PM
There is now a requirement for dealers in border states to report multiple deliveries of certain long guns, (semiautomatic rifles larger than .22 cal with the ability to accept a detachable magazine) in the same way that multiple handgun deliveries are reported.

This is the form that FFL use:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-12.pdf

boglbus
05-17-2012, 11:22 PM
So if I buy two guns in the same day with one dros, I get reported?

boglbus
05-17-2012, 11:23 PM
If that is the case, long gun registration has already occurred.

dustoff31
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
So if I buy two guns in the same day with one dros, I get reported?

If the rifle meets the criteria, yes, you get reported. And it's not just the same day, it's more than one rifle within five days. Buy one on Monday and another on Thursday, get reported.

boglbus
05-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Criteria? You mean bigger than a .22lr? That's like every Damn rifle out there. This is nuts. I've been doing this to save on dros, now I'm screwed.

boglbus
05-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Actually reading it carefully, I've figures out a way around it. Buy as many as you want on one dros, pick them up every 6 days. Perfect. You have 30 days after dros anyways. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

dustoff31
05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Criteria? You mean bigger than a .22lr? That's like every Damn rifle out there. This is nuts. I've been doing this to save on dros, now I'm screwed.

This is what is required to be reported. Anything else, no requirement.

semiautomatic rifles larger than .22 cal, (including .223/5.56) with the ability to accept a detachable magazine

EBR Works
05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
An alternative is to find an FFL that is not required to do the multiple rifle reporting. Not all FFLs were notified by ATF to do this. Those that were not notified are specifically exempt.

See here:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/080911-qa-multiple-rifles.pdf

Q6. I am a licensed dealer in one of the four southwest border states subject to the multiple
sales reporting requirement for certain rifles. I have not received a letter notifying me that I
am subject to the multiple sales reporting requirement. Am I still required to submit the
reports?
A6. No. Licensees who are subject to the reporting requirement will receive a letter at the
premises address indicated on your Federal firearms license notifying you of the reporting
requirement and when you are required to begin submitting reports. The letter will be sent via
certified mail. Do not submit multiple sales reports unless you receive specific direction from
ATF to do so.

dustoff31
05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Actually reading it carefully, I've figures out a way around it. Buy as many as you want on one dros, pick them up every 6 days. Perfect. You have 30 days after dros anyways. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Remember though that this is a fed requirement and works off the 4473s, not the DROS, which is CA craziness. So you'll need the 4473s to show the appropriate dates of delivery. I'm really don't know if a CA dealer can, or is willing to have a bunch of dates that don't match up.

But if you can make it work, good for you.

ETA: Looks like EBR works has the best answer.

Schlyme
05-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Well if it's required for semi-auto center fire rifles with detachable mags, no rifle in cali will be reported since they are all fixed right...... unless it's featureless that is

boglbus
05-18-2012, 2:22 AM
Well if it's required for semi-auto center fire rifles with detachable mags, no rifle in cali will be reported since they are all fixed right...... unless it's featureless that is

Actually Q3 A3 in that file answers that. You must report those with bullet buttons too.