PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Bolt Action

Chameleon Loco
05-17-2012, 9:53 PM
I am thinking about getting a bolt action but am lefthanded and though I have never shot a bolt gun the way the action works on the lefty bolt action seems eaiser for me. I have my eye on the R700 model with a detachable magazine but I dont know if they make a lefty model. Can you guys suggest some? My only requirement is that they take a detachable magazine. Also I saw the tuners add for the ruger gunsite scount and on ruger's website its says they make a lefty model. Does any one own a ruger scout rifle?

RatedPG
05-18-2012, 9:24 AM
im no expert, but being a lefty and looking to get a precision rifle as well. I can say that Remy doesn't have much in the way of left handed gear (unless you're lucky and find a shop that has one in stock, but be prepared to pay more). I know that Savage makes most of their tactical rifles both for lefty and righty. Just my .02.

Untamed1972
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm a lefty and shoot a right hander Remy bolt gun. In a way is actually seems better because you can cycle the action while maintaining your cheek weld and trigger hand position.....well at least when you're shooting bench or prone that is.

Calplinker
05-18-2012, 1:07 PM
I'm a lefty and shoot a right hander Remy bolt gun. In a way is actually seems better because you can cycle the action while maintaining your cheek weld and trigger hand position.....well at least when you're shooting bench or prone that is.

+1 This is very true. I recently put together a pecision long range rifle and after much research, talking with folks and cycling actions, I completely agree with this.

This is one of those times us lefty's have a distince advantage. With the fore end of the rifle supported on a bipod or rest and using a right handed bolt gun, we lefty's don't need to break our cheek weld or move our finger away from the trigger group. We just reach up with our right hand, cycle the action and keep firing.

My short action Savage in 308 is very nice to shoot this way. If you elect for a long action, you may need to move the scope back another 1/2" or so to keep the bolt at a comfortable distance from your face during cycling.

This is an ideal setup for precision shooting or shooting off a rest. If you intend free hand shooting, I'd recommend a lefty bolt gun.

Try it out and I think you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: I bought a Savage 10FCP-K in .308. Very nice rifle with 24" fluted bull barrel, and muzzle brake. It comes with a detachable box magazine that holds 4 rounds. For $90 you can buy a 10 round mag from

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

that slides right in. Works like a charm.

Yemff
05-18-2012, 1:08 PM
Savage has a variety of left handed bolt guns

NytWolf
05-18-2012, 1:30 PM
I'm right-handed and right-eye dominant and shoot right-handed firearms. But I thought it would be more based on eye dominance than which handed you are. Am I making an assumption?

CSACANNONEER
05-18-2012, 1:44 PM
Eye dominance is more important. But, that is just for shouldering a rifle. I prefer shooting RH bolt actions left handed. I would really prefer a right bolt, left port but, that's where custom builds come in. When I finally break down and get a sub 50 cal precision rifle, I'll be looking at RH actions only. I find shooting my LH AR50 to be a bit awkward.

RatedPG
05-18-2012, 1:49 PM
+1 This is very true. I recently put together a pecision long range rifle and after much research, talking with folks and cycling actions, I completely agree with this.

This is one of those times us lefty's have a distince advantage. With the fore end of the rifle supported on a bipod or rest and using a right handed bolt gun, we lefty's don't need to break our cheek weld or move our finger away from the trigger group. We just reach up with our right hand, cycle the action and keep firing.

My short action Savage in 308 is very nice to shoot this way. If you elect for a long action, you may need to move the scope back another 1/2" or so to keep the bolt at a comfortable distance from your face during cycling.

This is an ideal setup for precision shooting or shooting off a rest. If you intend free hand shooting, I'd recommend a lefty bolt gun.

Try it out and I think you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: I bought a Savage 10FCP-K in .308. Very nice rifle with 24" fluted bull barrel, and muzzle brake. It comes with a detachable box magazine that holds 4 rounds. For $90 you can buy a 10 round mag from

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

that slides right in. Works like a charm.

Hey Cal, how much did you pay in total for your setup? That's one I was looking at other than rem 700P. Just kinda curious how much in total you dropped in on it.

hk91666
05-18-2012, 3:16 PM
Go with the Savage for Bolt guns on the left. I did.

Fjold
05-18-2012, 8:00 PM
Remington makes 3 or 4 different models left handed, including the light tactical rifle. Go to Gallery of Guns and find a dealer in your area to order one.

Calplinker
05-19-2012, 9:42 AM
Hey Cal, how much did you pay in total for your setup? That's one I was looking at other than rem 700P. Just kinda curious how much in total you dropped in on it.

Not sure but I think I paid $760 or so from Turners. Gun shoots sub MOA with match grade ammo, which is saying quite a lot since I'm not that great a shot and was shooting off my shoulder with a range bag supporting the front of the gun.

I put a SS 5-20HD scope on it with precision rings. That setup cost over twice what the rifle cost!!!!! :o

The 10 round magazine cost another $90 and I installed a Karsetn adjustable cheekpiece. I still need to buy a dedicated bipod for it. Right now I'm "borrowing" the Harris that normally lives on my .308 AR.

Only thing left to do is duracoat the stock. It came black and I want it to be desert tan or green. Haven't decided yet, but will probably go with desert tan.

BDH
05-19-2012, 12:13 PM
You've mentioned Remington, and magazine fed, and left hand. You might want to check out some of the auction sites and look at a Remington 788 LH. They were offered in 6mm and .308 in LH. GunBroker has 2 in 6mm, but inventory is always in flux.

Bruce

Army
05-19-2012, 7:13 PM
Eye dominance is more important. But, that is just for shouldering a rifle. I prefer shooting RH bolt actions left handed. I would really prefer a right bolt, left port but, that's where custom builds come in. When I finally break down and get a sub 50 cal precision rifle, I'll be looking at RH actions only. I find shooting my LH AR50 to be a bit awkward.
Savage has right bolt/left port rifles...and far below custom cost.

Actually, Savage will build just about any rifle you want, at hardly any extra cost.

B!ngo
05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Remington does make a few LH'ed models but they seem to be their more 'basic' designs. Savage makes a few more and I would look closely at what they have to offer. Depending on your tastes, they seem to be the leaders in price/performance.
I just ordered a Tikka in .308 with a left-handed bolt/stock. Tikka's are a bit pricier for sure, but I don't plan on owning many long-guns and have read only good things about Tikka's. It won't arrive for a while but would be happy to post my findings when it does. Oh, and pricier still are a few Sako's. Very nice rifles but generally twice the price of a Tikka.
Now for a scope and a set of rings.
And despite what some people say, I would recommend that you stick with purchasing a LH'ed model if you are left-eyed dominant and left-handed. It's one of the things I really enjoy about gun ownership. That is, in a right-handed world, there are just enough interesting and quality left-handed designs to be able to purchase something that really works for a LH'er; unlike so many other hobbies that have little to choose from for a LH'er.
B

IdahoF350
05-20-2012, 4:25 PM
I'm left handed. I just adjust my self to bolt actions, but if you're set on it, the ruger scout seems like a handy little carbine, and comes in left handed. I don't have any experience with it, so I can't talk about reliability or accuracy.

rareair
05-20-2012, 11:27 PM
If you're in the San Diego area, I'm contemplating selling my Left-handed Remington 700SPS. Less than 40 rounds through her.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2127Large.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2128Large.jpg

Switchbarrel
05-20-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm left handed and started off shooting right handed bolt rifles as well. Never felt really comfortable with them. Sold them all off and went to LB/LP and LB/RP actions, wouldn't go back to a right bolt rifle. I never feel comfortable cycling the action without moving my face out of the way somewhat so maintaining cheek weld is a non-issue for me.

Funny thing is, people are always trying to sell us lefties on the benefits of shooting a right handed rifle. With so many more shooters being right handed, why aren't they all shooting left handed rifles? It would make for a much nicer selection for us if more left handed rifles were being produced...

Just food for thought.

-Rick

Oh yeah, lots of aftermarket bottom metal with detach. mags. The rifle doesn't necessarily have to come with it from the factory.

Chameleon Loco
05-20-2012, 11:50 PM
The tikka rifles caught my eye but they are expensive and I dont know if I want to spend that much cash on my first bolt action. I also went to turners on the weekend and looked at many bolt actions. I liked the r700 in .338 lapua but was not able to look at a .308 model with a detachable magazine. Finally I took a look at the mossberg mvp and the salesman said it was possible to order a lh model.

me109g4
05-21-2012, 3:25 PM
Does Kimber still make a left handed action? I have one in 223 but was bought many yrs. ago.

Renaissance Redneck
05-22-2012, 8:44 AM
What caliber are you looking for? Did I miss that?

There are kits that convert R700's from fixed magazine to detachable mag. I have R700 BDL left hand, .270 Win, bought new by me in the 70's; fewer than 100 rounds through it. I'm thinking of selling it.

cjlane
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I am selling my Remington 700 XCR in 7mm rem mag that is left handed! Would meet you anywhere in norcal. New gun only shot one time.

deckhandmike
06-12-2012, 2:01 PM
One thing to consider is the larger caliber, heavy recoil guns are much more comfortable to shoot with the proper handed stock. I'm a lefty and when I shoot my buddies .300 win mag it is much more painful than mine since the stock does not fit me correct. I got a rem 700 and it's been great right out of the box but does not feature a box magazine.