PDA

View Full Version : 870 forend nut

jkonquer
05-17-2012, 8:45 PM
What's your solution to keep the forend nut from coming loose on a 870?

I didnt have any problem with factory tactical forend since it was very tight, but my hogue forend comes loose very often even with blue locktide. I believe its due to lack of anti-tilt slot on the hogue forend...If so, do you know any aftermarket forend that has antitilt slot that feels like hogue?

monk
05-17-2012, 8:56 PM
I used the same nut that came with the stock forend when I had the knoxx forend on it, tight as a mother. Is it possible the loctite is somehow "contaminated"? I don't know if that's even possible with loctite but maybe try another brand...or maybe some red stuff?

TacticalPlinker
05-17-2012, 9:03 PM
I used the same nut that came with the stock forend when I had the knoxx forend on it, tight as a mother. Is it possible the loctite is somehow "contaminated"? I don't know if that's even possible with loctite but maybe try another brand...or maybe some red stuff?

Yeah, same here... I have the forend from my Blackhawk/Knoxx stock and the nut is on there good and tight. I thought about using some Locktite though myself just to ensure. You could try using Red Locktite, but only if its something you don't intend to change anytime soon because I don't know how difficult it will be to remove with the Red.

You could also try ordering/buying a replacement, maybe the threads are messed up. You could also try contacting Hogue, see what they have to say about it.

jkonquer
05-17-2012, 9:04 PM
If you notice the little notch on the forend that keeps the forend from turning. And hogue disnt came with one. I guess im gonna have to use red

monk
05-17-2012, 9:20 PM
Downside about red is that, from what I hear, the only good way to remove it is to heat up the piece. So like TacPlinker said, make sure it's permanent.

prc77
05-17-2012, 9:27 PM
I would not use red. If you do, just a very little.

aippi
05-18-2012, 5:15 AM
I have not heard of an issue with the forend tube assembly nut coming loose. In fact the opposit is that they don't come loose and are a bugger to get off after a couple of years of being on the weapon.

Here is the reason this is happening to you: I don't use that forend as it is ribbed inside and these ribs crush and the forend becomes loose over time with heavy use. You then have to tighten the forend tube nut to tighten the forend. Soon, there is no where to go with this and the forend will just be loose.

So, your forend tube nut is not getting loose the forend is. Soon you will not be able to tighten it and then time for a new forend. Look at the attached picture. the houge is on the right and you can see the ribs that are crushing and why you are having this issue. The one on the left is the Speedfeed LE and is solid and will last the life of the weapon.