View Full Version : Howa Axiom 308

05-17-2012, 6:51 PM
I was at turners yesterday checking out a few heavy barrel bolt action rifles and the guy helping me out presented this to me. I loved the stock, the action, and the trigger on it. Any of you guys have any experience with this rifle and if so what is your take on it? likes and dislikes and overall feedback. any bit of info will help...thanks in advance

05-17-2012, 9:09 PM
I like the Howa action more than either Remington or Savage to be honest. Smoother action than either, with a much better extractor as well. You'll hear arguments on all side concerning accuracy, but when all is said and done, the Howa shoots on par with most other low cost production rifles. Expect about 1 to 1.5 MOA groups on average with good ammo. If you get lucky, you may end up with one that shoots much better than that. Aftermarket for the Howa is not as extensive as the remington 700, but there are some good aftermarket upgades available, such as the detachable magazine kit from Howa that goes for about $40.00 (magazine included). Bell and Carlson also make a McMillan styled Medalist stock for the Howa action if the axiom stock is not to your liking.

05-17-2012, 9:33 PM
I looked long and hard at the Howa Axiom in .223. But everything I read said that the stock was a waste with such a soft shooting round so I ended up going for the CZ527 Varmint instead, it has been a great rifle. But the Howa looks cooler and in .308, you will get the benefit of that recoil absorption from the stock. I would buy it if you have a good price, the Howa action is pretty great. The Remington 700, while a very good rifle, to me is a Toyota Camry. Everyone has one. Kind of boring.

05-17-2012, 10:06 PM
The Remington 700, while a very good rifle, to me is a Toyota Camry. Everyone has one. Kind of boring.

I thought I was the only one with that opinion :)

05-18-2012, 8:28 AM
sweet thanks for the input guys! and now that you mention it everyone does have one so i think ill get the howa....i like the stock and love the feel of the action