PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in DOJ Delay Limbo Indefinately

BlackDrop50
05-17-2012, 7:32 PM
Hey Calguns,

Wondering if anybody could help me out or has any answers for my confusing problem.

I have purchased many firearms for many years and am not a prohibited person. I purchased a firearm as recently as a little over a month ago. Due to some new policy at the DOJ, I was delayed after I paid in full for another new handgun.

It was due to some juvenile incident over 11 years ago in which I was arrested and released with supposed charges dimissed/revoked. A family member could not solve an argument in a peaceful and reasonable manner and thought calling the police with a false report could replace proper parenting. Once I was about to be taken away she realized the gravity of the situation and recanted the whole thing.

I've already sent DOJ a stamped and signed certificate from the juvenile court clerk stating I was never a ward of the court and there are no records of me on file. This is not good enough for them, and they want paperwork saying I was never convicted of the specific charge. I've done some research and it looks like I may have to petition the arresting agency to be found factually innocent. A helpful lady at the DOJ also suggested sealing my juvenile records but that would cost $150, probably require an attorney, and take anywhere from 6 months-1 year.

At the moment I am allowed to keep my firearms but I may not purchase any new ones until this issue is resolved...

My main questions are:

Can you even seal your juvenile record if you have no juvenile record?

Will the arresting agency keep files for this long, or even have juvenile records at all?

The city court already steered me to juvenile hall. They have no records.

Thanks

Cactus_Tim
05-17-2012, 7:35 PM
This is all becoming a nightmare for many people.
I'm waiting for records myself.

hoffmang
05-17-2012, 7:38 PM
We're aware of the problem. Please report it here http://calgunsfoundation.org/component/content/article/1-news/213-report-a-problem-with-california-dept-of-justice-doj.html

-Gene