PDA

View Full Version : AK Newb, Please Help

jhj32883
05-17-2012, 4:12 PM
Hello All,

I am completely new to AK rifles. Actually, I'm pretty new to firearms in general (grew up shooting with the uncles and cousins, but all I did was pull the trigger).

I am in the market for a new AK. I have decided that I wanted to purchase a complete AK instead of assembling one from a parts kit or converting another rifle. I want something that's basically ready to shoot out of the box or would take minimal (and I mean very minimal) effort and time to be ready to shoot.

I am looking very closely at the CAI Zastava PAP rifle and the CAI Wasr. They are in-stock at my LGS.

The PAP is $769 and the Wasr is $599.

I'm also considering the Arsenal SGL-21, but that won't be in stock until at least August and will run around $899.

So far the PAP is in the lead for me. It looks like it's ready to shoot out of the box. However, it does not have a bayonet lug or chrome-lined barrel.

The Wasr would be determined based upon an in-person inspection (canted sights and other defects) and I would probably have the furniture refinished by someone hopefully other than me. But it does have chrome lined barrel and bayonet lug.

The I've heard rave reviews about the Arsenal, but it won't be in-stock for a while and it comes with poly furniture. I would probably replace the furniture, but that could wait further down the line. It does have the chrome lined barrel and bayonet lug.

I believe all three would be double stack mags and be able to accept any AK47 magazines.

This rifle will basically be used for target shooting and recreation. It may be used in a home defense capacity, but not something I'm really planning on or terribly worried about.

I was wondering if any of the rifles have negative attributes as far as resale value are concerned if something bad happens and I need to flip the guns relatively quick.

Is the Arsenal SGL-21 worth the wait and extra cost?

I haven't found much information on the Century Zastava PAP. Any reviews out there?

Does having a chrome lined barrel matter that much? I heard most corrosive ammo is in short supply, so I imagine I would just be shooting regular brass.

Are there any other concerns I need to consider?

I don't intend on mounting a bayonet so the bayonet lug would basically really only affect resale value.

Are the prices fair?

I just basically need help and information on my three choices.

Also, I've read people's opinions concerning Arsenal's political leanings/perceived hatred towards CA. Please don't let that kill the thread/thread jack this one. I'm just a newb trying to find out more information on my three choices and possibly any other rifles I should be considering.

If there's any other specific rifles (AK) that I should seriously be considering, please let me know and specifically why I should be considering them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Jay

Allentu
05-17-2012, 8:21 PM
Based on my observation, it seems as though the Arsenal SGL21 usually hold more of its value over the others mentioned. WASR's are somewhat like a "grab bag." You just aren't too sure what your going to get and the parts may not be matching numbers. Would you buy a Frankenstein used car?

How comfortable are you with learning how to build one yourself? Calguns has AK build parties every now and then. Its a great way to meet fellow Calgunners and learn about your AK.

If that isn't of your interest, you can also buy a Saiga with the caliber of choice and either you convert it or leave it stock.

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 9:11 PM
Get the WASR10/63 for $599 it will always sell for 500 minimum.
As for the new guy to ak's above if a so called frankencar did exist and it ran as good and long as a wasr will id give my suburban and duramax up rite now.
Good luck op.

dodger fever
05-17-2012, 9:21 PM
What about the M10 7.62x39 AK? It is also priced at 599. I love mine. Just another option for you.

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 9:27 PM
Ive heard alot of good about the m10's

jhj32883
05-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info thus far. I think I may have overstated my interest in the resale value. It's kind of an afterthought. I worried about it because my LGS said that a single stack (sporter configuration) wouldn't sell very well or missing a bayonet lug would decrease its value.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the specific brand/seller of the M10? I searched it online and it looks like M+M. Am I correct?

If I went that route, I'm sure I would have to order it online or have my LGS special order it. Either way, I would be purchasing it sight unseen essentially. Any negative reviews/complaints or recurring issues? It would also make it slightly more expensive due to the FFL transfer fee (not really a ton, but around $650).

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Bud youre thinking too hard on it. Btw thats not a bad thing.
Go into the sales area here on calguns and find yourself a nice one thats been pretested for you. Just dont buy the unconverted saiga for $600.

Mamluke
05-18-2012, 2:40 PM
Hello All,

Does having a chrome lined barrel matter that much? I heard most corrosive ammo is in short supply, so I imagine I would just be shooting regular brass.

Non chrome lined will actually be more accurate, and since you live out here in a dry, desert like climate, and won't be using corrosive ammo, then chrome lining is no big deal imo.

Are there any other concerns I need to consider?

If you pick up a WASR, check for canting of sight and gas block. Nothing that a good ol hammer couldn't fix, but why bother with a new rifle!

I personally think that Arsenals are over priced, but quality and resale value is right up there.

If there's any other specific rifles (AK) that I should seriously be considering, please let me know and specifically why I should be considering them

Consider a CAI Polish Underfolder, I've had nothing but good luck with mine! Parts are readily available from AK builder.com and the build quality is terrific with a Nodak Spud receiver and a Tapco G2 Trigger group. Sells for about $589 from Straightline Tactical (http://www.straightlinetactical.com/) in Anaheim.

..... BTW, I see that you're a new member, so welcome to CGN and keep us posted with your decision making.

Good luck

vintagedude88
05-18-2012, 3:29 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the specific brand/seller of the M10? I searched it online and it looks like M+M. Am I correct?

If I went that route, I'm sure I would have to order it online or have my LGS special order it. Either way, I would be purchasing it sight unseen essentially. Any negative reviews/complaints or recurring issues? It would also make it slightly more expensive due to the FFL transfer fee (not really a ton, but around $650).

Where are you located at?

If you're in SoCal, Turners's carries it in Kalifornized form (mag lock & and 10/30 mag) for $599.99.