PDA

View Full Version : 100 and 200 yard informal match this Sunday - all NorCal shooters welcome

killshot44
05-17-2012, 1:32 PM
Sunday May 20 the Diablo Rod and Gun Club is hosting a friendly club match at the United Sportsmen's Range in Concord shooting 100 and 200 yards from the bench. Just show up this Sunday around 11:45am with 30 to 50 rounds and $7.

It is an informal Benchrest match and you don't need a bughole-shooting bench gun or be a member to join in the fun.

The goal is not small groups, but shooting for score, any 1moa gun can be competitive.

The Scoped Centerfire rifle shooters will shoot on the standard IBS 200yd target shown below. Our COF is a little different; you have 30 minutes to shoot, the targets on the right are for an unlimited number of sighting shots thoughout your relay. The three targets on the left are for "record". You shoot three 5-shot groups at each record target. Highest possible score is 150 points. The 10-ring is 1".
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Killshot44_bucket/IBS200yd.jpg

Shooters who wish to use a .22LR or an iron-sighted M1 or AR-type rifle; we'll have a different kind of target at 100 yards for you.
Post any questions you might have. If you're shy, PM me.

Shooters need to bring their own rest, bipod or sandbags. No bimetal (magnetic) bullets allowed. An empty-chamber indicator is required (we have some). If you haven't shot at the 200yd "Multi-Purpose" Range at USI come check it out, if you're not a member yet you'll want to join. Our 200yd range is available to members any time* unlike some which are open on Fridays only. The shooting house stays cool in the summer.
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Killshot44_bucket/USIMPrange-1.jpg

* just need two members to open up, one must be a RSO.

tonyxcom
05-17-2012, 2:00 PM
Crap! If I wasn't out of town this weekend I would be there. When is the next one?

MrPlink
05-17-2012, 2:15 PM
The 200yd range is always available? I always thought it was like every 3rd Sunday or something like that.

tonyxcom
05-17-2012, 2:22 PM
Any two members can open it as long as one of them is an RSO.

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 3:24 PM
If you guys were doing a 2mile match id be there but since its only 200yards i cant cancel training for that lol.

killshot44
05-18-2012, 2:42 PM
Wow, no interest?.............................little surprise then that they've talked of cancelling these.

wooger
05-18-2012, 3:00 PM
Maybe people are afraid their AR bullets will get stuck in the target and they don't have an AK to bring?

NorCalK9.com
05-18-2012, 3:10 PM
Im with Wooger lmao.

mattt
05-18-2012, 3:26 PM
I am in for this I want to shoot my 22lr ar and my 6br. Will it be sqauded so someone could shoot it 2 diff rifles?

wooger
05-18-2012, 3:37 PM
sqauded?

Don29palms
05-18-2012, 4:09 PM
If I lived in Norcal I'd be there.

Our local gun club does something similar. We have a rifle match the first Saturday of every month. It's always good times.

Good luck with your match.

mattt
05-18-2012, 4:24 PM
Wooger forgot you are a Rhoades Scholar

evol ways
05-18-2012, 4:29 PM
If I had my rifle and scope I would totally be there. IM still waiting for them to show up. I have always wanted to try a compettition. I will attend the next one for sure though hope my rifle and scope are here by then.

wooger
05-18-2012, 4:31 PM
Wooger forgot you are a Rhoades Scholar

Is that Randy Rhoades?

send it_hit
05-18-2012, 4:49 PM
i would be all over that, but i have a 6k to run in SJ... how often do these happen? is there normally a little earlier notice?

mattt
05-18-2012, 5:14 PM
All these great shooters in bayarea and not much interest.:(

wooger
05-18-2012, 5:17 PM
It's hard to accept, but it is what it is. If only we were far away, like in Fairfield or something, I bet there would be more shooters then.

Pthfndr
05-18-2012, 5:54 PM
How can you say there is no interest? There have been over 200 views of the thread.

mattt
05-18-2012, 6:06 PM
Ok poeple planning on shooting please chime in :) so Bob can plan amount of shooters ie targets and such.. I am coming with friend so 2

Long Rifle
05-18-2012, 7:23 PM
I plan on attending. Hoping to bring a friend, also.

mattt
05-19-2012, 10:59 AM
btt

killshot44
05-19-2012, 12:32 PM
So there are at least six guys shooting Centerfire, with more possible. That's good.

Might just have to pick up a couple buckets of fried chicken to go with the after-match beers at the clubhouse.

I'll be rocking a new Berger Bullets hat tomorrow for good luck, so lookout!

Long Rifle
05-19-2012, 2:39 PM
Killshot, I don't have access to a spotting scope capable of seeing .22 holes in the target. I'm hoping you or anyone else might share their spotting scope with me, which leads me to my next question. What would you recommend for a decent scope for less than $300? I'm seriously looking at this Konus:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

Thanks in advance. :)

killshot44
05-19-2012, 4:31 PM
There'll be at least one extra scope there (if anyone else has an extra or won't need theirs, bring 'em)

LR: Konus, Nikon and Vortex make good stuff if you can't swing a Kowa. See me tomorrow.

Expecting perfect weather tomorrow. Perfect for Mirage, that is! ;)

winxp_man
05-19-2012, 5:59 PM
If you guys decide to do this on Saturdays to I'm in. I have family time Sundays can't really get away. Damn sounds like its going to be fun.

Have fun and be safe.

bruceflinch
05-20-2012, 8:29 AM
I got the email for this event. So many events at USI, So little time...

killshot44
05-20-2012, 2:58 PM
We had a beautiful day for shooting the 1st Mirage Lovers Open. Eight people shot the 200yd Centerfire match.

Mid 80s and very light wind. Mirage sucked (I'm going to lobby the Board of Directors to ditch the gravel and plant grass this fall-should cut out the mirage at 200) but everyone with enough scope managed alright.

Congrats to Wooger for taking 1st place, I managed 2nd and Mattt took 3rd. So for those keeping track, that was a 6BRX, 6Dasher and a 6BR in the top three. Gotta love combo of the 6mms and 42x Nightforces.
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Killshot44_bucket/Wooger.jpg
Wooger and his winning target.

We'll do this again in July, watch this space for the announcement.
Thinking about doing it a little differently in July; we'll do a 100yd relay shooting for smallest group aggregate over three targets then do a relay at 200yds shooting three targets for score as we did today.

Thanks to everyone who came out today and congrats to Wooger for some fine shooting. He dropped only 3 points shooting half-MOA on all three targets. That's 12 out of 15 centered into a 1" circle at 200yds. Not too shabby.

ParanoidCivilian
05-20-2012, 3:04 PM
i would be all over that, but i have a 6k to run in SJ... how often do these happen? is there normally a little earlier notice?

You actually paid to run 6k? You could do that in any neighborhood. Skip the run and go out and shoot.

mattt
05-20-2012, 3:05 PM
Mirage was so bad it took my 18 shots to get on paper at 200. Couldnt see the holes of 6br and I guess I was chasing horse flies around the target in stead of 6br holes. Wooger superior shooting skills came into play and won it all

wooger
05-20-2012, 3:23 PM
I would recommend 100 yd agg group for class and score combined for class at 100/200.

It was great to shoot with you guys today and I am anxiously awaiting the "ninja" for score cof!

mattt
05-20-2012, 3:46 PM
Thanks for bringing that up wooger .Next match we figuire If we have mallninjas with black guns shooting off the roof of the range at the 200 yard target and maybe some smoke grenades and flashbangs we will get a better turnout.:D

wooger
05-20-2012, 3:49 PM
hai, matt san. But only with "operator" style AR's.

killshot44
05-20-2012, 6:43 PM
But only with "operator" style AR's.

Is there any other kind? :p

Do you think that calling this "1-Gun" or "Bench Tactical" might get more Calgunners to come out and play?

In July (the next go 'round for this) we'll definitely have a 100 and 200 combined COF for the Centerfire shooters. This one was over when I was just starting to have fun.

For you "Next Timer"ers...........would you rather see a morning or afternoon start time? What works for the most people?

Long Rifle
05-20-2012, 7:40 PM
I vote 9am. And congrats to Wooger for that outstanding winning score. Yeah, we need more ninjas. My lone AR was overwhelmed by all those fancy bolt guns. That was funny how I was the only one slinging brass. :D

killshot44
05-20-2012, 8:12 PM
Is there any other kind? :p

I take that back. Long Rifle handled himself very well today - and kudos to him for doing it with an AR and factory ammo. :thumbsup:

If we get more AR shooters in July we can score them in their own class.........

Our motto: Run what ya brung, we'll find a spot for you.

NorCalK9.com
05-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Lmao heres what i dont understand. All these local clubs do these bench shooting contests for groups.
Why not set up multiple targets
@ 50yards 100yards 150yards and 200yards, lets say 5 targets at each distance, and do standing or kneeling with no support on rifle and score by fastest time with hits on each target.
Thatd get ALOT of people out there and you wouldnt be limiting the crowd that shows up, youd have ar's ak47/74's fals scars etc etc.
Shooting from a bench at only 200 yards with a $2k+ bolt gun is EASY and BORING for MOST people.
This is a reccomendation for future events, and me a about 20 friends will be there.

tonyxcom
05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Just compared the MP calendar and my calendar and it looks like I have another race to work so I will can't make July's as it sits on the schedule now.

And I'd have a few AR's to shoot. Crap.

mattt
05-21-2012, 3:57 AM
Nor calmike there is such an event at Sac valley called high power rmc. It involves sitting ,standing ect. It has rapid fire and all you speak about. Same guys show up to these each month once in a while a new shooter . Only seen service rifles there .

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 7:53 AM
@matt.
whats the average turn out for the sac event?
Also i wasnt trying to bash the event that took place, i just wanted to shed lite on what interesets me and others i know.

wooger
05-21-2012, 8:30 AM
K9, pm member Another 8 about the rmc matches and he will give you good info.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=567645

FisterD
05-21-2012, 8:44 AM
I was out there at 2:00pm zeroing in my new scope on my AR at 50 yds. Beautiful weather. I am glad you guys had a good time. Nice shooting by the way! Not sure I could even see a target at 200yds with my AR-332 sight :D

onegtalon
05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Still waiting on parts.... hopefuly my AR will be done for the next meet !

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
@wooger.
Not quite what i was talking about. I meant multiple targets as close as 50 yards all the way ouy to 200-300 yards. I set a similar set up on my property but only out to 100 yards and 10 targets spread out. Its fun. Guess ranges dont like to offer these types of things.

Pthfndr
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Guess ranges dont like to offer these types of things.

Public ranges can't be all things to all people. Sometimes it's the physical constraints of the range, sometimes it's cost/benefit factor.

wooger
05-21-2012, 1:01 PM
Rob, isn't there a practical or 3 gun shooting discipline which could meet his needs?

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 2:17 PM
@Pthfndr.
Actually do the ranges truly meet anyones needs?
How is shooting off a bench slow n methodically gna truly help 90% of us? I understand safety but none of the ranges out here allow any type of rapid fire. How would one go about working on follow up shots without having access to private property?
My thoughts are that ranges are a good way to zero an optic, and let off some steam. But besides that its just a waste of money.

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 2:24 PM
@Pthfndr.
How is shooting off a bench slow n methodically gna truly help 90% of us? I understand safety but none of the ranges out here allow any type of rapid fire. How would one go about working on follow up shots without having access to private property?
My thoughts are that ranges are a good way to zero an optic, and let off some steam. But besides that its just a waste of money.

Long Rifle
05-21-2012, 3:23 PM
I was out there at 2:00pm zeroing in my new scope on my AR at 50 yds. Beautiful weather. I am glad you guys had a good time. Nice shooting by the way! Not sure I could even see a target at 200yds with my AR-332 sight :D

I had my 3-9x Trijicon cranked all the way to 9x and I can barely see the 6" targets. :eek:

mattt
05-21-2012, 3:29 PM
Last Rmc match I shot had rapid fire at 200 and 600 I think.Went and built a AR for those matches and never got back. I will shoot my Mini 14 at next USI bench match if any other AR shooters come. And will buy any AR shooter a beer or soda after the match if they beat me .You all know mini 14 cant hit the side of a barn.I didnt even think of the AK guys , You are included in my challenge also:D

Pthfndr
05-21-2012, 5:01 PM
@Pthfndr.

Of course they do. Take a look at the Sac Valley range calender. It's almost completely full up for every month for the non public ranges, for various types of competition and training

How is shooting off a bench slow n methodically gna truly help 90% of us?

90% of who? Who is "us"? At Sac valley they have long range bench rest every week, with a 2 day match every month. And 100/200 yard bench rest 2 days almost every week - those guys get 15-30 shooters every time. They bring their own targets and equipment. The range basically only provides the land. Some people (obviously you aren't one of them) like to spend hours shooting incredibly tiny little groups with wildcat cartridges. And as an FYI,most cartridges developed in the last 80 years came from benchresters looking for the next great thing.

I understand safety but none of the ranges out here allow any type of rapid fire.

They have to plan for the lowest common denominator. Maybe you aren't that. But, would you want to go to a range where anyone who felt like it could do mag dumps anytime they chose at whatever target they set out, at whatever distance they wanted to? Would YOU let dozens of unknowns come to your property to do that? Because if you would, post up your address and I'm sure there's a lot here that will take you up on the offer.

How would one go about working on follow up shots without having access to private property?

Many ranges, Sac Valley included, have provisions for that. Usually you need to become a member, then go through some kind of orientation procedure to prove you at least have an understanding of safety and to show you have the minimum knowledge of gun handling. You can also get involved in 3 gun matches which includes rifle and shotgun, or IPSC/IDPA which is for the most part just hand gun. They'll shoot hundreds of rounds during a match doing exactly what you want to do, in a controlled, safe environment.

See my replies in red.

At the Sac Valley range, if you become a member, you can go through an orientation procedure, and then you have access to the Action Pistol bays. They only go out to 50-75 yards, but you can draw from a holster and rapid fire all you want to.

Need to shoot longer? The same membership gives you access to the 500 meter steel silhouette range. You can't use FMJ there so you might have to buy different ammo for whatever you are shooting. But you can shoot your rifle from standing, kneeling, sitting, prone at steel targets at 200/300/385/500 meters.

Want to really test your skill? Come shoot a High Power Across the Course match. 200 yards standing off hand, 200 yards sitting rapid fire with a required reload, 300 yards prone rapid fire with a required reload, and 600 yards prone slow fire. The serious people do it all with iron sights and using a sling, but the match director will let newbies and those without the proper gear to shoot it all prone, and even use an optic.

Want to test your skill at long range ?(out to 100 yards) Come shoot an NCPPRC tac rifle match. We have 2 course of fire that are all prone (for the inexperienced) and one course of fire we call "Hard Core" that includes not only prone off a bipod, but positional shooting and timed target exposures as well. All in 3 shot groups in short firing times. So you can't dick around, and you have to KNOW where your bullets are going to go when you pull the trigger because there are no sighter shots, not steel to give you feed back.

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 5:16 PM
Hey bud you dont have to get upset and red out on me lol.
Thats just my .02 and thats all its worth.
Btw if i was raking in as much as these ranges fire fast all yall want.

wooger
05-21-2012, 5:22 PM
You would have to be very proficient to succeed in one of those shooting disciplines, and some shooters excel in several. It's a lot harder to compete than it is to practice at your comfort level, regardless of the course of fire, distance, or perceived practicality of the event.

Pthfndr
05-21-2012, 6:44 PM
Hey bud you dont have to get upset and red out on me lol.
Thats just my .02 and thats all its worth.
Btw if i was raking in as much as these ranges fire fast all yall want.

Who's upset? Not me. It was just easier to address each specific question of yours that way.

Raking in money? Of course they make money. What's the point of being in business if you aren't making money? But raking it in? No one gets rich running a range.

Ranges are maintenance intensive, even if it doesn't appear so. Employees also cost money.

If you think they are "raking in money", what's preventing you from doing the same and charging people for being able to shoot as fast they want on your property? Then you too could "rake in" the money.

:)

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 6:58 PM
actually bud i know a family that owns a shooting range. they own the property its on. $15 per person. Over a 100 people on saturday and more on sunday. This isnt counting target sales @300+% markup and ammo at about 40% higher than any retailer. 1 set of ear plugs $1 so yes it is a very lucrative business. im not bashing them for making money. Im a business owner myself. Im bashing most ranges for their rediculous rules.
And the redding out comment was a joke.
Im a capitalist, i got no problem with people making money.

17+1
05-21-2012, 8:42 PM
NorCal, you should come watch the 'funny looking' bench rest guns at Sac Valley. I thought they were slightly ridiculous myself because I am more practical, and lean towards military rifles. I was pulling targets for a bench rest shooter at 600 yards and he hit the 3" sighter 3-5 times in a row, all on one side of it. The holes were quite close, if I remember correctly. It was about 1/4" MOA...I no longer laugh at the wild stock colors and massive barrels. Plus, they're pretty friendly guys if you talk to them. I got some good, free advice from them as well. :chris:

NorCalK9.com
05-21-2012, 9:07 PM
17+1.
Bud i dont think theyre silly. 500-1k yards is some serious shooting and nothing to belittle. I can do 500 yards but that is my limit! i dont practice or learn anything further but i have much respect for those guys and their rigs. Its 100 yards that i finger my knose at cause that aint competition. Very little skill is required when ya got a $2k setup with a scope.

jtv3062
05-22-2012, 3:13 AM
I would've love to join you guys. I wouldn't been able to done it the weekend end you had this. If you could post the next meet in this thread with enough notice I would be able join you guys if work permitting.
I would be able to bring me .223 and maybe give the 6mils a run from the money. LOL.