PDA

View Full Version : Why is Hornady 7.62x39 steel?

joker70
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
I was in Barnes & Noble today and reading the Zombie Nation magazine :D and saw the ad for Hornady Zombie Max. They have Zombie Max versions for almost all pistol and rifle calibers. The one thing I noticed though is that all the calibers were brass cased except for 7.62x39 which was steel. Is there a specific reason for this?

AK all day
05-17-2012, 12:43 PM
They do this to offer maximum match proformance, without you ( the consumer) paying the extra costs of brass. They try and save you money, while still giving you great ammunition. That is if you talking about Hornady "match".

joker70
05-17-2012, 2:38 PM
But what is it about 7.62x39 that makes steel much more cost effective than brass? I noticed when shopping for it, brass ammo (American Eagle) costs 3x more than steel (Tula). Is it the dimensions of the round? The primer used?

Avarice
05-17-2012, 2:41 PM
Steel is just cheaper than brass.

AKs love steel, they eat it for breakfast every morning. Why not save the $$.

ARs don't all handle steel well. Needs brass.

MrPlink
05-17-2012, 2:48 PM
But what is it about 7.62x39 that makes steel much more cost effective than brass? I noticed when shopping for it, brass ammo (American Eagle) costs 3x more than steel (Tula). Is it the dimensions of the round? The primer used?

com-bloc industrial power !

Hornaday buys it from the Russians

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2012, 3:27 PM
com-bloc industrial power !

Hornaday buys it from the Russians

^This^

They are buying the majority of their steel cases from former Com-Bloc countries because they (the other countries) are already churning it out in huge lots. It is far eisier and cheaper to buy a fraction of the cases the Russians or whomever else they are buying it from makes annually than to set up a production line and make it themselves. And as more people become comfortable with steel cases, you will likely see more mainstream cartridges move that way. They won't replace brass, but they will likely take over the plinking market. Hornady already offers a line of .223 target rounds with steel cases.

-Mb