PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 question

3rd_gear
05-06-2007, 5:09 PM
Hi all,

A mini14 can function without the stock. It is only about 26 inches long without the stock.

Is a mini14 without the stock considered a complete rifle?

Can I sell a mini14 without the stock?

mow
05-06-2007, 5:20 PM
A mini 14 will function with out the trigger and hammer?

Is there some way of making the hammer work with the bolt/firing pin without a stock?

What you are saying baffles me.

I must go break down the mini 14 to see how this would work.

I wouldn't consider a rifle without a stock as complete.

I am sure you can sell it without a stock.

3rd_gear
05-06-2007, 5:26 PM
A mini 14 will function with out the trigger and hammer?

Is there some way of making the hammer work with the bolt/firing pin without a stock?

A mini14 will not function without the trigger and hammer. After removing the trigger/hammer group to remove the stock, you can put it back together without the stock. It is fully fuctional without the stock.

You just gave me an idea, I can separate the trigger group, then sell the now incomplete rifle.

mow
05-06-2007, 5:30 PM
A mini14 will not function without the trigger and hammer. After removing the trigger/hammer group to remove the stock, you can put it back together without the stock. It is fully fuctional without the stock.

You just gave me an idea, I can separate the trigger group, then sell the now incomplete rifle.

Just wondering do you want to sell an incomplete rifle?

3rd_gear
05-06-2007, 5:32 PM
Just wondering do you want to sell an incomplete rifle?

Yes, I want to keep the custom stock, it has sentimental value.

mow
05-06-2007, 5:37 PM
Yes, I want to keep the custom stock, it has sentimental value.

So keep the stock and sell everything else.

I just tried it and you're right, it appears that it would function without the stock.:eek: Although it might be kinda hard to hold after the first couple of shots :P

The receiver will need to be DROSD so you may as well sell everything else with it, or heck try and pick up another stock to get the most $$$ for it.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-06-2007, 6:06 PM
I think he is concerned about selling a functioning semi auto rifle that is under 30" in length.

mow
05-06-2007, 6:09 PM
I think he is concerned about selling a functioning semi auto rifle that is under 30" in length.

:confused: ....

Thank you sir. Now I get it.

That would be bad. :eek:

dfletcher
05-06-2007, 6:30 PM
FWIW, you can do the same thing with an M1A SOCOM and an M1 of course. Unless it's the Tanker type though the M1 would be +30.

Alan Block
05-06-2007, 6:44 PM
The Mini 14 will NOT function without the stock. 1 shot will be fired and then the heavy operating rod/piston will drop down and jam. It will Not return properly without the stock.

bwiese
05-06-2007, 7:01 PM
[There's some of us who believe a Mini14 does not perform adquately even WITH a stock :) ]

I believe a Mini14 removed from its stock would be considered a barreled action.

It was sold and marketed as a rifle, with a stock. There are no laws precluding cleaning, maintenance and repair of a rifle such that it would preclude an action being removed from its stock.

Perhaps if you misused the barreled action in a crime they might try to get you on the under-30" AW stuff, but you'd have bigger worries than that.

Surveyor
05-06-2007, 7:04 PM
[There's some of us who believe a Mini14 does not perform adquately even WITH a stock :) ]...

I was waiting for that one :D .

hung380
05-06-2007, 7:17 PM
go to ebay and buy a stock for cheap. Might add more value to it when you sell it.

Charliegone
05-06-2007, 9:59 PM
Don't get a mini-14...people at the range will be pissed at you.:D

ibanezfoo
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Don't get a mini-14...people at the range will be pissed at you.:D

From flinging brass 20 feet to the side? :) I found that out today... doh, sorry!

-Bryan

xenophobe
05-07-2007, 12:24 AM
[There's some of us who believe a Mini14 does not perform adquately even WITH a stock :) ]

*raises hand*

I resemble that remark. lol

bg
05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
One can get reduced gas bushings that help keep the brass from being flung
20 feet. Mine has one of the smallest and brass ejects a few feet away if that.

Still when I go to the range with it I try to get the very last table to the right
just out of courtesy.