PDA

View Full Version : Remington Sluggers getting hung up on Mossberg 930 elevator?

orthopod
05-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Shot some slugs through my 930 SPX on Tuesday night...had a GREAT time and can't wait to do it again. I was shooting some 10x16 pistol targets by Glowshot (good price with Amazon prime) and was happy to get a few bullseyes at 25 yards with the help of a sandbag up front as I was trying to figure out if I would need to adjust the rear ghost ring sight for windage or elevation. A few times at the beginning of a firing session as I dropped a slug shell right above the elevator and then pushed the slide release I had the shell hanging up on the elevator and it would not fully enter the chamber. It was as if the green plastic was rubbing on the right raised edge of the elevator and the shell was only going 60% into the chamber. Forcibly pushing the charging handle forward would put the shell all the way in or removing the shell, placing it on top the elevator again, and pushing the slide release again would get it to go in. It never did this after firing a round and feeding one from the magazine. Only when I was manually pushing the slide release after pulling the charging handle back. I tried replicating it with Winchester Steel Shot birdshot and it didn't do it and did do it with the Remington Sluggers a few times. Is this normal? Gun has about 500 rounds of Federal Wal Mart birdshot through it and this had never happened. I did change from CLP to Froglube and don't know if that caused it or just the slightly different dimensions of the slugger...it was 2 3/4" but was maybe a little thicker then the birdshot?

prc77
05-17-2012, 6:06 AM
all shotgun shells are not created equall. Try a diiferent brand of slugs, your shotgun may not like the type of crimp on the sluggers. If it gets hung up at the same spot entering the chamber. You can get is there with some fine grit emory cloth and polish the leading edge of the chamber, smooth out any edge that might. I did this to my SLP, shells were getting hung up at the 3 o'clock , entering the chamber. Took the barrel of and with finger pressure polish that edge, 20 min. of that and the problem was solved.

BTW how do you like the Frog lube

BigDogatPlay
05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
^^^ This ^^^

Try several different brands of shells and find the ones that work best. Some guns are more finicky than others, and semi-autos are usually the most finicky when it comes to ammo. My two pumps run 100% with Federal and Remington, not so much Winchester and Fiocchi. My Remington 1100 hates both Winchester and Estate but will digest most anything else.

Travis590A1
05-18-2012, 1:53 AM
My 590a1 eats everything...oh wait cuz its a pump ;)