PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to change barrel from .223 to 300AAC?

LTP90
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I am thinking about buying my dad a rifle kit for Fathers day(If I can find one anywhere) It looks like no one has a 300 AAC rifle kit in stock right now and was curious how hard it would be to change the barrel out to 300 AAC or from 300 back to .223? Is it something that could be done relatively quickly? I know just buying 2 uppers would be simpler, but that's not a financial option right now. Thanks.

joelogic
05-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Simple with the right tools. Receiver vise block, vise, and a barrel wrench. More difficult if the gas block is pinned on. You will not want to go back and forth.

Just a note, it is 300BLK.

Knife Edge
05-17-2012, 7:42 AM
The problem is finding one!

bloodhawke83
05-17-2012, 8:27 AM
I did it in 1 minute and it was my first time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

klewan
05-17-2012, 8:53 AM
I am thinking about buying my dad a rifle kit for Fathers day(If I can find one anywhere) It looks like no one has a 300 AAC rifle kit in stock right now and was curious how hard it would be to change the barrel out to 300 AAC or from 300 back to .223? Is it something that could be done relatively quickly? I know just buying 2 uppers would be simpler, but that's not a financial option right now. Thanks.

DSA makes a 300blk upper, $320 4140, or $335 SS. I talked to them last week, running about 4-5 weeks behind. Maybe longer; give your dad an IOU for it. No bolt or carrier, so use the one already in your 223.

(Insert here all the wailing and moaning about how the world will end if you transfer the bolt).

(also insert all the wailing and moaning about using a shim on the 300 round to check headspace)

The people that want to spend your money will suggest $60+ gage sets that you use maybe twice.

You shoot the ammo, not the gage. So if the gage says everything's kosher, you still might have set the shoulder back during forming. Creating excessive headspace, and that will/might be unsafe. The gage is there to make it easy for the uninformed to at least check the chamber. When it's more important to determine how close the ammo is to that gage.

LTP90
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
DSA? I haven't heard of them before, but found them online. I will have to look into that.
Would still have to buy him a bolt, cause he sure as heck isn't taking mine haha.

GettoPhilosopher
05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
DSA? I haven't heard of them before, but found them online. I will have to look into that.
Would still have to buy him a bolt, cause he sure as heck isn't taking mine haha.

They make awesome FN FAL pattern rifles, and are getting into ARs. I've had a 16" and 20" upper from them, both were fine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

hermosabeach
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
youtube is your friend....

Brownells and other have posted videos on changing and or installing a barell on an AR 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxa0JJU4Iw