PDA

View Full Version : Ammo shipping FUD at UPS

SixtyDashOne
05-16-2012, 5:06 PM
I went to the UPS store today to ship some ammo to a friend of mine in Oregon. I was shipping 750rds to him in trade for something. I had an untouched case of 1000rds that I had gotten from Natchez awhile back, so I simply re-used the box that they sent it to me in, took 250rds out of the case and filled the empty spaces with packing material.

So I take the box to the UPS store and the girl behind the counter asks me what's in it. I told her it's handgun ammunition.

She tells me it's illegal to ship ammo. I tell her no it's not, this ammo was shipped to me.

Then she tells me UPS doesn't ship ammo. I point to the box and the leftover remnants of the original shipping label that says "UPS ground" and tell her "UPS ships ammo, they shipped this box of ammo to me." I tell her it just has to ship ground, and it needs an ORM-D sticker. She tells me "we don't do that here."

She gets on the phone with some other uninformed person, and smugly tells me "see, I was right. We don't ship ammo."

I asked "well I know UPS ships ammo, so does it just need to be shipped from a hub?" She's talking to the other person on the phone and says "yes, it needs to be shipped from a hub, and it needs to be sent to a firearms dealer where your friend can pick it up." I told her "I'm not a firearms dealer and this ammo was shipped to me..." She says "well it has to go to a firearms dealer so you'll have to take it to the hub and make arrangements for your friend to pick it up from a firearms dealer.

At this point I was starting to get frustrated with her ignorance of the law and was thinking to myself "ok, whatever..."

I left and took the package to Fedex and they shipped it no questions asked.

My question is, is there something I can print out that I can take with me in the event that I get hassled over this in the future? I searched around on the UPS site for a bit but couldn't find much dealing with ammo. There's a page on shipping firearms, but not ammo. I know that certain counties have restrictions on shipping ammo, but this is not one of them. I am just wondering if there is something definitive that I can show to some ignoramus behind the counter that basically says "you are wrong! in your face!"

rromeo
05-16-2012, 5:12 PM
They are almost right, except about shipping to an FFL. Ammo must be shipped from a UPS hub, the stores will not.
Just forget about them and don't go back there.

mej16489
05-16-2012, 5:14 PM
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/examples/ground_ormd.html

SixtyDashOne
05-16-2012, 5:36 PM
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/examples/ground_ormd.html

I was googling after the hassle the girl at the UPS store gave me, and I did see that page actually, but it does not mention exactly what UPS considers to be "hazardous materials"

Is there something someplace that definitively states that ammunition falls into that category?

The concern is that I show somebody that page you linked, and then they say something like "well ammo doesn't fall into that category"

cmichini
05-16-2012, 5:41 PM
Send an email to UPS and tell them your experience and that the white truck now gets your business and you'll be badmouthing the poop colored brown truck to your fellow 1 million CA gun owners. If they want to keep some of that market, as what they'll do train their monkeys better.

vantec08
05-16-2012, 5:45 PM
I finished with UPS under similar scenario. Used fedex exclusively now.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-16-2012, 5:47 PM
Remember that "The UPS Store" locations are all independently owned franchises.

dustoff31
05-16-2012, 5:48 PM
They are almost right, except about shipping to an FFL. Ammo must be shipped from a UPS hub, the stores will not.
Just forget about them and don't go back there.

This is my experience as well. Never had that problem with FEDEX.

Clownpuncher
05-16-2012, 5:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, UPS stores are independently owned and operated. So, they may not ship ammunition from that store, either because they have something moral against it or,more likely, they are too dumb to know the rules and requirements.
As for not being able to ship from the store, I doubt there is a rule on it as I doubt that Natchez or any other supplier ships from a hub. UPS, I am sure, picks it up from them just like they do from the independent stores.

NoNOS67
05-16-2012, 6:24 PM
I was googling after the hassle the girl at the UPS store gave me, and I did see that page actually, but it does not mention exactly what UPS considers to be "hazardous materials"

Is there something someplace that definitively states that ammunition falls into that category?

The concern is that I show somebody that page you linked, and then they say something like "well ammo doesn't fall into that category"

Transportation of hazardous materials is covered in 49 CFR. The feds make the determination of what constitutes a "hazardous material", but nothing prevents UPS from making further restrictions.

microwaveguy
05-16-2012, 6:25 PM
+1 to Fedex ....... I don't use the brown truck unless I have to ( ship on someone else account number)

I my personal feeling on UPS = Universal Package Smasher.

pbsmind
05-16-2012, 7:12 PM
Another +1 FedEx

RickD427
05-16-2012, 8:45 PM
I went to the UPS store today to ship some ammo to a friend of mine in Oregon. I was shipping 750rds to him in trade for something. I had an untouched case of 1000rds that I had gotten from Natchez awhile back, so I simply re-used the box that they sent it to me in, took 250rds out of the case and filled the empty spaces with packing material.

So I take the box to the UPS store and the girl behind the counter asks me what's in it. I told her it's handgun ammunition.

She tells me it's illegal to ship ammo. I tell her no it's not, this ammo was shipped to me.

Then she tells me UPS doesn't ship ammo. I point to the box and the leftover remnants of the original shipping label that says "UPS ground" and tell her "UPS ships ammo, they shipped this box of ammo to me." I tell her it just has to ship ground, and it needs an ORM-D sticker. She tells me "we don't do that here."

She gets on the phone with some other uninformed person, and smugly tells me "see, I was right. We don't ship ammo."

I asked "well I know UPS ships ammo, so does it just need to be shipped from a hub?" She's talking to the other person on the phone and says "yes, it needs to be shipped from a hub, and it needs to be sent to a firearms dealer where your friend can pick it up." I told her "I'm not a firearms dealer and this ammo was shipped to me..." She says "well it has to go to a firearms dealer so you'll have to take it to the hub and make arrangements for your friend to pick it up from a firearms dealer.

At this point I was starting to get frustrated with her ignorance of the law and was thinking to myself "ok, whatever..."

My question is, is there something I can print out that I can take with me in the event that I get hassled over this in the future? I searched around on the UPS site for a bit but couldn't find much dealing with ammo. There's a page on shipping firearms, but not ammo. I know that certain counties have restrictions on shipping ammo, but this is not one of them. I am just wondering if there is something definitive that I can show to some ignoramus behind the counter that basically says "you are wrong! in your face!"

You were not dealing with UPS at that "UPS store".

UPS storefront locations are primarily franchise outfits that contract to provide UPS services. They maintain a legal identity that is separate from UPS. I learned this the hard way when UPS lost a package of mine and I went through the claims process. Their posture was "We (UPS) never got your package."

MrBrent
05-16-2012, 9:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, UPS stores are independently owned and operated. So, they may not ship ammunition from that store, either because they have something moral against it or,more likely, they are too dumb to know the rules and requirements.
As for not being able to ship from the store, I doubt there is a rule on it as I doubt that Natchez or any other supplier ships from a hub. UPS, I am sure, picks it up from them just like they do from the independent stores.

I remember reading somewhere that UPS will ship your ammo if you have a scheduled stop at your business like Natchez would. If you don't you are not allowed to schedule a pickup at your home to ship ammo and you need to bring to a UPS Hub.

Massan
05-16-2012, 9:32 PM
Nod and smile, sometimes you just cant cure stupid. I had an argument at the local Post Office(yes I know...) when I was trying to ship my rifle barrel for some work(stripped barrel only). Chunky person behind counter started rambling on about explosive hazards from gunpowder residue in the barrel and so on, left after a few minutes cause I was starting to see red and went to UPS.

gobler
05-16-2012, 11:27 PM
One of the reasons why I never tell them what I am shipping. Part of my business is replicating movie props to sell so one in particular I list as a plastic, gold colored "book end" figure. Kinda vague and boring but so far after six years no issues. If I need to ship a mag or grips or what ever I just list it as "machined parts"

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

SilverSpork
05-17-2012, 12:53 AM

I work at UPS as a supervisor for a night sort in Northern CA. I'm a hazmat responder and supervise air shipments. UPS Stores / Freight fly the UPS flag but are different entities of UPS. In the future, if you choose to ship ammo / firearms, I would suggest going to a hub. The people there are better trained, in my opinion, and a supervisor is always nearby if you need additional help. You are correct for your shipment if going ground would just need to be declared ammo and need a ORM-D sticker, I believe you can't ship ammo larger than .50cal or 8 gauge shot shells. The UPS Haz Support center number is 1-800-554-9964, posted on ups.com, if you have any questions regarding how to **** ammo or other regulated materials.

NoJoke
05-17-2012, 5:27 AM
...now it's not so difficult to understand why those UPS stores are going out of business.

Outta Control
05-17-2012, 5:45 AM

It is the lead on the projectile and the cocktail mix in the powder makes them "Hazardous Material".

Yes it would be on the hazardous material page on UPS. :)

Yes it does because it is a hazardous material. :)

Just go to a UPS hub next time.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-17-2012, 5:50 AM
I hate ups, on my last item that I took them I ask the guy if the can put some patting on in the box, next thing I know they charge me $8 just for that to had patting, I will never go back to ups again.

steamerjames
05-17-2012, 6:57 AM
I'd never use Fedex after what happened to me yeserday.They have a culture of LYING to the customier.I was lyed two, twice.I missed two attemps to deliever a package, so i called the message center.Note:you cannot call the local center. just like dealing with the IRS, except the IRS is much more friendly.Just to get rid of me,they said i could arrainge a time for Delievly.I am retired and often take a nap in the afternoon so i said 10:30 am would be fine.I was up and had breakfeast and waited till 12:30pm.I called the message center who said, "We have no such policy, the package could come anytime today.I thanked them for finding an honest man and hung-up.The prevous attempt had been 2:05pm, so i decieded to wait till 2:30 in the hope he would come at the same time.He did come at the same time(PS i am deaf from years of shooting).This time i heard him knock on the door.HE SAID I KNOCKED AND RANG THE DOORBELL, a ly, my doorbell is quite loud and me wife who is disabilited would have heard it.If he had rang the doorbell on the pervious attemps to deliever i would have heard it also.The man is too stupid or lazy to ring the doorbell, it would have salved him two extra trips to my house.I will NEVER use FEDEX again.

leadstorm
05-17-2012, 7:20 AM
I have shipped a dozen or so firearms with UPS, and have shipped ammo as well with no problem at all. I ship from the hub here in town.

When I've shipped the firearms, they haven't even asked for proof of an FFL at the other end (even though that's where they're going) - they simply require an adult signature on the receiving end.

People and attitudes are different with geography, despite who they work for.

I also order a lot of stuff from Amazon/Midway/etc - never had a problem receiving the merchandise in good condition.

FedEx Ground is ALL independent contractors.

Jason_2111
05-17-2012, 7:46 AM
Your mileage definitely varies...

For my area, "Brown" is the color of poo... the driver(s) are morons, and frequently don't attempt delivery the first or second time... too lazy to go up the stairs I guess.
The fedex guy is a bit of an over-achiever, and always gives great timely service.

Where my brother-in-law lives down south, it's the exact opposite.

You can't beat FedEx for tracking though.

USPS = "There is a package, somewhere, that may or may not be delivered"
UPS = "It's not there yet, probably tomorrow"
FedEx = "It's on the left side of the 3rd shelf on the truck doing 45mph down your street RIGHT NOW".