PDA

View Full Version : Best AKM variant on the California market?

Travis590A1
05-16-2012, 5:04 PM
Ok I just sold my I.O. and I have to many AK accessories to not own and AK. So now that im looking for one I want to get the best stamped AK on the market. I've seen the crappyness of the I.O. and now I want to look on the other side of the spectrum. What is the most, rugged and reliable? Fit and finish is important but I'm more focused on that AK reliability. Thanks guys

killathrilla
05-16-2012, 5:06 PM

Travis590A1
05-16-2012, 5:15 PM
Lol not with my handyman skills

tujungatoes
05-16-2012, 5:15 PM
:shrug:...Ask 10 people you'll probably get 10 different answers. Anything should be better than your IO.

luckystrike
05-16-2012, 5:22 PM
Wasrs work, most of the time. If fit and finish is concerned and you don't want to home build then arsenal, lancasters are nice lookers too but the have had some QC issues for the past several years.

tujungatoes
05-16-2012, 5:31 PM
Travis if you'd like to build your own, get a parts kit and come down to our next la/oc build party. We can teach anyone to build ak's. No experience required.;)

zfields
05-16-2012, 5:47 PM
Hasn't this been answered in one of your 5 other AK threads where people told you to replace that piece of junk?

Travis590A1
05-16-2012, 7:01 PM
Lol I did sell the p.o.s. I.O. now the next step is to get a replacement. Question is do I wanto build my. Own or get one already built...can somebody walk me through how you would turn an saiga into an arsenal?

sl4ck3r
05-16-2012, 7:39 PM
krebs?

zfields
05-16-2012, 7:43 PM
Lol I did sell the p.o.s. I.O. now the next step is to get a replacement. Question is do I wanto build my. Own or get one already built...can somebody walk me through how you would turn an saiga into an arsenal?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page

bohoki
05-16-2012, 9:02 PM
saiga 308

SJgunguy24
05-16-2012, 9:02 PM

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/SaigavsArsenal2.jpg
One is an Arsenal, the other is one of my builds, you tell me which is which.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/myyugo.jpg
My favorite 762 AK in my collection.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/mybulgy2.jpg
My favorite 545.

If you take your time and do it right, the final product will be much nicer then any mass produced gun out there. The close second is having one built by a shop that only does 1 gun at a time and that persons reputation ride on every gun they build.

gotshotgun?
05-16-2012, 9:25 PM
How many guns do you do at a time? :rolleyes:

Richard Erichsen
05-16-2012, 9:55 PM
Ok I just sold my I.O. and I have to many AK accessories to not own and AK. So now that im looking for one I want to get the best stamped AK on the market. I've seen the crappyness of the I.O. and now I want to look on the other side of the spectrum. What is the most, rugged and reliable? Fit and finish is important but I'm more focused on that AK reliability. Thanks guys

You need to build one and I'd suggest starting with a basic Romanian model first and working your way through more challenging builds later.

With an expert at your side during the 4-6 hours it takes to build one, you'll learn more than you thought was even involved in the process and you might just begin the addition that has afflicted so many before you.

Good luck,

R

tujungatoes
05-16-2012, 9:55 PM

I know....so what do I get for a correct answer?:D

Travis590A1
05-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Well every saiga conversion on youtube says you have the push the trigger guard up and re-rivet it. That's the kind of thing I'm not sure I can do.

SJgunguy24
05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I know....so what do I get for a correct answer?:D

A free tax audit!

SJgunguy24
05-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Well every saiga conversion on youtube says you have the push the trigger guard up and re-rivet it. That's the kind of thing I'm not sure I can do.

Depends on how you want to do it. You can replace the entire unit, tuck the tab under the mag tower, or cut the triggerguard and weld it to the mag tower.

Travis590A1
05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Well I have no welding experience. People say converting is easy but from what I see it is if you know how to weld and heat treat metal...which I do not.

arsilva32
05-16-2012, 11:41 PM

My favorite 545.

If you take your time and do it right, the final product will be much nicer then any mass produced gun out there. The close second is having one built by a shop that only does 1 gun at a time and that persons reputation ride on every gun they build.

i say the one on the bottom is your build?

email
05-16-2012, 11:51 PM
The upper one is the arsenal.

MrPlink
05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
bottom one is the ARSENAL. From the pix it appears to have the goof troop proprietary mag lock

boom1911
05-17-2012, 1:44 AM

Interested in selling the Arsenal? Sharing is a beautiful thing! :D

S470FM
05-17-2012, 1:50 AM
agree with MrPlink. Finish on the receiver is also more like Arsenal's. is it a 74?

zfields
05-17-2012, 5:33 AM
Well I have no welding experience. People say converting is easy but from what I see it is if you know how to weld and heat treat metal...which I do not.

Watch the link I posted. No welding needed.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

SJgunguy24
05-17-2012, 9:13 AM
i say the one on the bottom is your build?

Nope

The upper one is the arsenal.

Nope

bottom one is the ARSENAL. From the pix it appears to have the goof troop proprietary mag lock

Winner!!!

Interested in selling the Arsenal? Sharing is a beautiful thing! :D

Neither of those are mine, 95% of the guns I build I never keep. The guns in the bottom 2 pics are from my collection.

boom1911
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Neither of those are mine, 95% of the guns I build I never keep. The guns in the bottom 2 pics are from my collection.

PM sent.

Dhena81
05-17-2012, 10:36 AM

My favorite 545.

The bottom one is the arsenal I can tell by the finish it looks like a Rustoleom black finish :43:

pyro3k2
05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
:shrug:...Ask 10 people you'll probably get 10 different answers. Anything should be better than your IO.

first thing that went through my mind when I read this.
On this Forum the correct answer is home built, followed by a Saiga conversion.

Revolver Ocelot
05-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Did you even watch the videos Zfields posted for you?

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
If you buy one out the store get anything you want.
As for building... if you decide to build a kit, build a NICE one! i dont know where these people get "build a romy first then build a more challenging kit." Have these people built before? And if so explain that train of thought please.
They all build the same. "Except yugos milled" bulgy74, romyG, tula, romy m63, polish uf/fixed stock, amd65 etc etc.
Build something nice that your gna enjoy and be proud of. They are ALL easy with proper
help and proper tools.

BruinGuy
05-17-2012, 1:18 PM
Build it!

I hadn't built anything with metal since 9th grade metal-shop class, and I'm now the proud owner of two slick, perfectly functioning AKs thanks to the guys at the SoCal build parties and my own two hands. There really is something special about shooting a gun you built from a bag of parts!

stix213
05-17-2012, 2:01 PM
Arsenal SGL-21 is probably the best in a reasonable price range that doesn't require you to do any work other than pull out your wallet.

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 2:17 PM
@stix.
How is arsenal sgl best?

Mamluke
05-17-2012, 2:43 PM
... Best AKM variant on the California market ...

...... ah ... the one I have!

...... :D

tujungatoes
05-17-2012, 3:07 PM
i dont know where these people get "build a romy first then build a more challenging kit." Have these people built before? And if so explain that train of thought please.

The thought process behind that is that a matching numbers original barrel romy akm is much less work than many other kits on the market. Less work means less chance for screwing something up. Also a f**k up on a romy kit is much less costly to fix than one on a rare/more expensive kit.

You had Nico as a tutor. I'm not really sure I could think of anyone better. As such your initial f**k-up potential was nearly zero. That isn't the case for all new builders.

NorCalK9.com
05-17-2012, 4:29 PM
@toes.
Considering the romy's rarely come w/orig barrels anymore and when they do they still demand a higher price than an amd65 or bulgy74.
And yes you're rite i had a GREAT tutor. We usually only ruined 3 flats per build and maybe a barrel or 2 lol just kidding.

boom1911
05-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Build it!

I hadn't built anything with metal since 9th grade metal-shop class, and I'm now the proud owner of two slick, perfectly functioning AKs thanks to the guys at the SoCal build parties and my own two hands. There really is something special about shooting a gun you built from a bag of parts!

@toes.
Considering the romy's rarely come w/orig barrels anymore and when they do they still demand a higher price than an amd65 or bulgy74.
And yes you're rite i had a GREAT tutor. We usually only ruined 3 flats per build and maybe a barrel or 2 lol just kidding.

I'm looking at one of those Romy G kits with original BBL, however an AK is a totally different beast than say an AR build or even a FAL build. I'm looking and hoping for one of these elusive build parties in the central valley/NorCal.

350 for a matching parts kit w/ original barrel worth it?

NorCalK9, where do you and Toes build yours? Do you want to pass on your skills to an eager noob? :) Otherwise, I'll have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced Maadi RML.

Richard Erichsen
05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
The thought process behind that is that a matching numbers original barrel romy akm is much less work than many other kits on the market. Less work means less chance for screwing something up. Also a f**k up on a romy kit is much less costly to fix than one on a rare/more expensive kit.

You had Nico as a tutor. I'm not really sure I could think of anyone better. As such your initial f**k-up potential was nearly zero. That isn't the case for all new builders.

Tujungatoes knows all.....

A close second is an AK-Builder kit with a pre-populated, pre-headspaced barrel/front end.

R

Richard Erichsen
05-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm looking at one of those Romy G kits with original BBL, however an AK is a totally different beast than say an AR build or even a FAL build. I'm looking and hoping for one of these elusive build parties in the central valley/NorCal.

350 for a matching parts kit w/ original barrel worth it?

NorCalK9, where do you and Toes build yours? Do you want to pass on your skills to an eager noob? :) Otherwise, I'll have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced Maadi RML.

$350 is about going rate. Get them while original barrels are still possible to obtain. AK-Builder is a solid plan B.

R

tujungatoes
05-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Tujungatoes knows all.....

With the exception of the above statement, I agree with everything you just said.

Richard Erichsen
05-19-2012, 1:09 PM
With the exception of the above statement, I agree with everything you just said.

Tujungatoes knows enough..... ;)

R