PDA

View Full Version : ak muzzle brake angled

zeddy
05-16-2012, 1:02 PM
Hey everyone, I have an ak pistol (7.62) that had the slanted muzzle brake. I didnt like the look of it so i replaced it with a 74 style brake. The 74 style brake looks to be slightly angled down. The muzzle brake is off of a wasr10, which sat on straight. The pictures might not be as good as in person but it is angled down a tad. Will it fire without blowing the brake off? I have a 14x1LH threading kit, would re-thread it but I don't like how the threads are. Seem real shallow. What are my options if it's jacked up?

pyro3k2
05-16-2012, 1:07 PM
switch over to the slant muzzle brake, shouldn't cause any issues if your threads are indeed messed up.

SOMIS 13
05-16-2012, 1:21 PM
the AK 74 brake for 7.62 cal. should have an exit hole of about .400" , If you put a dowel through the brake and into the barrel that fits the barrel prety tite, (as close to .308 as possible). if its in the barrel a couple of inches and does not contact the brake your gtg. if it goes in the barrel and touches the side of the brake you've got issues and definately should not try to shoot the weapon.
is it just angled or is the brake loose as well?

Munny$hot
05-16-2012, 1:34 PM
If you rotate the brake 180* will it point up?

zeddy
05-16-2012, 2:16 PM
I like the 74 style too much. I'll switch it back if I run out of options. The muzzle brake is not loose. i'll try the turning it 180. I gotta find something for the barrel to make sure it doesn't touch the brake.

Revolver Ocelot
05-16-2012, 3:05 PM
Is that a cheap 74 break knock off? Are the holes in line on the top or staggered?

zeddy
05-16-2012, 4:31 PM
Im not sure what brand the brake is, it does have two in line holes on top. the brake came with my wasr when i bought it a few years ago.

SOMIS 13
05-16-2012, 6:32 PM
I have the Krebs 74 brake on my saiga and it has 3 holes . two are the same distance from the front site block and the 3rd is a little further forward. mine fits perfect and works awsome

loosewreck
05-16-2012, 7:25 PM
I suggest removing it just to be safe.

Just this past Monday I got a nasty deep little cut on my left arm and a couple small ones on my right arm and forehead, because the 74 brake on my friends 47 was canted and started blowing shrapnel back at us. He got a few small cuts, but since I was stationed to the left of him I got it bad, the deep one bled for a while, I probably should have got a stitch or two, but I wanted to keep shooting, so I just put pressure on it and wrapped it tightly with with some masking tape and a folded paper towel. Later, my friend said that its was funny how calm and casual I was, I joked back "imagine if it had hit me in the jugular or if it was a stranger instead of me." He didn't think it was funny anymore.

vonCraz
05-16-2012, 9:05 PM
Slant brake is much shorter than that AK74-style... thus, it shows now, that the first 1/4 inch of the barrel thread is not lined up with the barrel center-line, i.e. angled... so... I don't see any probs with re-running the threads straight, because it will fix the angled part, removing the excessive metal. Hell, I had done it with high-pressure fittings and pipes of the different thickness. Should work, in theory, with your barrel issue... IMHO.

Munny$hot
05-16-2012, 9:26 PM
Ak brakes will tend to sag a little since it doesnt snug up to the barrel. The tapco brake I meassured was .370 at the opening and it did have a bit of up and down movement @ 1/8". I examined the brake and saw no signs of the projectile hitting the brake at all. I would advise against chasing the the barrel threads because you may loosen the thread pitch fit. If your concerned with tightening up the fit try teflon tape. Im not sure what the tempature rating of it is but at least it will not do anyhing that couldnt be eaisly reversed. IMHO best brake for your pistol to reduce the muzzle flip/kick.

zeddy
05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Crap, I really like the look but at the same time don't want shrapnel in my face. Any way I can rethread it to make it even? The brake in there is pretty snug, no play whatsoever.

SOMIS 13
05-17-2012, 3:30 PM
you could always make a bushing that would fit the bore diameter and have a step in diameters so the bushing fit the brake as well. with it being a 1 piece jig totaly parallel , it would line the barrel and brake perfectly and tack weld the brake to the barrel. this would fix your delima.( of course you would have to use a lathe to make the piece I speak of)

vonCraz
05-17-2012, 3:53 PM
I think just re-running the thread with the 14x1 LH alignment tool will fix the issue.
Check with www.cncwarrior.com and www.carolinashooterssupply.com. Save the tools you gonna get for the future ))) Besides, those guys will be glad to answer your question even via e-mail.

zeddy
05-17-2012, 7:17 PM
I think just re-running the thread with the 14x1 LH alignment tool will fix the issue.
Check with www.cncwarrior.com and www.carolinashooterssupply.com. Save the tools you gonna get for the future ))) Besides, those guys will be glad to answer your question even via e-mail.

I have the threading kit and tried it this afternoon (threaded two saiga barrels). the first two turns only shaved off the threads. didnt want to continue to destory the existing threads. Do i need to tighten the little screw on the die? it's a 14x1lh die.

vonCraz
05-17-2012, 8:12 PM
I have the threading kit and tried it this afternoon (threaded two saiga barrels). the first two turns only shaved off the threads. didnt want to continue to destory the existing threads. Do i need to tighten the little screw on the die? it's a 14x1lh die.
that screw regs the depth of the thread... don't overtight it, or die will break.
Did you use the alignment tool at the same time ?

osis32
05-17-2012, 9:18 PM
You could try custom fitting a washer to prop/tighten it up.

zeddy
05-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes I did use an alignment tool.. The brake is on tight. I want to re thread now for two reasons, 1) fix the cant of the brake and 2) have deeper normal looking threads. I'll put pics of the threads

zeddy
05-17-2012, 10:27 PM
So tightening that screw on the die a little will adjust the dept of the threads. Like mentioned, don't over tighten it?

vonCraz
05-17-2012, 11:17 PM
So tightening that screw on the die a little will adjust the dept of the threads. Like mentioned, don't over tighten it?

That's right. Put oil.
You can play with it while it's off the work, and see how diameter of the die changes slightly, when you adjust that screw... So set it, as you wish, put on top of the work, and estimate, decide what you want; but be aware, that you don't know if that die is really tool steel, and you not turning the barrel on the lathe... so, be careful, and don't go too deep... Make sure your work is very secured in a vise... And so on... you know the drill...

BradleyAbrams
05-18-2012, 9:48 AM
Once you thread the barrel to M14 X 1, you may want to consider getting a 14mm-LH to 24mm-RH adapter and installing one of these AK-74 Muzzle Brakes.

Do remember that the AK-74 Brakes were meant for a smaller caliber bullet and so you may have to ream the Brake's bore a little bit.

Original East-German AK-74 "Zig-Zag" Muzzle Brake ( $35 ):

http://www.robertrtg.com/images/egakflash1.jpg

http://www.robertrtg.com/ak74flashhider.html

14mm to 24mm Adapter:

http://www.combathunting.com/23697692.gif

http://www.combathunting.com/AK47_AK74_MAK_90_MAADI-AK_Muzzle_Brake_Adapter.html

-

zeddy
05-24-2012, 2:17 PM
Alright, so I re-threaded the whole thing again. the first half of the threads are too shallow, wont hold, muzzle brake just goes on. the last half is good. tightens up against the FSB. Not canted anymore and no play.

I am really anal when it comes to perfection. The fact the first half to the threads are no good, is it possible to remove the front sight base and gas black and install one of these (see attached photo). Or could I install an adapter BradleyAbrams posted up and use thread lock on the adapter.

thanks guys for your input. I really apperciate it.

tujungatoes
05-24-2012, 5:45 PM
to install those front site/gas block combos you'll need to press out your barrel, shorten, and possibly re-profile it. Not impossible, but it will require a lathe. *edit* looking again you may also have to weld shut the gas port and re-drill.