PDA

View Full Version : Free Float Handguard vs. Delta ring

Flowmini98
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
For those of you that have experience firing both the delta ring equipt AR rifles and the free float hand guard rifles can you really tell a noticable difference between the accuracy of the two?

I got a good deal on the upper on my current AR and it was equipt with a free float hanguard, but now that im building a second rifle (probably used by my wife and son mostly) im thinking of using an upper with a delta ring...but dont want to sacrifice accuracy since my marksmanship is nothing to brag about already.

MrPlink
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM
well that depends on a lot of things.

1) are you a good enough shooter for it to matter?
2) Is your barrel good enough for it matter?
3) Are you using ammo good enough for it to matter?

If you are primarily shooting from a loaded bipod and are looking for the best groups then it may really matter.
If your focus is on practical/tactical cqb, then it wont matter as much.

tacticalcity
05-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Translation, you will never actually notice a difference in your shooting but a certain style of rifle calls for it, and hopefully you can grow into it as you improve.

If you are building a long range precision machine do FF. Can be a rail, a tube, whatever, but precision rifles should have precision parts.

If you are building anything else, like a run and gun rifle, you don't really need to but if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside then nobody is gonna look at you sideways if you go FF.

My favorite AR, does not have a free floating forend. I can add whatever I want as I sell this stuff, I opted not to go the freel floating route because it is for CQB and just doesn't need it - and I like my particular setup better.

scglock
05-16-2012, 2:32 AM
^+1

Unless its for long range precision, you wont notice any difference

Sir Stunna Lot
05-16-2012, 3:36 AM
the accuracy (grouping) will only be noticeble as you push out further and further in distance. however, the FF alone wont help; the entire rifle has to be built for long range accuracy to benefit from the FF

Flowmini98
05-16-2012, 9:57 AM
Thank you all, Thats kinda what I was thinking.

RT13
05-16-2012, 7:02 PM
AR15 unless it's a long barreled precision rifle is pointless to have a FF. Your everyday 14.5"-16" barrel will work just fine if not better with a delta ring giving you quicker and multi accessory and change options and availability.

SuperSet
05-16-2012, 7:12 PM
Molon on ARFCOM tested this with 2 identical rifles once. I can't find the post now since it was years ago but the conclusion was somewhere around 0.75MOA difference.