PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Valley Democratic Club Meeting May 23

jdberger
05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Diablo Valley Democratic Club’s May 23 Meeting Features Conversation About “Ending Gun Violence: Where Are We At?” (http://contracostadems.org/2012/05/diablo-valley-democratic-clubs-may-23-meeting-features-conversation-about-ending-gun-violence-where-are-we-at/)

The Diablo Valley Democratic Club's Wednesday, May 23 meeting (note the special night) will feature the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence's Karen Arntzen discussing "Ending Gun Violence: Where Are We At?"

Arntzen will discuss what we've learned from Virginia Tech, Tucson, Oikos, and all-too-common but less publicized gun violence in the Bay Area. What can we do? She'll also discuss the need for action right here in Central Contra Costa County.

The DVDC meets from 7-9 p.m. at the Ygnacio Valley Library, 2661 Oak Grove Road, Walnut Creek. Please park on Deerpark Drive, the first right after the library, unless you have difficulty walking. For more information, call 925-946-0469 or visit the club's web site (http://dvdems.org/DVDems/Home.html).

http://dvdems.org/DVDems/Home_files/Events%20Calendar%205%204%2012.jpg

Calgunners should show up, be respectful, ask questions like "why does does the Democratic Party want to get involved on the wrong side of a civil rights issue?"

More suggestions for respectful questions and comments would be appreciated.

zvardan
05-16-2012, 8:04 AM
I'm there.

redhead
05-16-2012, 8:12 AM
The "need for action in Pleasant Hill?" Eh, what? I saw the article in the CC Times, and posted on the thread here, but still. As if PH is a hot bed of "gun violence." I really hate that term. So, get rid of guns, and voila! Violence disappears. It's a freakin' miracle! This issue is one of the major ones why I registered out of the Dem party about 20 years ago, and it's only gotten worse.

OK, got that off my chest. I don't plan on attending the Dem meeting, but I do plan on some involvement with the PH issue specifically.

jdberger
05-16-2012, 6:33 PM
I'm going to do my best to show, also.

Lagduf
05-16-2012, 6:44 PM
We need a Gun Owners Against Gun Violence group who seeks to end gun violence and not just ban guns.

mag360
05-16-2012, 7:27 PM
there is "armed community against violence" on facebook. You guys better go to this!! I'm working that night or I would go. This will be hitting our opponents in the knees, crippling their momentum.

step 1, keep them from hurtin us.

2. Get pro gun people in power

3. Full court press stupid ideas that focus groups like this will come up with.

The War Wagon
05-16-2012, 7:39 PM
Diablo Valley Democratic Club’s May 23 Meeting Features Conversation About “Ending Gun Violence: Where Are We At?” (http://contracostadems.org/2012/05/diablo-valley-democratic-clubs-may-23-meeting-features-conversation-about-ending-gun-violence-where-are-we-at/)

Behind the preposition, "at?" http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

mag360
05-16-2012, 7:51 PM
make sure you guys make a facebook event and cross post it to contra costa open carry and the calguns members page on facebook.

Scarecrow Repair
05-17-2012, 6:22 AM
Behind the preposition, "at?" http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

That is something up with which we should not put!

Decoligny
05-17-2012, 8:30 AM
The "need for action in Pleasant Hill?" Eh, what? I saw the article in the CC Times, and posted on the thread here, but still. As if PH is a hot bed of "gun violence." I really hate that term. So, get rid of guns, and voila! Violence disappears. It's a freakin' miracle! This issue is one of the major ones why I registered out of the Dem party about 20 years ago, and it's only gotten worse.

OK, got that off my chest. I don't plan on attending the Dem meeting, but I do plan on some involvement with the PH issue specifically.

If all the guns on earth simply vanished overnight, there would be no more gun violence. We would instead have rampant knife, club, chain, fist, and every other type of violence. Without the deterrent effect, i.e. the bad guy knowing he could be shot, there would be nothing to stop the strong from preying on the weak. Or the many preying upon the few.

eville
05-17-2012, 3:50 PM
I'm tentative. This should be good.

chiselchst
05-17-2012, 4:45 PM
We need a Gun Owners Against Gun Violence group who seeks to end gun violence and not just ban guns.

There, fixed it for you... :D

dfletcher
05-17-2012, 7:35 PM
The library is a public building, shouldn't the city of Walnut Creek allow a pro-gun group to hold a similar meeting at a later date?

jdberger
05-22-2012, 2:21 PM
The library is a public building, shouldn't the city of Walnut Creek allow a pro-gun group to hold a similar meeting at a later date?

Yes. Though technically the Diablo Valley Democratic Club isn't an anti gun group.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this event. Mrs jdberger got called away on business and I'm in charge of the ankle-biters. Though it might be interesting to bring my 3 boys to a political meeting, especially one where dear Karen Arntzen is going to be promoting her anti-rights drivel, it probably wouldn't be appropriate.

Please think about what you would like to ask and consider how you are going to frame your questions. Be polite. Be gracious. Wear business casual clothing.

If we want to change the face of California politics, this is where we start, on the local level.

Please also follow up with an after action report.

mag360
05-22-2012, 8:59 PM
I hope you guys get more people there than I got for walking to help Mitch Netto. Kinda sad, lots of people blab all day on here about "how bad things, take our state back, etc" yet do nothing. Good luck and make us proud!

tankerman
05-22-2012, 9:21 PM
Much more entertaining to act serious, be real into the Brady message, and ask serious but seriously stupid questions. Turn the entire evening into one big embarrassing nightmare.

Don't forget to wear a tie dye.

mag360
05-22-2012, 9:27 PM
dood, troll their own event haha.

"why do we stop at gunss, I want to know what is being done to ban all pointy and sharp objects"

george223
05-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Years ago, some of my buddies from our local NRA chapter infiltrated the monthly meeting of a local anti-gun group. The group was headed by this couple whose son was killed during a mugging in NYC. They wanted to take it out on all gun owners. Anyway, they played along with the group and acted as if they were 1 of them. They said it was very entertaining. I had to decline because I couldn't do it with a straight face.

You're not going to change any minds in these types of meetings. They pretty much have their minds made up. They'd rather go through life blind and dillusional. Go to the meeting and play along. You might have some fun.

There was a time on this earth when guns didn't exist. Survival was very difficult and human rights did not exist. These antigun types are very dillusional to think that human nature has changed since then.

safewaysecurity
05-22-2012, 11:10 PM

Actually we have a group like this already of facebook. http://www.facebook.com/theACAV

Also I will probably attend this event. I saw Karen at her presentation along with Colin Goddard at Diablo Valley College when they showed living for 32.

safewaysecurity
05-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Years ago, some of my buddies from our local NRA chapter infiltrated the monthly meeting of a local anti-gun group. The group was headed by this couple whose son was killed during a mugging in NYC. They wanted to take it out on all gun owners. Anyway, they played along with the group and acted as if they were 1 of them. They said it was very entertaining. I had to decline because I couldn't do it with a straight face.

You're not going to change any minds in these types of meetings. They pretty much have their minds made up. They'd rather go through life blind and dillusional. Go to the meeting and play along. You might have some fun.

There was a time on this earth when guns didn't exist. Survival was very difficult and human rights did not exist. These antigun types are very dillusional to think that human nature has changed since then.

It's fun to call them out in a very respectable way in front of their audience to show them that they are full of it. When Collin Goddard was presenting at DVC I countered his arguments with real statistics and he accused me of using "John Lott stats" and said because they were from John Lott that they had no credibility whatsoever. Though I disagree with that premise, the statistics I had were from government reports, lol and he didn't really know what to say.

safewaysecurity
05-23-2012, 7:16 PM
I think I'm the only CGer there.

jdberger
05-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks for showing up. Please, give us an after action report.

What was it like? Did you feel intimidated? Meet anyone interesting?

safewaysecurity
05-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Not many people. I'd say at it's peak maybe no more than 20 people. The presentation was boring, I stuck out like a sore thumb given that i was the only person under the age of 50. I was also the only first time attendee which suprised Karen since she knows that pro-rights people often show up at these kinds of events in numbers often greater than their own. I could tell she didn't want to answer my questions. Out of the 20 people there were maybe only 3 that were nice, the others were very close minded and at one point one of the Dems got mad at the President of the DVDems for not being liberal enough and accused her of being anti-union and stormed out simply because they were having a speaker that was going to talk about pension reform next month and he didn't like that it was going to be a "one sided" presentation. He clearly had no problem with today's one sided presentation.