PDA

View Full Version : Please Report All CA DOJ Issues to Calguns Foundation, esp. DROS delays!!

wildhawker
05-15-2012, 9:20 PM
UPDATE 7/21: If you have experienced, SPECIFICALLY, what appear to be improper delays or denials by DOJ during the DROS process, please [1] report the issue at http://calgunsfoundation.org/doj AND [2] email me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. Time is of the essence.

As a response to an increasing number of reports of apparently improper conduct on the part of the California Department of Justice towards those seeking to acquire firearms for self-defense - protected activity under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - The Calguns Foundation has established an incident and issue reporting form, accessible at http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html.

The information collected will be used to track the type and number of incidents and, where necessary, allow us to contact those whose rights may have been violated or otherwise damaged by the DOJ.

All those with urgent firearms-related incidents, such as arrests or seizures of property, should continue to contact us through the Calguns Foundation Help Hotline at http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html. (Please use the Help Hotline only for emergencies such as arrests, seizures, etc.)

-Brandon

gl0ckc0ma
05-15-2012, 9:24 PM
What about Ca DOJ Livescan program?

Here is my issue with them.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=572608

wildhawker
05-15-2012, 9:26 PM
What about Ca DOJ Livescan program?

Here is my issue with them.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=572608

Unless it's firearms-related, you might want to contact your prospective employer.

-Brandon

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Howdy folks, sorry if this is a boring, redundant thread. I recently purchased my first handgun (Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm) and I received a call from the FFL on the 10th day that this purchase was being delayed by the DOJ. I called the DOJ and they informed me that because I had an incident back in 1989 in Florida ( We were attacked in a bar during spring break and fought back) and although there is no conviction as they dropped the charges once the facts came out, the DOJ informed me they are checking to makes sure it is "Not a domestic violence" issue? I just asked if there is anything I could do to expedite the process and she said no? OK, my question is this, if there is clearly no conviction, and there isn't as I've purchased several long rifles without issue, why would the charge matter? Does anybody have any insight as to what exactly they are checking? It would seem to me that in absence of a guilty plea or a conviction the charge is irrelevant? It was completely benign, and we simply defended ourselves, but the arrest exists nevertheless even though the courts dropped all charges. Also, any idea how long this generally takes to clear up as they didn't tell me that, and they also wouldn't answer if once this is cleared up will it be a permanent fix to this unnecessary delay?

Thanks again folks, and I do apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, however, this has never happened to me before.

wildhawker
07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
http://calgunsfoundation.org/doj

-Brandon

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks, I would gladly submit this as an issue, however it appears the site is down?

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGc5ODVVbFpIYkJtbUJMV1Y0ZkMwZ Hc6MQ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 111 (net::ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

dantodd
07-19-2012, 12:20 PM
It is becoming increasingly obvious that the new Attorney General has altered the general process for determining eligibility to acquire firearms. It used to be that no conviction meant no problem. Now, any charges (or sometimes even arrest) is prohibiting unless and until it is proved to have been dropped or not charged.

Sorry, this is what the people of CA got when they elected Kamala Harris.

wildhawker
07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
It's just an[other] unlawful DOJ policy that went into effect around March.

Needless to say, the steamroller is being fueled up...

-Brandon

wildhawker
07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks, I would gladly submit this as an issue, however it appears the site is down?

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGc5ODVVbFpIYkJtbUJMV1Y0ZkMwZ Hc6MQ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 111 (net::ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

Try a different browser.

-Brandon

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
I would tend to agree. I do wish this incident never happened, however, it did as we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am not ashamed of defending myself and my friends at the time, I am however, ashamed at the actions of our "judicial" system attempting to interfere and strip the liberties of law abiding citizens who through the very system they allege to represent, try and condemn the innocent as found by that same judicial system. It is the checks and balances of a democracy that make for justice, not arbitrary, undocumented "laws". That is the realm of tyranny, not liberty.

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Brandon, I tried in both IE and Chrome. I can attempt this with Firefox as well. Let me give that an attempt. Thanks!

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:32 PM
OK, I think it was the proxy server my employer utilizes as I am able to pull this up via my phone's browser. I will make a submission as soon as I have internet access without a proxy server. Thanks!

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Another irony, even if this were a conviction, and it isn't just for clarity's sake, it would have only been a time limiting ban as it was a misdemeanor charge that WAS NOT domestic violence related. I have requested the data from the clerk of the court in Florida, and I can clearly see the charge, and the disposition of "nolle prosequi". I am baffled by their admission to to me that I am OK, however, they want to verify this wasn't domestic violence related? Even if it were, it was an allegation only, not a judgement by a judge in good standing. I am getting "inspired" the more I think about this as I really feel it's incidents like this that fuel the corruption if left unchecked.

INDABZ
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
It is becoming increasingly obvious that the new Attorney General has altered the general process for determining eligibility to acquire firearms. It used to be that no conviction meant no problem. Now, any charges (or sometimes even arrest) is prohibiting unless and until it is proved to have been dropped or not charged.

This is true...

YOU will have to prove that the charges were dropped.....

Or you will be delay for a long time.....

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I attempted to do just that with the information I received from the court. The DOJ would not accept that as it was not an official copy, understood. I asked if I could get a certified copy to help them speed things up, and they said, "No, we have our processes we must follow and they will resolve this eventually"? The court in Florida said they no longer have the file as they purge older files and only retain the docket for future reference, so not sure at all what the DOJ thinks they are going to receive that I haven't already?

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Last post for me, sorry I'm "inspired". It is not the wait that infuriates me, it is the lack of information from the DOJ and the lack of a method to get status updates. Waiting is fine as long as communication takes place, in this case it hasn't.

wildhawker
07-19-2012, 1:08 PM
OP, email me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. I'll send you some things you need to do ASAP.

-Brandon

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 1:12 PM
Will do Brandon, thank you.

strummerenator
07-19-2012, 4:31 PM
I made a submission to the site referenced above. Thanks.

Beldin
07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Keep pushing the system! We have to win each and every one of these issues...

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Agreed and will do! Thank You. I'm still shocked that in a system where we are all innocent until proven guilty, a mere arrest, which is an allegation, takes precedence over the judicial decision. In this case that doesn't involve guilt or a conviction of any kind.

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Still on delay BTW. Day 14 now.

Cactus_Tim
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
It took 8 weeks to resolve my delay.

That included sending fingerprints, waiting,
requesting a record review, waiting,
challenging the record, waiting,
being told they could not find the court record,
consulting an attorney,
and finally receiving a disposition after finding the court record
as I was gearing up to file for an administrative hearing.

Success! My revolver came home with me after 2 months in jail.

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow. Congrats for sticking with it and fighting for your rights! I really am not sure how to combat this effectively as they seem to have the proper information, but are looking for more to assist in a witch hunt against domestic violence apparently? I'm a pawn in an ideological battle between actual law versus that which Kamala Harris arbitrarily enforces.

Cactus_Tim
07-20-2012, 1:03 PM
Good luck. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do but wait.
They will resolve it eventually.
I hope it doesn't take as long for you.
The wheels of justice turn slowly.

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 1:07 PM
Me too. I think the only time said wheels spin freely, void of the obstruction of corruption, is when they are on the receiving end of our tax dollars. And of course they never abuse that or spend that unwisely.

Twystd1
07-20-2012, 5:47 PM
The below is the exact same experience that I had. Now I am good to go.

It took 8 weeks to resolve my delay.

That included sending fingerprints, waiting,
requesting a record review, waiting,
challenging the record, waiting,
being told they could not find the court record,
consulting an attorney,
and finally receiving a disposition after finding the court record
as I was gearing up to file for an administrative hearing.

Success! My revolver came home with me after 2 months in jail.

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 5:54 PM
Did it resolve it for you permanently?

dantodd
07-20-2012, 7:23 PM
Did it resolve it for you permanently?

It should. The problem is that the policy changed so that the exact same information that was cleared before is now causing problems. Once cleared you should have no problems on future purchases.

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 7:28 PM
OK well that's good to know. Thanks for the info.

strummerenator
07-20-2012, 9:39 PM
Found a great deal on AR-15 from a friend of mine who's moving abroad. Would I be jeopardizing anything in this process by placing a rifle in DROS while my pistol is still on delay? I would normally wait but I must decide quickly. Thanks for all the honest feedback folks.

dantodd
07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Found a great deal on AR-15 from a friend of mine who's moving abroad. Would I be jeopardizing anything in this process by placing a rifle in DROS while my pistol is still on delay? I would normally wait but I must decide quickly. Thanks for all the honest feedback folks.

It will almost certainly end up on the same delay. I am not sure how these delays effect the 30 day max time for a DROS.

strummerenator
07-21-2012, 9:32 AM
Thanks dantodd for the input, I appreciate it. Since I have to act now or lose the deal I will go ahead and purchase this knowing it will also more than likely get delayed. From what I read on the DOJ website it appears that these delays stop the 30 day timer. Anybody out there with knowledge about this fact? Again many thanks for the great info during my unfortunate and unjust delay. Thanks!

wildhawker
07-21-2012, 1:24 PM
Bumping this up to the top.

-Brandon

wildhawker
07-21-2012, 1:31 PM
OP, email me your contact info to bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org. I'll send you some things you need to do ASAP.

-Brandon

I still have not received an email.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=572870

-Brandon

strummerenator
07-21-2012, 2:35 PM
Hmmm..I was wondering as I did send it. I posted an incident on the link you provided as well. I will re send and re post if necessary. Thx Brandon.

strummerenator
07-21-2012, 2:40 PM
Just sent my contact info to your email address. Thx

Mrbroom
07-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Yep.. My partner got hit by this too.. Him and I have purchased firearms together for a number of years and then all of a sudden BAM!! Het gets denied!! He has contacted Brandon and is doing as soo advised..

tenpercentfirearms
07-22-2012, 7:48 AM
Good luck. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do but wait.
They will resolve it eventually.
I hope it doesn't take as long for you.
The wheels of justice turn slowly.

Wrong! There is more you can do than wait. Please contact us and report this so we can keep moving forward on getting this resolved so you do not have to wait any longer. If you have been put on delay, please, please contact us and become part of the solution. We can solve this, but we need your help to stand up and not take it anymore.

It will almost certainly end up on the same delay. I am not sure how these delays effect the 30 day max time for a DROS.
You will have 30 days to pick up once your delay is removed.

CSACANNONEER
07-22-2012, 8:17 AM
I have a friend who is going through a delay right now. I've told him to contact CGF but, so far, he hasn't wanted to. He is in contact with Jason Davis who has been giving him some guidance though.

thedrickel
07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a recurring problem. Whenever I run a DROS, the shop doesn't give me the firearm until 10 24hr periods have elapsed! What kind of bull**** is this? Can't you slackers do anything about it?

dantodd
07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a recurring problem. Whenever I run a DROS, the shop doesn't give me the firearm until 10 24hr periods have elapsed! What kind of bull**** is this? Can't you slackers do anything about it?

I know that you meant this in humor but it really adds nothing and is ripe for. misinterpretation.

strummerenator
07-22-2012, 2:21 PM
I too will do what Brandon advised me to do in order to remedy this for all. I admited I was arrested in 1989, however, it was dropped via nolle prossequi so again not sure what he DOJ is doing by "verifying this was not domestic violence". They can clearly see the disposition does not involve a conviction so I still argue at that point the initial charge/allegation is irrelevant. Day 16 on my wait. I will continue to call DOJ this week to attempt to get an ETA or consult an attorney. Thanks.

strummerenator
07-22-2012, 2:23 PM
Sorry for the typos, phone keyboard is small. :)

battleship
07-22-2012, 2:43 PM
I have never had a delay problem, but i am curious to see if the last gun which i drossed yesterday in a PPT might produce some concern, because my Green Card expires 2 days after my pic up date.
I have my citizenship interview on Aug 2nd in San Francisco,and i don't see any problems with my citizenship being granted, though being sworn in may take a couple of months after the interview. However because of the closeness to the expiration date of my green card could this raise a red flag with the DOJ

strummerenator
07-22-2012, 4:02 PM
Congrats on the citizenship battleship! That is always great to hear that we still believe in immigration and allow all to pursue their dreams as American citizens. Liberty for all! I hope it all works out for you.

anthonyca
07-22-2012, 6:59 PM
I have never had a delay problem, but i am curious to see if the last gun which i drossed yesterday in a PPT might produce some concern, because my Green Card expires 2 days after my pic up date.
I have my citizenship interview on Aug 2nd in San Francisco,and i don't see any problems with my citizenship being granted, though being sworn in may take a couple of months after the interview. However because of the closeness to the expiration date of my green card could this raise a red flag with the DOJ

Good luck on your citizenship!

strummerenator
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Quick update to this thread. I was advised by an attorney today to wait until this hits 30 days, that will be in 13 days. If at that point, the DOJ hasn't lifted the delay, he will start to put pressure on them on my behalf should I choose to hire him to do so. I called the DOJ again this AM, only to be given the same reasoning behind the delay. "We are verifying your 1989 arrest did not involve domestic voilence", again even though they are very aware of this not resulting in any prosecution or conviction of any kind. I have an eerie feeling recent events such as the Colorado incident are not helping our cause. Emotions will rule, and the human emotions at the DOJ I'm sure are not on our side here unfortunately.

strummerenator
07-23-2012, 4:22 PM
Yet another twist, now after another lengthy discussion with another DOJ agent, and she was very nice, it appears they do not have the disposition on record after all. I obtained this information from both the clerk of the court in Florida as well as the FDLE and faxed what I received to the DOJ late this afternoon. We shall see what they do tomorrow, it in theory, should clear this up. We shall see? I will update the thread accordingly. Thanks again, what a nightmare. My fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time in 1989, but with 50 states and 50 different reporting systems, it is tough on all parties involved I imagine.

strummerenator
07-23-2012, 4:22 PM
Yet another twist, now after another lengthy discussion with another DOJ agent, and she was very nice, it appears they do not have the disposition on record after all. I obtained this information from both the clerk of the court in Florida as well as the FDLE and faxed what I received to the DOJ late this afternoon. We shall see what they do tomorrow, it in theory, should clear this up. We shall see? I will update the thread accordingly. Thanks again, what a nightmare. My fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time in 1989, but with 50 states and 50 different reporting systems, it is tough on all parties involved I imagine.

Left Coast Conservative
07-23-2012, 4:40 PM

I wasn't one of those people.

echo1
07-24-2012, 6:14 AM
So I have this "delay delivery" notice. Is there some time period where the transfer application becomes void? What about the fees already paid? PAX

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2012, 6:21 AM
No, the 30 days will start once the delay is lifted. However, please contact CGF. They are trying to track these needless delays.

intradubio
07-24-2012, 9:06 AM
So are these just delays or are they outright denials? If you have a COE do you think they will still go through this extra scrutiny? I have something in the dros waiting period right now and this thread has me worried. I guess I will know by Saturday...

At purchase time should you tell the store you have a COE? I thought I read somewhere that you could skip the background check if you have one. I did not mention it at this last purchase (ppt) because I didn't think it mattered.

strummerenator
07-24-2012, 9:50 AM
I have zero knowledge regarding the COE, but I'm sure the wealth of knowledge that gathers here can answer that for you, sorry. I believe this particular delay is based on my past and an unfortunate incident I had in 1989 in Florida, so you're more than likely fine. I just received a very nice call from the agent handling my case at DOJ and she let me know she has my documentation I faxed to her yesterday and upon her preliminary look, it looks good. She said she is swamped but promised to get to this today and hopefully I will be getting some good news. I will continue to update the thread. Thanks!

HowardW56
07-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Use this link....

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html

corcoraj2002
07-24-2012, 11:03 AM

This is risky. Your green card is an entry visa but you need to keep it current in order to be legally here. When you go to get sworn in, you hand over your GC and get the nice certification that says you are a citizen, I am not sure if your status and expired GC will cause you problems then. It should not with the gun purchase as they do not know if you have renewed as the new one is not valid till 2 days after your DROS is up.

I would contact a lawyer to ensure you do not f-up your citizenship.

strummerenator
07-24-2012, 8:26 PM
Update, SUCCESS! The DOJ updated my file today with the proper disposition and I received a call from my FFL that I can come down and take my purchase home. To be fair, once I actually got a DOJ employee who was honest with me, she not only communicated with me very well she also addressed the issue quickly once I faxed her proof from the courts in Florida. So I was quick to criticize, and to be fair I must be equally as quick to give praise to at least on DOJ agent. So all is well. Does anybody know once they correct this will this be permanent? Thanks!

Blacktail 8541
07-24-2012, 9:25 PM
I just went thru this, mine was released in 4 additional days.
I asked the analiyst if this would be a reacurring problem. She stated that my records have been updated and i would not have any further problems.

strummerenator
07-24-2012, 9:49 PM
Excellent. Thanks Blacktail and congrats to you as well!

CertPharmT15
09-24-2012, 9:31 PM
Has anyone recently been delayed? I received a call from the DoJ stating I was being delayed. This happened on the 7th day. I am working with them in sending all documentation I can find from a case which was Nolle Prossed. All charges dropped and I am still going through this. Ugh!!!

bubbapug1
09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Update, SUCCESS! The DOJ updated my file today with the proper disposition and I received a call from my FFL that I can come down and take my purchase home. To be fair, once I actually got a DOJ employee who was honest with me, she not only communicated with me very well she also addressed the issue quickly once I faxed her proof from the courts in Florida. So I was quick to criticize, and to be fair I must be equally as quick to give praise to at least on DOJ agent. So all is well. Does anybody know once they correct this will this be permanent? Thanks!

Too be fair....this should have never happened to begin with. Its just another road block to obtaining a firearm for someone legally eligable to own one. They should be polite, your paying their salary. I think they should all be unemployed.

metasys
01-18-2013, 3:11 PM
Just filled out the form and emailed brandon, was delayed today. Never been arrested in my life and was approved on a shotgun in november. Not sure what could have changed since then

Stensoltd
01-19-2013, 3:14 PM
I have been on Delay since early November for same reasons (need to provide proof of disposition). Costly, time consuming, and frustrating. Filed report on calgunsfoundation. Just thought I'd post here , Doj had same excuse, "varifying was not domestic abuse", of course it wasn't, charges were dropped. and they aren't taking phone calls at the doj office till the 28th? Wow, can't wait till they run health care.

tcrpe
01-19-2013, 3:21 PM
Wow, can't wait till they run health care.

Struck nail, squarely on head.

metasys
01-19-2013, 3:45 PM
Well I bought a shotgun in november and it went through fine. Not sure whats changed in a month and a half. I have never been arrested, havnt had a traffic ticket in 10 years, and have passed background checks as a contractor in govt facilities. Not sure what could be holding it up. I even filled in the optional social security number so that there would be no "Mistaken Identity"

mrdd
01-19-2013, 8:07 PM
Well I bought a shotgun in november and it went through fine. Not sure whats changed in a month and a half. I have never been arrested, havnt had a traffic ticket in 10 years, and have passed background checks as a contractor in govt facilities. Not sure what could be holding it up. I even filled in the optional social security number so that there would be no "Mistaken Identity"

Note that is on the federal form 4473. The state does not even see that. They just see the DL or ID number.

HunterSwift
02-17-2013, 7:55 AM
I purchased a AR15 and on the 9th day my ffl said I was put on delay. He gave me DOJ number and after multiple attempts of busy signal I finally reached someone who didnt ask for my info and just said I dont have your info in front of me but that I just had to wait. I asked how long usually and she said 4-6 weeks.