View Full Version : No arrest dispo = no gun?

05-15-2012, 5:46 PM
There was a story on KMJ this afternoon with Chris Daniel where DOJ/BOF is indefinitely delaying the DROS process if they can't find a disposition on an arrest record. Apparently this is a new rule that was put into place and became effective at the end of March.

A caller said that because he had an arrest on his record for a misdemeanor, which had happened >30 years ago, and because everything had been purged from the system, DOJ/BOF put a hold on his purchase. The purchaser is already in Law Enforcement, and has security clearances, so it wasn't a problem with his background.

He had to contact his Assemblyperson to help get everything straightened out.

If this is another underground regulation, then it needs to get sorrted out by the Steamroller before more people get caught up in this tangled web.

05-15-2012, 6:04 PM
So they purge the resolution of the arrest, but not the arrest? Might have been more to the story than the guy said.

I know when got my Texas CHL we were required to list all arrest and the disposition. I had been arrested back in 91 for an unpaid parking ticket. When I went to get the informatioit had all been purged from the system, so just to be safe I had the local EPPD run a arrest record search on me and it came up empty. They then provided me a certified letter stating I had no records on file.

Just to be sure and not risk getting my CHL I listed the arrest, explained the outcome and provided the certified document.

My point was that if they deleting the outcome of the arrest why would they keep the actual arrest record.

05-15-2012, 6:37 PM
My gf is struggling with a similat issue. She was arrested but then released because the substance tested negative but never removed the arrest from her juvenile record and the DOJ pulled it up as an arrest and no one, including courts and PD.

05-16-2012, 8:28 AM
This is DOJ BoF (or higher up?) trying to game things to show the 10 day waiting period is necessary and can't be reduced -
which is what our recent suit is all about [plus some pending legislation].