PDA

View Full Version : Solar Tactical AK Bullet Button vs. Raddlock AK Bullet Button

zombiescanlearn
05-15-2012, 5:35 PM
Does anyone have experience with both of these buttons? I am currently using the Solar Tactical on mine and it sucks. I litterally have to put my AK down and use two hands to remove the magazine. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to dump the Solar one and pick up a Raddlock.

Thanks.

MrPlink
05-15-2012, 6:16 PM
Solar is easier. Easiest there is actually.

Want it even easier? Go featureless

morfeeis
05-15-2012, 6:22 PM
Solar is easier. Easiest there is actually.

Want it even easier? Go featureless
and never look back, i have a BB on my 9mm hipoint carbine and if that gun wasn't so much fun to shoot i'd ditch it in a heart beat. I hate BB's.

weber_2
05-15-2012, 6:36 PM
The raddlock isn't any better. But since I only use my AK as a range toy I don't need to detach the mags quick. I thought of going featureless but just got a Socom II instead....no mods necessary.

Carsgunsandchics
05-15-2012, 6:39 PM
I had a raddlock on one of my AK's and a Solar on one of the others. I wound up switching out the raddlock for another Solar. It sounds like you need to trim down the mag lever a little unless your using Tapco mags. Tapco mags are a little bit thicker than any other mags in the locking area and need to be trimmed down vs the lever.

e36mike
05-15-2012, 7:34 PM
Probably going to sound stupid but based on ur description get arsenals. I don't have to put my arsenal down or upside down or anyway to get the mag out. I either grip it in a certain way and put the tool on then use my middle finger to push it and pull mag out or just hold by pistol grip and use tool with my left hand. People always seem to say its terrible and the worst but I change mags pretty quick.. :confused:

zombiescanlearn
05-16-2012, 7:30 AM
I had a raddlock on one of my AK's and a Solar on one of the others. I wound up switching out the raddlock for another Solar. It sounds like you need to trim down the mag lever a little unless your using Tapco mags. Tapco mags are a little bit thicker than any other mags in the locking area and need to be trimmed down vs the lever.

The mag release lever is really tight on my AK. I've tried everything to loosen it, but I think that's just the way it is. So, I'm stuck with it. If I was in another state and I could put an aftermarket lever on it, then I would have the leverage that would nullify the tight mag release. But being from CA, I have to put on a BB which just makes the release lever all the more tighter. I gave up on Tapco mags, I like the metal ones from Solar Tactical.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket mag release lever that is easier to manipulate?

NorCalK9.com
05-16-2012, 8:27 AM
You'll get use to it. But solar is the best n easiest there us.

gunsmithcats
05-16-2012, 8:35 AM
If it ain't dropping free with different metal mags, its the mag lever that might need a little shaving/dremeling where it contacts the magazines.

As noted, tapco mags take a little bit more pop to get them to fall out, but steels should be dropping freely. What kinda AK is it? If you're afraid of shaving the mag lever, go ahead and slightly mill down the tabs on the magazines themselves.

gunsmithcats
05-16-2012, 8:38 AM
And ditto on going featureless. I have a solar tactical kydex on my wasr-10 and its easier than **** to manipulate the rifle. I even ran it through a vickers ak operator course and I wasn't slowed down one bit.

The only bullet button I still have on is my draco pistol (if only there was a featureless way... sigh)

Uranium238
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I use a Black Tyde bullet button on my AK74 and ground down roofing nail to pop out the mag.

yuccales
05-16-2012, 1:03 PM
I think Solar is the easiest one out there. You can make your own tool that will increase leverage. I whipped this up pretty easy.

zombiescanlearn
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I think Solar is the easiest one out there. You can make your own tool that will increase leverage. I whipped this up pretty easy.

Is that legal?

zombiescanlearn
05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
If it ain't dropping free with different metal mags, its the mag lever that might need a little shaving/dremeling where it contacts the magazines.

As noted, tapco mags take a little bit more pop to get them to fall out, but steels should be dropping freely. What kinda AK is it? If you're afraid of shaving the mag lever, go ahead and slightly mill down the tabs on the magazines themselves.

But the contact point isn't the problem, it's the spring on the release, it's stiff.

RustyMacHine
05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Is that legal?

Yes it is... As long as it isn't attached to the rifle any other time other than releasing the magazine.

MrPlink
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes it is... As long as it isn't attached to the rifle any other time other than releasing the magazine.

bingo

yuccales
05-17-2012, 5:47 AM
Is that legal?

As others have posted, you bet! This tool is no different then using a bullet or ice pick or nail. The hole in it is just for a lanyard. I use one of those "key back" things on my belt.

zombiescanlearn
05-17-2012, 6:17 AM

Ok, how did you "whip it up"?

TacticalPlinker
05-17-2012, 6:59 AM

Anyway you could make a video on how that actually works?

I'm "in the same boat" as the OP. My mag release is extremely stiff but I noticed recently that it does loosen up once a magazine is installed. With the BB, I also have to use 2 hands and I'm forced to put the rifle down to remove a magazine. I actually use a punch because I've damaged bullets.

I also have the Solar Tactical BB, but at the moment I don't have it installed. Instead I have a Solar Tactical wrap around my pistol grip to help make my rifle "featureless" since I had the original stock refinished and put it back on. I'm not sure yet which will be more of a pain in the *** and which I will actually tolerate. I hate the both more than I could ever begin to describe.

That said, I've been meaning to try the "tool" Solar Tactical actually makes for their BB, but they never have them at the gun show and I can't be bothered to buy them online. Plus I'm not really convinced they work well or make it any easier. http://www.solartactical.com/AK47-RAPID-RELOAD-TOOL-114.htm

Oh, by the way, I've never used a RadLock, but I've handled AK's in person at local gun shops in the past with those installed, and believe me, the Solar Tactical BB is by far easier. The RadLock is bulky and even more stupid. I'm not sure if two hands is even enough to remove a magazine with the RadLock.

yuccales
05-17-2012, 7:15 AM
Ok, how did you "whip it up"?

Just some mild steel flat stock, 5/16" thick will do. I cut the slot 7/16" deep using a 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel.The width of the cut-off disc gives just the right amount of "slop" on the mag release. Overall length is 3". Can't remember where I saw it, but someone made one like this out of aluminum with a thumb hole instead of my lanyard hole.

lrj812
05-17-2012, 7:22 AM
I like other posters here say "go featureless!" After struggling with a BB on my SAIGA conversion I went with a grip wrap. The BB felt like I was opening a beer bottle with a phillips head screwdriver, ridiculous contraption for an even more ridiculous law.

It was a much easier adjustment to go with a custom grip wrap from monkeeboi. The Saiga shoots and handles just as accurately but I can now remove & replace magazines like a real gun. So much better.

If function is more important go featureless. If the look is more important I guess a cumbersome BB is your best option inside of KA.

TacticalPlinker
05-17-2012, 7:26 AM
Just some mild steel flat stock, 5/16" thick will do. I cut the slot 7/16" deep using a 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel.The width of the cut-off disc gives just the right amount of "slop" on the mag release. Overall length is 3". Can't remember where I saw it, but someone made one like this out of aluminum with a thumb hole instead of my lanyard hole.

As asked in my previous post in case you missed it...

Anyway you could make a video on how that actually works?

I'm very interested if it actually makes it easier/quicker to remove a magazine.

\\
On a side note, sorry to go off topic, but now I'm all fired up. I'm absolutely sick of the idiotic, Draconian, Communist laws we are being FORCED to put up with here in the occupied territory of Kalifornia. I'm sick of these traitor liberal politicians like "DeLeon" with their personal agendas and cannot be bothered to read the f'ing Constitution but will gladly instead use it for toilet paper. None of you deserve your job and you all need to be removed from office. :mad:
//

yuccales
05-17-2012, 7:34 AM
TacticalPlinker,
Me post a video? I'm so computer un-savvy the fact that I can post a picture is amazing!:D As for how I use it, I have it on a "key back" near my belt buckle. I slide it into the Solar and use my thumb to move the tool foward which hits the mag, then I "capture" the tool & the mag with my hand, and remove the mag as normal. I let go of the tool and it just retracks. It is a one handed mag change.

TacticalPlinker
05-17-2012, 9:43 AM
TacticalPlinker,
Me post a video? I'm so computer un-savvy the fact that I can post a picture is amazing!:D As for how I use it, I have it on a "key back" near my belt buckle. I slide it into the Solar and use my thumb to move the tool foward which hits the mag, then I "capture" the tool & the mag with my hand, and remove the mag as normal. I let go of the tool and it just retracks. It is a one handed mag change.

Understood. Was just hoping to get a better idea of how little effort it actually takes. But I might run over to Lowes then break out the Dremel and see what I can come up with.

zombiescanlearn
05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I like other posters here say "go featureless!" After struggling with a BB on my SAIGA conversion I went with a grip wrap. The BB felt like I was opening a beer bottle with a phillips head screwdriver, ridiculous contraption for an even more ridiculous law.

It was a much easier adjustment to go with a custom grip wrap from monkeeboi. The Saiga shoots and handles just as accurately but I can now remove & replace magazines like a real gun. So much better.

If function is more important go featureless. If the look is more important I guess a cumbersome BB is your best option inside of KA.

I don't get how you handle a featureless rifle. You can't wrap your thumb around the grip, right? It looks like you have to monkey paw it, so how manipulate your rifle?

So, if I go featureless, I won't need a bullet button? Then can I put one of those aftermarket thing on the mag release that extends it to give me better leverage?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this everyone.

lrj812
05-17-2012, 8:06 PM
I don't get how you handle a featureless rifle. You can't wrap your thumb around the grip, right? It looks like you have to monkey paw it, so how manipulate your rifle?

So, if I go featureless, I won't need a bullet button? Then can I put one of those aftermarket thing on the mag release that extends it to give me better leverage?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this everyone.

I'm not sure what you mean by manipulate your rifle. It aims shoots and handles like a rifle. If anything, a BB makes you manipulate your rifle in ways it wasn't designed.
Featureless rifles do not require BB's. I don't know what aftermarket thing your referring to, but it sounds like it might be unnecessary.

For me it's looks vs. function. The AK BB just feels wrong on my rifle. Happy it is gone.

TacticalPlinker
05-17-2012, 8:12 PM
Basically its exactly the same, only your thumb rests on the side of the receiver, not around the pistol grip.

And yes, without the BB being needed, you can install extended or modified magazine releases. I've been thinking of doing it on mine.

By the way, skip the EMA tactical mag release, I bought one and it's a good concept that doesn't require modifications, but it doesn't work well with ribbed AK mags or Tapco mags. Just FYI if that's one you're thinking about.

In the end, do what's more comfortable. Try 'em both. I have both the BB and grip wrap from Solar Tactical. I'll be testing which is more comfortable and easier to use, and if the wrap does give me any control issues, but I don't think it will since I still have 4 fingers on the grip.

MadRiverArms
05-17-2012, 8:42 PM
I use a Black Tyde bullet button on my AK74 and ground down roofing nail to pop out the mag.

That thing is either the old style Solar tactical AK mag lock or the knock-off that's available for less on Amazon ($9.99).

-MRA

DGD73
05-17-2012, 9:52 PM
Thanks for posting your pics, I've been trying to find something better to use as a bb tool and that looks like a good idea.

MrPlink
05-18-2012, 12:24 AM

just pretend you are practicing for a scenario where you have lost your thumb.

In addition to loosing your thumb your VFG, collapsing stock, flash hider, and flare launcher have all fallen off or broken as well along with your mag lock.

SJgunguy24
05-18-2012, 6:51 AM
Sounds like you need to loosen the long screw a little to free up the latch. That or you need to wedge something into the latch to loosen that up slightly.

zombiescanlearn
05-18-2012, 3:53 PM
just pretend you are practicing for a scenario where you have lost your thumb.

In addition to loosing your thumb your VFG, collapsing stock, flash hider, and flare launcher have all fallen off or broken as well along with your mag lock.

:rofl2:

zombiescanlearn
05-18-2012, 3:54 PM
Basically its exactly the same, only your thumb rests on the side of the receiver, not around the pistol grip.

And yes, without the BB being needed, you can install extended or modified magazine releases. I've been thinking of doing it on mine.

By the way, skip the EMA tactical mag release, I bought one and it's a good concept that doesn't require modifications, but it doesn't work well with ribbed AK mags or Tapco mags. Just FYI if that's one you're thinking about.

In the end, do what's more comfortable. Try 'em both. I have both the BB and grip wrap from Solar Tactical. I'll be testing which is more comfortable and easier to use, and if the wrap does give me any control issues, but I don't think it will since I still have 4 fingers on the grip.

Ok. You guys talked me into it. I'm going to try the featureless route. Will report back later.

WTSGDYBBR
05-18-2012, 3:58 PM
This is a no brainier why limit your self to 10rnd mags ? Buy one of munkeeboi grip raps .

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=18113

Much better made then anything sold online. All my riffle have them and there great.

AngelZ3R0
05-18-2012, 4:06 PM
Solar tactical with rapid release tool. I love mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvW6yNfI5HA

zombiescanlearn
05-18-2012, 4:10 PM
This is a no brainier why limit your self to 10rnd mags ? Buy one of munkeeboi grip raps .

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=18113

Much better made then anything sold online. All my riffle have them and there great.

We're still limited to a 10-round mag even if the rifle is featureless aren't we in CA?

MrPlink
05-18-2012, 5:15 PM
Nope, no magazine rd limit for use in featureless. 10rd limit is for fixed mags.

zombiescanlearn
05-18-2012, 5:50 PM
Solar tactical with rapid release tool. I love mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvW6yNfI5HA

Tried it, doesn't work with my AK.

zombiescanlearn
05-18-2012, 5:51 PM
Nope, no magazine rd limit for use in featureless. 10rd limit is for fixed mags.

Hmmm, this whole featureless thing is beginning to sound better.

MrPlink
05-18-2012, 5:58 PM
Hmmm, this whole featureless thing is beginning to sound better.

main thing is its going to feel odd at first. Stick with it, it will not take horribly long until you are used to it. If anything once you get used to not having a maglock, its hard to go back to featured.

zombiescanlearn
05-18-2012, 6:37 PM
main thing is its going to feel odd at first. Stick with it, it will not take horribly long until you are used to it. If anything once you get used to not having a maglock, its hard to go back to featured.

I'll let you know in a few weeks ;)