PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Law on Carring Guns in the Car

eightmd
05-15-2012, 3:45 PM
I hope this is the right forum to ask, because I'm a little unsure of the law.

I have an SUV so I don't have a trunk. When I take pistols and rifles to the range do just the pistols need to be locked up in a container or do the rifles also need to be locked up? I guess this changed this year because before they just needed to be in plain sight, as I remember.

Would trigger locks count for the rifles, if they need to be "locked up"?

cranemech
05-15-2012, 4:10 PM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Transporting
It is legal to transport your handgun to anyplace where it is legal to possess.
Penal Code provides an exemption for transporting a handgun concealed; typically one uses a completely enclosed locked container to transport an unloaded handgun. Trigger locks, cable locks and other devices are not useful to avoid violating the concealed weapon law.
Ammunition may be carried in that locked container, in magazines or speed loaders, so long as no ammunition is actually in the handgun.
The container may be carried anywhere in a vehicle; transport is not restricted to a trunk.
Aside from 'registered assault weapons', California requires only that long guns be unloaded when transported - no lock or case required. Federal law regarding school zones requires that long guns be in a locked container or a locking gun rack while passing through those 1000 foot zones.
Other than 'assault weapons', for vehicle transport there are no 'destination' or 'route' limits so long as it is legal to possess a firearm en route or at the destination

Hope this helps

VetteBill
05-16-2012, 4:04 AM
Quick question on RAW, Dose it need to be in a locked container or dose a locked trunk legal transport?

gunsmith
05-16-2012, 9:19 AM
1st question: Always car the guns you are carring.
2nd question: never dose a locked trunk.

VetteBill - you'll be safer legally speaking with the guns in a locked container, afaik a locked trunk is legal but school zones are all over the place and you'll be safer with it in a locked container.

Racer_X
05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
1st question: Always car the guns you are carring.

What?

2nd question: never dose a locked trunk.

What?

Decoligny
05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
What?

The Thread Title = Calif. Law on Carring Guns in the Car

What?

VetteBill's Question: Quick question on RAW, Dose it need to be in a locked container or dose a locked trunk legal transport?

VetteBill
05-16-2012, 1:13 PM
Ok, thanks. Just wanted to know what was legal

paul0660
05-16-2012, 1:16 PM
And people make fun of Ebonics.

orangeusa
05-16-2012, 1:20 PM
CalgunSpeak.

gunsmith
05-16-2012, 6:55 PM
The Thread Title = Calif. Law on Carring Guns in the Car

VetteBill's Question: Quick question on RAW, Dose it need to be in a locked container or dose a locked trunk legal transport?

LOL, thanks.

heavyrecoil
05-17-2012, 8:47 AM
open carring will lead to kasos!!!

Baconator
05-17-2012, 8:48 AM
open carring will lead to kasos!!!

Damn, almost got to post that. It's been so long.

glockman19
05-17-2012, 8:55 AM
Unloaded in a locked case...
ammo can be in the same locked case...
Mags and speed loaders can be loaded just not inserted into firearm.
Locked case can be anywhere in the vehicle.

Army
05-17-2012, 4:15 PM
Lately, I give spelling mistakes to cell phone use. Not all posts come from a computer with big easy to hit keys.

RAW's are transported in the same manner as handguns. Locked container. Smart would be to ignore the trunk option, and keep it always in the locked container. Smarter would be to have RAW paperwork in container to alleviate curiously ignorant LEO's.

All else is as glockman19 said ^^^.

bigcalidave
05-17-2012, 11:48 PM
RAWs are not like handguns. There are specific and very detailed rules to transporting a RAW. Please search for the details, just remember its a big pain in the butt and always makes me nervous bringing one out to shoot. Ugh.