PDA

View Full Version : new shotgun?

berettabattler
05-15-2012, 3:41 PM
hi chaps..

I'm in the market for an new shotgun..

but I have an few questions.. I been looking at the Benelli M4, Mossberg 930spx and FN SLP..

my main purpose of it will be home defense.. I want an reliable shotgun that can do skeet also..

If I do buy the FN, I can use the money saved from not buying the Benelli and spend it on ammo and accessories.

Out of the 3, which one would you suggest?

thanks.

Bigbuckool
05-15-2012, 3:45 PM
Mossy 930 SPX (but I'm biased 'cause I just picked mine up today)

shellslinger
05-15-2012, 3:59 PM
If saving money is the name of the game, then Mossberg 930 would be a good choice. It can cycle pretty much most type of ammunition and wont hurt the wallet. Lots of barrel options out for the 930 as well.

.300 Weatherby Mag
05-15-2012, 4:07 PM
Hard to beat one of the entry level Berettas... Here's my 3901... Although this gun is now discontinued you can get essentially the same gun with a slightly different valve setup called the A300...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/0904110827a.jpg

hayaku
05-15-2012, 4:10 PM
mossberg 930 spx is not in the same class as those other two. the jm pro series is closer in spec.

benelli m2/m4, remington versamax, fnh slp, mossberg 930 jm pro would be a better comparison imo

acorn
05-15-2012, 8:09 PM
No offence, but I just don't understand the HD/sporting gun combo mentality here. I know guns are expensive, I get it, but you need different tools for different jobs. Get a decent sporting gun for starters, you can still defend your home with this. Later when you can afford it get yourself a dedicated HD gun.

Mana4real
05-15-2012, 8:33 PM
No offence, but I just don't understand the HD/sporting gun combo mentality here. I know guns are expensive, I get it, but you need different tools for different jobs. Get a decent sporting gun for starters, you can still defend your home with this. Later when you can afford it get yourself a dedicated HD gun.

I agree. I prefer a hand gun for HD though. It's easier to move around the home with it.

Bigbuckool
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
True on the combo gun acorn, my spx is the tactical with pg. Out of the box and a quick clean I put 50 rounds through it of slug, buck, target and bird shot today without a hitch. I wasn't ready to lay down the cash for the high end. I really think the Moss is a nice blend of function and frugality.

temilotzin21
05-15-2012, 10:58 PM
SPX all the way!

Bert Gamble
05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about the M4, but I haven't shot the others.

I think the M4 makes you better, at least according to a friend who has been shooting shotguns for a long time. He says that with the M4, I am better than he is with his gun, and I am brand new to shooting long guns. This was evedinced by my shooting DG at Front Sight and he only got Graduate.

There was only 3 DGs in my class and 2 of them were M4s. The guy without the M4 was just awesome. The instructors said that the people with M4s are normally the ones who DG.