PDA

View Full Version : SFGate Mommy Files-Lego Weapons

YubaRiver
05-15-2012, 2:37 PM
"While the LEGO guns only shoot plastic bricks they are strikingly realistic to warfare weapons—and this makes Jon Trew, a father of two who lives in the UK, uncomfortable. “This is very sad!” he says. “I’m not a pacifist, or a utopian hippie but I’ve always loved the way that Lego bricks never made very convincing guns and just by it’s very form, channeled children into being constructive, imaginative and creative rather than aggressive and confrontational."http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/files/2012/05/CM-Capture-1-600x338.png

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/05/15/is-new-book-on-making-lego-firearms-harmless-or-scary/?tsp=1

FastFinger
05-15-2012, 2:53 PM
My sis-in-law tried to keep my nephew from being exposed to guns - no gun TV, toys. books etc. She was a bit surprised when at the age of 4 he started building guns with Legos.

Despite his late start he's since shot in air gun competition and has some target time on my 1022, AR & AK.

Kid might turn out Okay yet.

BlindRacer
05-15-2012, 2:53 PM
Well Jon Trew, your wanton disregard for a God given right, protected by a constitution in which you do not even reside makes me uncomfortable.

Do the world a favor, and take your kids on vacation in the states, and have some good wholesome fun plinking some 22's in the woods/desert/whatever. And maybe your world view may start to resemble that of a human instead of a sheep.

wurger
05-15-2012, 5:44 PM
That is a sweet Lego gun. I want one for my son.

I think I want one for myself.

Chosen_1
05-15-2012, 6:19 PM
My mom was like this as well, when I was little I would make a gun out of everything and anything (and still do). It pretty much has the opposite effect.

NoJoke
05-15-2012, 6:35 PM
Actually, I hate ALL the lego stuff now-a-days.
$49 boxes of preconceived - instruction dependent toys.
No imagination required.

I kinda agree with that eagle being a bit over the top and not much of an imaginary "ray gun" from the old school building blocks of yesterday.

Chaparral
05-15-2012, 6:59 PM
Agree with NoJoke.

I remember hearing my parents' pacifist friends bellyaching about how their kids held forks and spoons in a Weaver or Isoceles stance and pretended to shoot each other. Its human nature folks. Those of us who have that Y chromosome tend to like guns. More than a few with the XX genotype seem to like them as well..

robcoe
05-15-2012, 7:11 PM
No imagination required.

I kinda agree with that eagle being a bit over the top and not much of an imaginary "ray gun" from the old school building blocks of yesterday.

I dont remember the name of the toy(it was a similar idea to legos, but it was little blue hubs with 6 connection points that you connected varrying lengths of white beams to) but one of things I did was build a rifle out of it, I still have a bucket of those things somewhere in the basement of my parents place. Should probably dig them out at some point, they were a lot of fun.

But one of the nice things about it was there were no instructions, just roughly cubic hubs, rectangular beams, and some plates that fit in the gaps, they left it up to you from there.

mrdd
05-15-2012, 7:17 PM
That's not a firearm, it's a slingshot.

Intimid8tor
05-15-2012, 7:19 PM
I agree in the fact that Legos of today are not nearly as good as before. When we were kids you could build anything because it was all made up of blocks. No specialty pieces except for people.

As far as it being too realistic. I could care less. At 4 my kid would take a bite out of a cracker, hold it in his hand like a gun and go bang.

ArmyInfidel
05-15-2012, 7:20 PM
Ma'l
Jp

Lllk

Give me Liberty or give me death!

My build thread.... http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=64161

G60
05-15-2012, 7:47 PM
"this makes Jon Trew, a father of two who lives in the UK, uncomfortable. “This is very sad!”

Haven't been able to use this for a while:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/73310801/Bawwwww_by_Bawwplz.jpg

phamkl
05-15-2012, 8:26 PM
No imagination required.

This is totally off topic but as a previous practitioner of Lego engineering using a lot of specialized pieces, I think the best part of Legos is learning the little tricks they use to make those those fancy bits and then putting them to use in new, novel creations. My family was never able to purchase the ~50 dollar sets so all my 10-30 dollar sets added up to create some pretty impressive pieces. I was so proud of the last thing I built that I haven't taken it apart for over a decade now. It's a Mechwarrior. Mad Cat Mk II, if you're nerdy enough.

Erm.. point is.. don't write off modern Legos?

Either way, it doesn't matter what kind of toys there are, boys and sometimes girls will always create guns out of them. My sister used to make us play 'house' and it was never long before our miniature golf play set became long rifles for use in the defense against armed and rampaging buffalo during botched hunting expeditions (influences stem from Oregon Trails and Starship Troopers.)

The ONLY problem I see with Lego firearm-looking pieces is that it stunts the imagination. The most powerful weapon in my childhood arsenal was a basket that fired 100 gauge plasma shotgun shells (back then I didn't know that the smaller numbers made bigger shells.) If there is a warning in these realistic looking toys, it's that kids these days require less and less brain activity to have a good time. I fear for the literature of tomorrow, when kids no longer have to imagine their play world.

Although in retrospect, I don't know if I want my kids imagining bipedal aggressor buffalo... My cousin and I really thought we were going to die because my aunt had to take part of our fort away to reach some things.

truthseeker
05-15-2012, 8:41 PM
Wonder if they would take those at a gun buyback?

I could make a bunch of those out of my kids spare legos, paint it black and trade it in for money!!

gl0ckc0ma
05-15-2012, 8:50 PM
I am all for teaching my boys of responsible gun handling and the enjoyment of shooting, but the lego toy in OP post is a little too realistic looking and living in LA county with the itchy trigger LAPD, I am afraid he will get shot playing with it outside. Nothing wrong with the ray gun type toy guns like stated above, but this I feel will put my son in danger.

alfred1222
05-15-2012, 9:28 PM
Haven't been able to use this for a while:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/73310801/Bawwwww_by_Bawwplz.jpg

HAHAHA :rofl2:

CBruce
05-15-2012, 9:52 PM
"While the LEGO guns only shoot plastic bricks they are strikingly realistic to warfare weapons—and this makes Jon Trew, a father of two who lives in the UK, uncomfortable. “This is very sad!” he says. “I’m not a pacifist, or a utopian hippie but I’ve always loved the way that Lego bricks never made very convincing guns and just by it’s very form, channeled children into being constructive, imaginative and creative rather than aggressive and confrontational."http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/files/2012/05/CM-Capture-1-600x338.png

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/05/15/is-new-book-on-making-lego-firearms-harmless-or-scary/?tsp=1

Someone's missing the big picture if they can't see the amount of imagination and creativity required to make something that functions and looks like a real firearm out of goddamn LEGOs.

phamkl
05-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Well in my need to vent my elementary era nerdiness, I didn't read the full article. I think the article, to its credit, gives a really neat and concise opposing viewpoint:
Dr. Michael Thompson, author of It’s a Boy! Understanding Your Son’s Development from Birth to Age 18, understands this geeky male attraction to guns. “I get it. They are geeky LEGO guys,” Dr. Thompson says. “I have one. He’s [my son and] he’s in art school. There’s nothing he’d like more than building something from this book. He’d have a blast with it. My son is fascinated by the idea of guns. But my son would never hurt anyone. He’s never even punched someone.”

Dr. Thompson says that many parents just don’t get boys’ fascination with guns. “Moms are always asking me what they should do about their sons’ violent play,” he says. “I tell them, ‘Violence and aggression are intended to hurt. but play isn’t intended to hurt. Play is play.’”

Dr. Thompson adds that there’s no research showing that playing with toy guns can lead to aggression.

But playing with toy Nerf guns and Star Wars LEGO figurines holding lightsabers is one thing. The guns in this book are incredibly realistic. Shouldn’t parents be concerned? “They’re not realistic,” Dr. Thompson says. “They don’t shoot. These guns are related to the impulse to create, not the impulse to kill.”

This is all true, but U.K. father Jon Trew brings up another important point: Could these toy guns confuse children into thinking it’s OK to play with real guns? “Whatever side of the argument you are on, no one in their right mind would want encourage children to play with realistic models just in case they came across a real one and thought they could play with it in the same way,” Trew says.

Dr. Thompson has a solution for Trew’s concern. “Talk to your kids about guns,” he advises. “Toy guns provide a teaching opportunity to talk about why real guns aren’t toys and aren’t safe.” (emphasis added)

I also want to make the point that owning firearms aren't related to the impulse to kill either. This is all but empirical fact since we're not all dead. Considering the amount of gun ownership in this country, if all those people had the impulse to kill, we'd all have been killed long ago leaving a country full of people who then wouldn't have guns.

Aside from the fact that owning an AR-15 could be the result of a desire to build things, owning a firearm for most people stem from the want to just do something. It's really the same as biking, playing darts, playing billiards, etc. If anything is a result of aggressive impulses, it's playing competitive sports. Like croquet. Or something even more dangerous. Like polo.

gunnerstuff
05-16-2012, 8:21 AM
My parent gave my brother and I toy M16s to chase each other around with. Tough little things, I miss them.

bohoki
05-16-2012, 8:30 AM
simple we ban black lego

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/lego_ak_from_pickabrick_bins_by_bohoki-d4lw0y4.jpg

this took me about 5 minutes at pick a brick in sac

Paper Boy
05-16-2012, 8:30 AM
My sis-in-law tried to keep my nephew from being exposed to guns - no gun TV, toys. books etc. She was a bit surprised when at the age of 4 he started building guns with Legos.

My parents were teh same way for a while. It back fired horribly on them :43:

No imagination required.

I miss the massive sets I used to get as a kid...

Just looked online 776 pieces are 80 bucks at target now :( and its Harry potter...

O well Guess I will just keep building AR's

Iknownot
05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I agree in the fact that Legos of today are not nearly as good as before. When we were kids you could build anything because it was all made up of blocks. No specialty pieces except for people.

As far as it being too realistic. I could care less. At 4 my kid would take a bite out of a cracker, hold it in his hand like a gun and go bang.

"Grumble Grumble, back in my day... and get off my LAWN!!!"

I kept all my legos from when I was a kid (the coolest set of which we could get was the generic "space" lego) and recently gave them all to my kids.

My kids mixed all the pieces in with the sets they have been getting.

My kids build the pre-planned lego set, which usually gets destroyed, reformed, rebuilt into some monstrosity of a frankenstien set, which eventually gets taken apart and used to build stuff completely out of their imaginations.

The stuff they build tends to be way cooler than the pre-planned sets.

Just like back in the day when I had mostly regular blocks.

The sets out now are SO MUCH BETTER than the stuff I had. The individual pieces are more varied, more specialized, more interesting and let you do really really interesting stuff in your own builds.

There is nothing to complain about when it comes to Modern Lego, if you really like building stuff with it. It is better now.

njineermike
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
When I was a kid you could build anything you wanted out of Legos. As long as it was square.

Chaparral
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
The expert builder sets of the late 70s to early 80s rock! Still have all mine.

Uxi
05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
As a kid, I usually ignored lego kit instructions and made my own spaceships and planes and what not. That DE is pretty damned cool.

Curley Red
05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
your wanton disregard for a God given right

I have always wondered about this statement which has been said by lots of people so this is not an attack on you BlindRacer or anyone else. But God did not give us any rights, those rights were given to us by man, so why does so many keep saying that somethings are a God given right when he had nothing to do with it.

stix213
05-16-2012, 11:28 AM
No imagination required.

Lego's have almost always included instructions for making something specific. Be it a pirate ship, a Lego island, a fire truck, etc. The cool thing about Lego's though is you're under no obligation to make what the kit suggests. Make whatever you want, combine the pieces from one kit with others to allow for more ideas, etc.

Dark Paladin
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Many of my childhood hours were engulfed by my lego sets. . . creations ranged from a aircraft carrier (with a full CAG complement) to a heavily modified atmospheric reentry-capable space cruiser to a massive military fortress with a garrison of a battalion of troopers, twin batteries of LT-MOB-25 Long Toms, and a functional mech bay servicing a RFL-3N Rifleman and a SHD-2H Shadow Hawk.

I miss those days. . . :D

The Electrician
05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
No imagination required.

Thats almost a mega pack of 9mm!!!

jwkincal
05-16-2012, 1:03 PM
Lego's have almost always included instructions for making something specific. Be it a pirate ship, a Lego island, a fire truck, etc. The cool thing about Lego's though is you're under no obligation to make what the kit suggests. Make whatever you want, combine the pieces from one kit with others to allow for more ideas, etc.

You should see my daughters play with Harry Potter and Hermione Grainger driving the AT-ST against the pirates...

Doheny
05-16-2012, 2:54 PM
I am all for teaching my boys of responsible gun handling and the enjoyment of shooting, but the lego toy in OP post is a little too realistic looking...

This.

Point that at a cop in the heat of the moment and I think would end very badly.

dantodd
05-16-2012, 3:04 PM
This.

Point that at a cop in the heat of the moment and I think would end very badly.

Same can be said for a hose nozzle. Or, actually on topic, a blocky looking gun made out of square black legos.

dantodd
05-16-2012, 3:08 PM
I have always wondered about this statement which has been said by lots of people so this is not an attack on you BlindRacer or anyone else. But God did not give us any rights, those rights were given to us by man, so why does so many keep saying that somethings are a God given right when he had nothing to do with it.

Whether god given or natural the right to defend oneself against attack predates civilization and even humanity. Do the chimpanzees give other chimps the "right" to defend itself when attacked? Of course not, that is ridiculous. Similarly other people do not "give" me the right to defend myself in the event I am attacked. However; when we choose to live in a social structure we give up many of our rights and abdicate them to the government. Some of us would like fewer of those rights abdicated and some would like more of them given to the government. But make no mistake you do not defend yourself because other men permit it, you do so because it is in your nature and has been since long before there were any governments.

We now return you to the topic at hand.

Doheny
05-16-2012, 3:11 PM
Same can be said for a hose nozzle. Or, actually on topic, a blocky looking gun made out of square black legos.

Yup. And the pointer would still be dead. But with something that looks vaguely like a gun, or could be confused with one, especially in the heat of the moment or in the dark, it causes people to say "yeah, that looks like a gun, I can see why he got shot."

dantodd
05-16-2012, 3:17 PM
Yup. And the pointer would still be dead. But with something that looks vaguely like a gun, or could be confused with one, especially in the heat of the moment or in the dark, it causes people to say "yeah, that looks like a gun, I can see why he got shot."

Exactly. The lesson is don't do stupid things in the presence of armed people. As much as we'd all like to think that every police officer is as level-headed and well trained as those here on CGN we know that isn't true.

njineermike
05-16-2012, 3:19 PM

Yeah, because only people with objects that resemble weapons in their hands get shot by police..... :rolleyes:

Sutcliffe
05-16-2012, 3:21 PM
Legos are for mimicking other things in society. Would Mr. Trew be more comfortable with a french tickler? A water bong? How about a giant vagina? Ohhh, I'm scared and offended by what people do with legos.
His kids will grow up to be even bigger douchebags than he. That's quite something he should be proud of.

MASTERLAB
05-16-2012, 3:41 PM
When I was young I would spend hours making and playing with Lego guns

good times, man I miss those days

Of course now I am a mechanical engineering student and will soon learn how to design and make things for real ;)

stix213
05-16-2012, 4:07 PM
You should see my daughters play with Harry Potter and Hermione Grainger driving the AT-ST against the pirates...

Oh man, when I was a kid I remember having soldiers vs pirates lego battles with my brother. We'd act like the cannons could do actual damage and rip that part of the ship off. In the end we'd have to figure out how to build them up again. Tons of fun :D

repubconserv
05-16-2012, 4:28 PM
I thank God that my parents were not scared of guns. I had a lot of toy/airsoft/bb/pellet guns growing up, and got to shoot real guns with my family. I think I turned out okay....

Well, I did convince my mom to buy herself a gun :43:

HBrebel
05-16-2012, 4:33 PM
We could not even afford Lego toys but my dad used to take us into his garage and show us how to make toy guns out of wood. They were just plywood cutouts but we had 1911s, tommy guns, M16s, big revolvers etc. Teaching kids to fear the gun is just bad parenting.

Neil McCauley
05-16-2012, 5:00 PM
When does the lego mini-gun come out?

Wherryj
05-16-2012, 5:57 PM
That is a sweet Lego gun. I want one for my son.

I think I want one for myself.

I don't want one...I don't have enough room after having purchased an M-4, MP5 and a couple of 1911 airsofts for my sons.