PDA

View Full Version : Injured vetís guns stolen by D.C.

die2surf
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Didn't see it anywhere (but might be a dupe)
Emily Miller: Injured vetís guns stolen by D.C.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/may/14/miller-injured-vets-guns-stolen-dc/

RKV
05-15-2012, 10:49 AM
:43:

mud99
05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Great story by the washington times, not full of anti-gun garbage.

lilro
05-15-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm shocked at this line:

It is illegal to possess a firearm anywhere in D.C. other than the home.

That's FUD right? How could you purchase a firearm? How could you go to a range? Is the 2nd amendment really completely non-existant in DC?

kcbrown
05-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm shocked at this line:

That's FUD right? How could you purchase a firearm? How could you go to a range? Is the 2nd amendment really completely non-existant in DC?

Yes, the 2nd Amendment really is completely nonexistent in DC. And in Chicago.

And now you can see why Heller and McDonald are primarily foundational pieces to be built upon, and not by themselves worth a whole lot, and that we have a long way to go before we have secured 2nd Amendment rights that are worth anything.

More importantly, you can now see how getting court rulings is not, in and of itself, going to change things substantially until law enforcement officers and government agents who violate people's civil rights are actually thrown in jail for it. And I don't think that's going to happen in any substantive way, because the courts are incredibly lenient on government officials and, especially, law enforcement officers, even in the face of the most egregious violations of a person's rights. If you don't believe me, then ask yourself why nobody is ever prosecuted for, much less convicted of, violating 18 USC 242.

Uxi
05-15-2012, 2:31 PM
Hell we barely have half of the 2nd Amendment in California (mostly have keep with a bunch of arbitrary restrictions, but effectively no bear at all for the vast majority of the population in the most populous counties - yeah lawsuits are in progress).

Congress should set the smackdown on DC, though. The Republicans alone could make the rules for the District, can't they?

AS it is, I'm in favor of retrocession of everything outside of the Capitol, monuments, Mall, etc back to Maryland.