PDA

View Full Version : Is any of the steel cased ammo less crappy than the rest?

ptgarcia
05-15-2012, 8:58 AM
I need some cheap .223/5.56 ammo to get me through the rest of the year so I'm going to try some of the non-corrosive steal cased. Before I order is there one that stands out among the others? I know they are all basically crap but I'd like to get the most polished turd among them, if you will. I'm just going to plink with the cheap stuff so I don't have to completely stop shooting for the rest of the year.

Thanks!

zfields
05-15-2012, 9:05 AM
Golden tiger is the best ( I think ) for 762x39, not sure if they make 223. If they do, thats the route I would go.

NorCalK9.com
05-15-2012, 9:08 AM
lmao.
Steel cased ammo aint crap!
The rifle that cant shoot steel is crap.
Wpa 62gr hp is good stuff and has killed a truckload of coyotes out here.

e36mike
05-15-2012, 9:35 AM
lmao.
Steel cased ammo aint crap!
The rifle that cant shoot steel is crap.
amen. Plus if it does wear the gun quicker like some say the money saved in the amount of time it would take would buy you more guns or parts :43:

BajaJames83
05-15-2012, 9:43 AM
Horandy makes steel match ammo.

ExtremeX
05-15-2012, 9:49 AM
The only steel cased stuff ive used is the Wolf WPA... had pretty good luck with it too.

zfields
05-15-2012, 9:51 AM
Horandy makes steel match ammo.

that stuff is more expensive then cheap brass cased though.

b.faust
05-15-2012, 9:52 AM
that stuff is more expensive then cheap brass cased though.

I got 500 rounds of it for $125 at the last gun show. Not as cheap as wolf, but pretty darn cheap for 75 grain match.

BajaJames83
05-15-2012, 9:57 AM
He didn't put a requirement on price. He just said which is "less crappy"

chicoredneck
05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Hornady offers steel cased ammo. I do not have any hands on experience with it, but hornady ammo is usually of high quality.

MarkL
05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Always had excellent luck with the Brown and Silver Bear stuff.

AeroEngi
05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Always had excellent luck with the Brown and Silver Bear stuff.

Does that stuff have steel core? I only ask because I want to be able to shoot it at a shooting range. Can it be used at a shooting range?

zfields
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Does that stuff have steel core? I only ask because I want to be able to shoot it at a shooting range. Can it be used at a shooting range?

lead core, "steel" jacket.

adrenalinejunkie
05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

I think they have a bi-metal jacket like wolf, which is a no go at ranges :/ I found that out the hard way after shooting 30 of the 300 rounds of wolf I brought to the range the first time shooting my AR

ICONIC
05-15-2012, 10:39 AM
most of the steel cased ammo is a no go for ranges. I think Hornady is coming out with some steel cased ammo for their match grade stuff, But i have not had a chance to shoot it.

BLM land is probably one of the few places you can shoot the steel stuff, but I could be wrong.

adrenalinejunkie
05-15-2012, 10:41 AM
most of the steel cased ammo is a no go for ranges. I think Hornady is coming out with some steel cased ammo for their match grade stuff, But i have not had a chance to shoot it.

BLM land is probably one of the few places you can shoot the steel stuff, but I could be wrong.

IIRC I think I heard that steel cased is a no go for BLM too because it can spark on rocks

llamatrnr
05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Herter's?

darqhelmet
05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Start reloading. I pay less than the cheapest steal cased ammo per round. It gives me something firearm related to do when I can't make the range and I get to play with all kinds of different bullet weights. That and none of the ranges around here let you shoot bimetal rounds. Which is all the steel cased stuff I have seen.

zfields
05-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Herter's?

Herters 762.x39 is great, but their 223 I have heard lots of issues with it.

Just an FYI, Herters is actually repackaged Uly in 762x39, I believe its Tula in .223, could be wrong though.

roushstage2
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
He didn't put a requirement on price. He just said which is "less crappy"

I need some cheap .223/5.56 ammo...
I'm just going to plink with the cheap stuff ...

That being said, I've been going through TulAmmo like crazy. I don't have issues with the polymer coated cases like I started to with the lacquer coated ones (Brown Bear). I also clean my rifle after every outing, so the extra dirtiness of the steel round isn't an issue for me. $4.97 plus tax for 20 rounds at Wal-Mart. Comes out to something like $0.26 or $0.27/round after tax.

tonyxcom
05-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I got 500 rounds of it for $125 at the last gun show. Not as cheap as wolf, but pretty darn cheap for 75 grain match.

Correct. I am buying 75g Steel Match for cheaper that PMC at today's rates.

These are gun show prices (as of Feb or whenever the last show I attended was).

50rd 75g Steel Match (or Training Ammo) = $15.95 = 0.319 per round
20 Rounds PMC Bronze 55g = $6.99 = 0.3495 per round

jbush
05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
So comparing Tulammo, Brown Bear, Silver Bear or Wolf, how would you rate them???

roushstage2
05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
=
50rd 75g Steel Match (or Training Ammo) = $15.95 = 0.319 per round

That is still a pretty good price. I sure wouldn't mind getting some heavier ammo (match even) for less than your basic 55g brass round is.

b.faust
05-15-2012, 11:17 AM
That is still a pretty good price. I sure wouldn't mind getting some heavier ammo (match even) for less than your basic 55g brass round is.

It's pretty nice stuff. I used to poo-poo steel case till I tried out.
Runs great and is constantly accurate (out of the 200 i've used).

I like it for when I'm not at a formal range or a class. I don't have to worry about looking for/loosing my precious reloading brass.

Dhena81
05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I bought 3k rounds of the 75 grain Hornady Tap training ammo at the last gun show because it was cheaper than PMC or XM193. I'll be using it only for classes since I don't pick up my brass after a day of training it works out in the end. It works fine there is nothing wrong with a steel case cartridge. In fact I believe Hornady buys their cartridge cases from wolf.

The problem people tend to have with "steel ammo" is in a DI gun gas port diameter, action spring strength, reciprocating mass among other things matter more than a piston that and people are idiots and invest their egos into their weapon. So what works for some may not work for others and what doesn't work for others may work for people that know how to make their correctly built AR work with underpowered wolf and hot military surplus.

tonyxcom
05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I should add that I have never had any failures of any kind with the Steel Match either. I have shot over 500 rounds of it. Steel Match (formally known as Training Ammo) is loaded just like their TAP products. In fact they say the only difference is the steel case.

As with any steel case ammo, there is a concern that because the steel case doesn't stay expanded to fill the chamber there can be some carbon build up from blow back that can cause brass cases (which do stay expanded) to get stuck.

I always pass a bore snake with a good CLP 2-3 times when I get home.

I have on several occasions shot both steel and brass back and forth many times without any problems though.

TZL
05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
I love silver bear 62gr hp...no problem with wolf either

Most steel ammo is polymer coated now, so no lacquer related problems

llamatrnr
05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Herters 762.x39 is great, but their 223 I have heard lots of issues with it.

Just an FYI, Herters is actually repackaged Uly in 762x39, I believe its Tula in .223, could be wrong though.

Thanks; I ran a case of .45 acp through my Glocks with zero issues, fwiw.

Agent Tikki
05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Had some good experience with MFS 62 soft point .223 and 55gr fmj .223, had a like 4? i think failure to fire in the 3k rounds that I bought.

pmoradi2002
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I like TulAmmo, however the prices have gone up.

A few months ago I purchased 1000 rounds for $200 shipped
You can't find this kind of deal anymore

You can now get 1000 rounds of reman brass for about $315 shipped

Atekhed
05-15-2012, 1:16 PM
One caveat I would put out there for AR based rifles is don't buy a whole case at first. Buy 100-200 rounds first and see if your rifle will feed it without issue. Some brands may feed/fire fine while others may be nothing but problematic.

AK's on the other hand love steel cased ammo. So do Glocks.

Raptor1Ronin
05-15-2012, 1:37 PM
I have some old Wolf with the Lacquer finish thats pretty crappy you want to buy it off me :)

Ride5C2
05-15-2012, 2:01 PM
I use Silver Bear almost exclusively for .223. It works great in my AR (DI) and it's been more accurate than lake city 5.56 in my 16inch mid length by about .5 moa at 100 yards.

thomashoward
05-15-2012, 2:05 PM
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.223_Remington_5.56x45mm
http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=113&grains=62&mfg=&keywords=&sortby=cpr

Don the savage
05-15-2012, 4:41 PM

$250 for 1000 rounds of hornady steel match???? I go to the wrong gun shows.

hollowpoint67
05-15-2012, 4:47 PM
I am a steel case user, have no problems.

A.) its cheaper
B.) I dont reload
C.) I dont have to worry about scumbags taking my casings when im not looking

as stated above Herters = Repackaged Tula

Wolf
Tula/Herters
Barnaul Factory = Silver Bear, Brown Bear, MFS

IMHO Silver Bear and MFS are the best steel case you can get.

Lugiahua
05-15-2012, 5:51 PM
IIRC I think I heard that steel cased is a no go for BLM too because it can spark on rocks

How is steel case making spark on rocks? or you are talking about "steel core"
the two are different.

I use Brown and Silver Bear, so far so good in my SU-16.
There is a Golden Bear 223, supposedly the best steel from Russia, but never fired it myself.

MrPlink
05-15-2012, 6:11 PM
some guns are more sissy than others and cant run steel case... :p

wsmc27
05-15-2012, 6:14 PM

I think they have a bi-metal jacket like wolf, which is a no go at ranges :/ I found that out the hard way after shooting 30 of the 300 rounds of wolf I brought to the range the first time shooting my AR

:confused: Depends on the range guys...

Have run approx 1k of steel-cased (not so much core but it's ok) at Prado with TASC this year so far http://www.stcrispian.com/Classes.html "Steel core is OK at Prado" shown on class info page.

iirc South Bay R&G doesn't police your ammo. otoh, Iron Sights (O'side) absolutly won't allow anything magnetic at their indoor range (and will check your ammo). Burro, when we were there a lot in 2010, varied depending on the season and brush conditions.

ymmv - CHECK WITH THE RANGE YOU WANT TO SHOOT AT. :)

afa steel-cased we have run Tula, Herters, Silver Bear and Brown Bear on and off for a few years in one of the AR's and no major issues. Probably 4 or 5 light-strike/primer issues over a few thousand rounds and a dozen classes, and iirc 2 or 3 fte during some classes. Good practice imo.

:)

wsmc27
05-15-2012, 6:20 PM
oh ya, got some MFS the other day from PSA, will try that soon and hopefuly add another ammo that the AR's run a-ok.

Agreed with a earlier poster...try a box or two out before ordering 500 or 1000rds.

:)

OIF0708
05-15-2012, 6:29 PM
Put 500 rounds of silver bear and golden bear this weekend. It is all i have used in my M&P 15. Great price, good accuracy, what more do you need for plinking?
Best steel cased ammo IMHO

b.faust
05-15-2012, 10:07 PM
$250 for 1000 rounds of hornady steel match???? I go to the wrong gun shows.

No kidding. It was at cow palace in Feb. I had to look about 3 times to make sure I was reading it right.

I mostly reload now, but at that price I couldn't say no.

MrPlink
05-15-2012, 11:00 PM
btw has anybody mentioned Hornaday in this thread?

They make steel cased plinking ammo and it is good stuff! Reasonably priced too. I got 1000rds for about 220 or so at a gun show just 3 months back

b.faust
05-15-2012, 11:44 PM
btw has anybody mentioned Hornaday in this thread?

They make steel cased plinking ammo and it is good stuff! Reasonably priced too. I got 1000rds for about 220 or so at a gun show just 3 months back

Yeah me, right above this post. ;)

No kidding though, great price and pretty awesome ammo.

MrPlink
05-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Yeah me, right above this post. ;)

No kidding though, great price and pretty awesome ammo.

DOH' I need to read more :o

and I may have been standing next to you at the cow palace during said transaction. I was about to pick up some PMC and I heard somebody shout out, "Is that Hornaday only $2XX?"

sharxbyte
05-16-2012, 7:40 AM
s long as it's not lacquer (and even then people have guns that eat it up) it really depends what your rifle likes... get a few different bosses and try it out.

ptgarcia
05-16-2012, 8:17 AM
Well I placed an order yesterday. My brother and I are splitting a 500-rd case of Wolf to try out. We have 3 ARs between us so I expect they should all find their way down range.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ziggy91
05-16-2012, 9:21 AM
Anybody have experience with Tula or the Brown/Silver Bear stuff?
Specifically .308?

r1ghtw1ng
05-16-2012, 9:31 AM
I've shot: Tula (white box), Wolf (black box), WPA (brown box), MFS (zinc) through my AR, and it eats it up fine. Wolf (black box) seems to be the most dirty, but no functional issues to complain about.

roushstage2
05-16-2012, 6:03 PM
Anybody have experience with Tula or the Brown/Silver Bear stuff?
Specifically .308?
Brown Bear .308 made the lever on my Model 99 stick badly after shooting less than a box. That damn lacquer. TulAmmo is poly coated and doesn't have that problem, along with Silver Bear being Zinc coated steel which should also be fine.

Full Clip
05-16-2012, 6:05 PM
Hornady offers steel cased ammo. I do not have any hands on experience with it, but hornady ammo is usually of high quality.

This, I've used their training ammo in .223 and it worked fine.
I believe their x39 V-Max and Z-Max ammo is all steel case as well.

sharxbyte
05-17-2012, 6:56 AM
I was shooting Tula in my 7.62x39 AR, and it fed almost flawlessly. Had only 1%ftf the first time through and they all fired the second time. Reasonably accurate too.

adrenalinejunkie
05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Shot 50 blazer .40's through my FNP .40 yesterday and they were fine. Had 2 failure to feeds, but i'm chalking this up to the gun still being broken in. I've shot wolf through my AR with no problems as well.

PRSTIFJ
05-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Shot 50 blazer .40's through my FNP .40 yesterday and they were fine. Had 2 failure to feeds, but i'm chalking this up to the gun still being broken in. I've shot wolf through my AR with no problems as well.

Blazer is Aluminum not Steel.

adrenalinejunkie
05-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Oh my bad I thought it was steel. Is it berdan or boxer primed?

wsmc27
05-17-2012, 1:14 PM

Oh my bad I thought it was steel. Is it berdan or boxer primed?

:confused:

Blazer has both alu and brass cased .40

The brass uses boxer-type primers. Dunno about the alu stuff...

http://www.blazer-ammo.com/

RAAK_FJ
05-21-2012, 5:19 PM
I use Silver Bear almost exclusively for .223. It works great in my AR (DI) and it's been more accurate than lake city 5.56 in my 16inch mid length by about .5 moa at 100 yards.

IMHO Silver Bear and MFS are the best steel case you can get.

That being said, I've been going through TulAmmo like crazy. I don't have issues with the polymer coated cases like I started to with the lacquer coated ones (Brown Bear).

As I have not used these and prices wise they look very appealing. Besides the normal differences in the 55gr versus 62gr in either Tula or Silver Bear is one caliber better than the other (same brand) in regards to less likely to have issues? Meaning is the 62gr less prone to have issues in the TULA & Silver Bear or is the 55gr GTG as well?

adrenalinejunkie
05-21-2012, 7:55 PM

As I have not used these and prices wise they look very appealing. Besides the normal differences in the 55gr versus 62gr in either Tula or Silver Bear is one caliber better than the other (same brand) in regards to less likely to have issues? Meaning is the 62gr less prone to have issues in the TULA & Silver Bear or is the 55gr GTG as well?

It depends on the range you want, as well as the twist rate of your barrel. The smaller the twist rate, the better the larger grain bullets preform. I've never heard of the issues being dependent on the bullet grain as far as a FTF of any sort.

RAAK_FJ
05-22-2012, 6:20 PM
thank for the info... As I have no experience with Tula or Silver Bear. I wasn't sure if Tula or Silver Bear's 55gr had the same quality as the 62gr.

adrenalinejunkie
05-22-2012, 7:20 PM
thank for the info... As I have no experience with Tula or Silver Bear. I wasn't sure if Tula or Silver Bear's 55gr had the same quality as the 62gr.

No problem. I have no experience shooting those either, just with wolf. As far as i'd assume though, it's the same manufacturing process with the same assembly process, just with more metal for the 62gn bullet. I don't see how quality would differ between bullet weights within the same mfr. I think you should be fine with either one depending on what you want to get out of it.