PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG or 338

Paper Boy
05-15-2012, 7:06 AM
I have been going back and forth on this for a year as I gather funds for a long range rifle.

The 338 Lapua would be nice because I can actually shoot it in CA and I could get the dies and reload for it.

The 50 BMG AR15 upper I would only be able to shoot a few times a year when I visit friends in AZ – that would save me money until I can reload for it and move to a state where I could use it more.

So I guess my question is, do I really lose out on anything by going with the 338 over the 50?

My normal ranges would be out to about 700 yards. In AZ I could get to a few places that would have clear lines maybe 1500 – 2000 yards if I planned them out.

Thoughts?

joefreas
05-15-2012, 7:13 AM
I would either go .338 or 50DTC so you can use it in CA. State Arms makes a beautiful 50DTC rifle for under 3K that is very accurate. I personally like the 50DTC round better than the 338 because it uses all BMG components. I would also recommend checking out the FCSA. They are dedicated to the 50BMG/DTC round and have tons of info for loading and shooting long range.

BTW; What is your budget? Do you reload already?

I would estimate about $3K for the State Arms rifle.
Minimum scope I would put would be SWFA SS @ $350 but a NF would be much better at about $2500
Reloading dies/equipment; probably about another $1-3K.

There are also ammo manufacturers of the DTC round in case you didn't want to load your own.

hawaii five-0
05-15-2012, 7:20 AM
They are both pretty awesome.I like the 50DTC because of the global availability of components.Another reason is the variety of projectiles available.When you are in Arizona,you can shoot AP,API,APIT,Tracer,Or incindiary projectiles for pennies(for the projectile)Not true with the .338.You wont find any surpluss .338 brass either....

Bhobbs
05-15-2012, 7:25 AM
.338 would be lighter and recoil less but shooting 700 yards is kind of a waste for .338 LM. I would look at something in 7mm WSM for those distances. Maybe .300 Win mag also. They would do great out to 700 yards and when you do get to open space, can hit 1500 yards as well.

mallard
05-15-2012, 7:39 AM
ya , .260 , 7mm or even 308 is a fine choice for 700y shooting. If you want to shoot alittle further, the 260 rem and 300 mag will reach out past 1200y fairly easily.

as for the BMG/DTC vs 338

the .50 cals have allot more energy , so bigger splashes downrange. The 50 also costs more. Allot more. Almost all the brass you can get your hands on is junk. You'll need a press that uses 50 cal dies. While its true you can shoot API or tracer with the 50, you'll also need a bullet sizer , which is just one more thing. As for match grade bullets, there is really only one choice , the 750 amax. Almost all the other borerider or banded bullets require a borerider throat.

i wouldn't buy that state arms gun. What do you have to take the bolt out everytime you want to chamber a round ? i don't see much of an action. I have a serbu in 50 DTC. What a POS. I regret buying it. I should have saved up and gotten and EDM. Im sure people like their Safety Harbor DTC's , but the bolts on those guns look like junk. You know the Ferret/Spyder upper seems pretty cool, but it costs as much as the serbu, and that is a complete rifle.

savage 10/110 BA 338 lapua mag is the path of least resistence. Sierra makes a 338 smk bullet, and i believe berger is making one as well. We aren't going to see any .510 smk's for awhile or perhaps never. Plus you can use your regular 7/8" reloading press , no need for the bigger one. Plus , the match grade dies for 338 lapua are allot cheaper then match dies for a 50 bmg.

so the 338 is the logical choice. The 50 does have the boom factor though.

Paper Boy
05-15-2012, 7:41 AM
I would also recommend checking out the FCSA. They are dedicated to the 50BMG/DTC round and have tons of info for loading and shooting long range.

Will take a look over there thanks

BTW; What is your budget? Do you reload already?
trying to stay around 2k - not counting optics those will come later, thats why I was leaning toward the AR upper for the 50 - more for fun than anything else for now. Already reload for multiple other rifles

I would estimate about $3K for the State Arms rifle.
Minimum scope I would put would be SWFA SS @ $350 but a NF would be much better at about $2500
Reloading dies/equipment; probably about another $1-3K.

.338 would be lighter and recoil less but shooting 700 yards is kind of a waste for .338 LM.

I know it may be a bit of a waste but its only for now, this is kinda a long term project. I do not plan on being in SoCal for ever. This is more of a future investment than anything else. Plus I will be able to get to AZ at least a few times a year with longer ranges avalible. 700 is just what I have at home

mdib870
05-15-2012, 7:46 AM
.416 and better ballistics then the 338 lapua and theres always the .408 too

joefreas
05-15-2012, 7:47 AM
ya , .260 , 7mm or even 308 is a fine choice for 700y shooting. If you want to shoot alittle further, the 260 rem and 300 mag will reach out past 1200y fairly easily.

as for the BMG/DTC vs 338

the .50 cals have allot more energy , so bigger splashes downrange. The 50 also costs more. Allot more. Almost all the brass you can get your hands on is junk. You'll need a press that uses 50 cal dies. While its true you can shoot API or tracer with the 50, you'll also need a bullet sizer , which is just one more thing. As for match grade bullets, there is really only one choice , the 750 amax. Almost all the other borerider or banded bullets require a borerider throat.

i wouldn't buy that state arms gun. What do you have to take the bolt out everytime you want to chamber a round ? i don't see much of an action. I have a serbu in 50 DTC. What a POS. I regret buying it. I should have saved up and gotten and EDM. Im sure people like their Safety Harbor DTC's , but the bolts on those guns look like junk. You know the Ferret/Spyder upper seems pretty cool, but it costs as much as the serbu, and that is a complete rifle.

savage 10/110 BA 338 lapua mag is the path of least resistence. Sierra makes a 338 smk bullet, and i believe berger is making one as well. We aren't going to see any .510 smk's for awhile or perhaps never. Plus you can use your regular 7/8" reloading press , no need for the bigger one. Plus , the match grade dies for 338 lapua are allot cheaper then match dies for a 50 bmg.

so the 338 is the logical choice. The 50 does have the boom factor though.

Where do you get your info mallard?

50 costs way more>? My 338 was double what my 50s cost.
Amax 750s the only match bullets? NO try Barnes, Lehigh, and many other match bullets.

And if you go to a 1K yard comp you will see State Arms rifles winning awards and people selling their EDMs.

joefreas
05-15-2012, 7:49 AM
Well if your budget is around 2K maybe you could buy mallards Serbu in DTC. They are actually great rifles and very fun to shoot.

mdib870
05-15-2012, 7:51 AM
longer more slimline round longer and flatter trajectory holds a nice 1moa at 1000 yards with a good shooter behind it

Paper Boy
05-15-2012, 8:07 AM
Well if your budget is around 2K maybe you could buy mallards Serbu in DTC. They are actually great rifles and very fun to shoot.

Not really looking to go the DTC route

My goal is around 2k, But I have set goals before and failed... Really what I am trying to do is to have as much fun as I can with a big round with decent accuracy knowing that I will probably end up upgrading in about 5 years...

joefreas
05-15-2012, 8:22 AM
Not really looking to go the DTC route

My goal is around 2k, But I have set goals before and failed... Really what I am trying to do is to have as much fun as I can with a big round with decent accuracy knowing that I will probably end up upgrading in about 5 years...

I started with a BMG upper. I have RAW lowers so I could use it on those but it was a pain changing back and forth. I eventually went for the DTC because I like having a aomplete rifle that I can take up to Angeles Shooting Range anytime. If you are looking for a really big boom there is no substitute for the 50.

The 338 is a great round too. Less recoil and boom but very accurate.

Good luck with your purchase and happy shooting-

Paper Boy
05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
If you are looking for a really big boom there is no substitute for the 50.

Thats part of it, want the 50 boom

The 338 is a great round too. Less recoil and boom but very accurate.

And with reloads I am sure I can dial it in so its still on the table..

Good luck with your purchase and happy shooting-

Thank you, I figure it will come down to the last min when I decide what I want, buy it, enjoy it, and then start saving for the other one :D.

brando
05-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Are you already proficient out to 1000 yards? This is an important question because I see a lot of people going from shooting their AR out to 300 yards then suddenly buying a .338LM, putting a cheap optic on it and saying they intend to shoot past a mile.

Crawl, walk, run

You will waste a lot of time, energy and money if you don't gradually work your way up to shooting ELR distances. It seems like this advice often falls on deaf ears, but don't overlook the .300WM - it's FAR more economical to shoot and is still good to 1400 yards. Also, match ammo for it doesn't cost $5/round like .338LM or .50BMG.

Paper Boy
05-15-2012, 2:56 PM
Are you already proficient out to 1000 yards?

I have been decent out to 700 or 800 yards with a 300WM. Friends rifle his range unfortunetly no where near me.

but don't overlook the .300WM - it's FAR more economical to shoot and is still good to 1400 yards. Also, match ammo for it doesn't cost $5/round like .338LM or .50BMG.

Have considered it, just looking for something big. To be honest I have filled my safe with almost all the rifles I "need" for the hunting and plinking I do. Now looking for something to play with at long range with a bigger boom.

And since I would only be able to shoot it in AZ a few times a year if I went the 50 route, for now the cost per round is not a deal breaker as I have my other rifles to play with when I am in CA…

I am not looking to jump straight out to a mile range; I am looking to work my way up and have some fun doing it. I am just looking to bang steel at anywhere from 700-1000 yards for now. Then slowly move out from there. Economical? Maybe not. But I am looking more for fun.

bomb_on_bus
05-15-2012, 4:14 PM
DTC would be the choice for you then.

You want the boom... check

You want something that will be CA legal... check

As far as your budget goes your not going to get very far with 2k for either round. Loaded ammo for either round is in the 5 dollar or more category especially going after match loads. Getting a good piece of glass isn't going to be cheap either.

What you want to get and what your willing to spend won't get you there. Over half of your budget will be spent on just the bare bones .338 say a savage 110. then glass, ammo, reloading components if going that route. Reloading for the .338 will run about 2/3 of what it would cost to load for the .50 initially but after you get going the .50 could cost less depending on your amunition components. .338 is easier to get reloading stuff for but it will cost the same across the board if not a bit more than the DTC round.

For my DTC set up I'm in about 9k and counting lol.

I would highly recommend getting some trigger time behind both caliber guns and see what you like. Its not a cheap venture getting into shooting either the .338 or the .50and its better to have a good idea of what you want before you put down some serious coin.

Lastly there are plenty of places in CA where you can shoot to the max range of whatever gun you bring. Just go to the BLM website and go from there. I have seen some exotic caliber guns shooting out past 2k on BLM land.

HK Dave
05-15-2012, 5:19 PM
Between 338 and 50bmg... i'd go 338... that way you can still shoot it in CA. 338 can really get out there...

AWARCORP
05-15-2012, 6:32 PM
If you are looking to spend a little more cash, EDM ARMS Windrunner M96 is capable of firing .408 Chey-Tac caliber, .338 caliber, 510 DTC by changing the barrel, bolt, and magazine. Just know that the 50BMG guys make fun of the DTC guys ;) If you are down to pay for the ammo, you can test out my 510 at Angeles any weekend...

epcii
05-15-2012, 8:43 PM
.458 SOCOM

brando
05-15-2012, 9:01 PM
.458 SOCOM

For shooting beyond 1000 yards? Really?

KillZone45
05-16-2012, 2:48 AM

LMFAO:D

Paper Boy
05-16-2012, 6:04 AM
As far as your budget goes your not going to get very far with 2k for either round. Loaded ammo for either round is in the 5 dollar or more category especially going after match loads. Getting a good piece of glass isn't going to be cheap either.

The 2k is my goal for just the rifle, glass ammo and extras will be on another budget. 2k is the goal - if it ends up being more it ends up being more. I know it probably will not happen for that much but I am also patient enough to search and wait for a deal somewhere - privet sail or other wise.

If you are looking to spend a little more cash, EDM ARMS Windrunner M96 is capable of firing .408 Chey-Tac caliber, .338 caliber, 510 DTC by changing the barrel, bolt, and magazine. Just know that the 50BMG guys make fun of the DTC guys ;) If you are down to pay for the ammo, you can test out my 510 at Angeles any weekend...

Thank you for the offer and info, next time I get a chance to go out there ill send you a PM to see if we can link up.

.458 SOCOM

Can't tell if serious?

gunnerstuff
05-16-2012, 8:36 AM
There's nothing like going to the desert and turning a basketball sides bolder into instant dust with 700 grains of whoop *****, just saying.

Bhobbs
05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I think the AR30 in .338 Lapua would fit what you are wanting. It would let you shoot in CA and out of state without having to convert brass to .510 DTC.

tdyoung1958
05-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Maybe .300 Win mag also. They would do great out to 700 yards and when you do get to open space, can hit 1500 yards as well.

That's what I went with, no regrets. Much easier to find ammo and brass / bullets for reloading as well

milotrain
05-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Have considered it, just looking for something big. To be honest I have filled my safe with almost all the rifles I "need" for the hunting and plinking I do. Now looking for something to play with at long range with a bigger boom.

And since I would only be able to shoot it in AZ a few times a year if I went the 50 route, for now the cost per round is not a deal breaker as I have my other rifles to play with when I am in CA…

I am not looking to jump straight out to a mile range; I am looking to work my way up and have some fun doing it. I am just looking to bang steel at anywhere from 700-1000 yards for now. Then slowly move out from there. Economical? Maybe not. But I am looking more for fun.

You aren't going to want to hear this but if you are not shooting your own rifle with your own loads at 700 yards then I wouldn't jump into a .338. There is a lot of trigger time involved at being proficient at those ranges and a .308 is plenty of rifle for almost everyone. Spend the trigger time on a cheaper cartridge and when you finally find the weak link being the round then buy your .338 or whatever. At that point you'll know exactly what you want.

I have a friend who shot his .308 to second place at a 1000yard competition besting the whole field of .338 shooters. He's a very good shot, has a lot of trigger time, and no matter how inferior his round was to theirs he still beat them. And they were not poor shooters by any means.

Rockit
05-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I think the AR30 in .338 Lapua would fit what you are wanting. It would let you shoot in CA and out of state without having to convert brass to .510 DTC.
Brass is easy to form.
As a play thing, the 50 looks less expensive to me because pulled reloading components are readily available.

All that being said.....I don't own either one but have been trying to make a similar decision for a while now. Leaning toward the Ferret50.......tomorrow I'll probably be back on the Savage 110BA.

Bhobbs
05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Brass is easy to form.
As a play thing, the 50 looks less expensive to me because pulled reloading components are readily available.

All that being said.....I don't own either one but have been trying to make a similar decision for a while now. Leaning toward the Ferret50.......tomorrow I'll probably be back on the Savage 110BA.

Are the pulled components just good for plinking or can you get decent groups with them?

Rockit
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Are the pulled components just good for plinking or can you get decent groups with them?

I don't know. Maybe one of the 50 gurus will show up and answer that.
Paging...MrKubota/Csacannoneer/SoCal50 etc.

Paper Boy
05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Leaning toward the Ferret50.......tomorrow I'll probably be back on the Savage 110BA.

Sounds like you have the same problem as me :D

HK Dave
05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Are you already proficient out to 1000 yards? This is an important question because I see a lot of people going from shooting their AR out to 300 yards then suddenly buying a .338LM, putting a cheap optic on it and saying they intend to shoot past a mile.

Crawl, walk, run

You will waste a lot of time, energy and money if you don't gradually work your way up to shooting ELR distances. It seems like this advice often falls on deaf ears, but don't overlook the .300WM - it's FAR more economical to shoot and is still good to 1400 yards. Also, match ammo for it doesn't cost $5/round like .338LM or .50BMG.

THIS

epcii
05-16-2012, 7:16 PM

Yes, lol. :43:

elsolo
05-16-2012, 9:20 PM
Get the .50 the only question is BMG or DTC
You are not a serious long range competetor, the .338 will do nothing exciting for you.
The .50 has the fun factor which is what you are looking for in your new "big rifle".
I have an Armalite AR-50, it's a fun gun for me, I don't compete in long range rifle.
Reloading makes it affordable, and the bullet choices in .50 are unbeatable.
If I were to take it out of CA, I could finally play with the bullets that have funny colored tips.

billt
05-17-2012, 4:52 AM
It seems like this advice often falls on deaf ears, but don't overlook the .300WM - it's FAR more economical to shoot and is still good to 1400 yards.

+1

The .300 Win. Mag. has won more 1,000 yard matches than you can count over the last 40 years. The .338 Lapua Magnum is God awfully expensive to shoot for what it is. 99% of people can't shoot a .300 Win. Mag. effectively to it's maximum range potential, so going to a .338 Lapua will just drain their bank accounts faster, or else they won't shoot it as much. The latter is more likely so they will never become proficient with it.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/Savage110FCP-K-1.jpg

Savage 110 FCP-K .300 Win. Mag.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/Kimber8400Bushnell3200001.jpg

Kimber 8400 Police Tactical .300 Win. Mag.

I have both a Savage 110 FCP-K, and a Kimber 8400 Police Tactical set up for long range shooting in .300 Win. Mag. Both are excellent weapons and get shot a lot. Brass is reasonable, it's not hard on barrels, (a .338 Lapua is by comparison), and it's easy to reload for and achieve excellent long range accuracy.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/BushmasterBA-5050BMGRifle2.jpg

Bushmaster BA-50

I do have a Bushmaster BA-50 in .50 BMG, and it is cheaper to shoot than a .338 Lapua. I just picked up 150 rounds of 660 Grain Ball ammo for $375.00. That's just $2.50 a round. Most .338 Lapua ammo is beyond that.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/338-378WeatherbyAccumark2jpg-1.jpg

.338-378 Weatherby Magnum

In .338 I do shoot a .338-378 Weatherby Magnum. It's performance is actually better than the .338 Lapua by 200 FPS or so with identical bullets. But it is still expensive to shoot. Both of my .300 Win. Mag. rifles, as well as my .50 BMG get shot far more. You can set up a nice long range .300 Win. Mag. in the price range you mentioned. You won't be disappointed in it's performance. That cartridge has been around since 1963, and is more popular today than ever. There is a reason for that.

diego-ted
05-17-2012, 5:17 AM
I shoot a Savage BA 110, elitists will poo poo this platform but if you dont care what othrs think, this is a great way toget into a 338 lapua for a modist investment. I have shot my buddy's AI and my other buds Blazer, as well as a T42, my Ba is right there with them from300 yards to a mile. As far as ammo cost,you must reload! Cost at that point is less than 2 bucks a pop!

04chase
05-17-2012, 10:08 AM
i was in the same boat a week ago . was looking into both rounds and found a deal on a bluegrass viper for under 3k in 50 dtc. picked up a nightforce and rings for 2k so i have just over 5k in rifle and optics. im going to start reloading soon to help with accuracy , savings in reloading is there but moot at this point. i just want to do it to learn and play with recipes to get decent trigger time and consistant groupings eventually. im new to long range as well and plan to start off at 600 then move on up . im not rich but i did set aside a budget to go down this road.

billt
05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I shoot a Savage BA 110, elitists will poo poo this platform but if you dont care what othrs think, this is a great way toget into a 338 lapua for a modist investment.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Savage .338 Lapua. What are they saying is wrong with it?

diego-ted
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
It's crap, ugly, inaccurate, inferrior ECT! Do a search and you will see.

brando
05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
It's the affordable, entry-level .338LM rifle these days - that's all. It has the nice feature of a 1:9.4 twist barrel, but beyond that it's a basic factory rifle like a Rem700. Tolerances are where you'd expect.

IPSICK
05-17-2012, 12:59 PM
You aren't going to want to hear this but if you are not shooting your own rifle with your own loads at 700 yards then I wouldn't jump into a .338. There is a lot of trigger time involved at being proficient at those ranges and a .308 is plenty of rifle for almost everyone. Spend the trigger time on a cheaper cartridge and when you finally find the weak link being the round then buy your .338 or whatever. At that point you'll know exactly what you want.

I have a friend who shot his .308 to second place at a 1000yard competition besting the whole field of .338 shooters. He's a very good shot, has a lot of trigger time, and no matter how inferior his round was to theirs he still beat them. And they were not poor shooters by any means.

Crawl, walk, run

Thanks for the posts above. Dissuaded me from spending money I shouldn't to get a .338LM setup.

I thought my ongoing AR308 build was bad enough but I could see a .338LM setup going bonkers with what would be required to get properly equipped and proficient enough to get the most out of it.

brando
05-17-2012, 1:18 PM
That's really what it comes down to: getting the most out of your rifle. Rifles are like cars in that sure, you can buy a cheap subcompact to get you around, but it's not fair to say it can take corners and the straightaway at the same level as a 911. On top of that, having a high performance car doesn't make the driver any more skilled than he already is. The combination of an average car with average driver will result in average racing performance - and that's fine. The reason someone who's serious about racing invests in a high performance car is so that their skills can grow into the car's capabilities, not be held back or restricted by them.

ELR shooting is all about uniformity - with ammo, how concentric the barrel and action are, how efficient the bolt lugs lock in the chamber, etc. And high performance features come at an increased manufacturing cost. Sure, there are some rifles out there that are overpriced for what they deliver (*cough-Barrett-cough*) compared to the rest of the field, but for most of them you get what you pay for. There's nothing wrong starting out with an entry-level gun, but as your skills improve you will likely hit a wall where the limits of the rifle's performance restrict you. At the same time, it's foolish to buy a high performance rifle and expect to shoot it to its limits out of the gate - the rifle doesn't make the shooter - the shooter makes the rifle. I can't play guitar to save my life, so giving me a top of the line Fender isn't going to make me play any better than that crappy Sears guitar.

That's why I keep saying "crawl, walk, run." And save some of your budget for training too.

billt
05-17-2012, 1:35 PM
It's the affordable, entry-level .338LM rifle these days - that's all. It has the nice feature of a 1:9.4 twist barrel, but beyond that it's a basic factory rifle like a Rem700. Tolerances are where you'd expect.

Savage factory rifles have won a considerable amount of F-Class matches in recent years. Beating out many custom models in doing so. The guy pulling the trigger still has to do his part.

brando
05-17-2012, 2:11 PM
Obviously, as I mentioned in my post that followed.

klewan
05-17-2012, 2:30 PM
Get a 500 Whisper; 50BMG bullet moving along subsonic. With a suppressor it sounds like a pellet rifle when you pull the trigger. If you want to whack somebody, I can't think of anything better.

bcrich
05-17-2012, 3:56 PM
the rifle doesn't make the shooter - the shooter makes the rifle. I can't play guitar to save my life, so giving me a top of the line Fender isn't going to make me play any better than that crappy Sears guitar.

Words of a very wise man!

brando
05-17-2012, 3:58 PM
510Whisper is an awesome spear chucker, but very much a wildcat cartridge. Without access to suppressors in CA, it's kind of loses its advantages. It's also a lot of work to make the cases from .338LM brass. There is practically no shoulder to them and they need to be turned on a lathe.

And most relevant to this thread, it doesn't fall into the same range category as .50BMG or .338LM.

milotrain
05-17-2012, 5:25 PM
That's really what it comes down to: getting the most out of your rifle. Rifles are like cars in that sure, you can buy a cheap subcompact to get you around, but it's not fair to say it can take corners and the straightaway at the same level as a 911. On top of that, having a high performance car doesn't make the driver any more skilled than he already is.
That's indeed true. But there is a reason that at the Track Days at willow springs the organizers have a rule:
"If you see a Miata in the rear view pull over, he's faster than you."
"No I don't care if you are driving a Ferrari, he's still faster than you."

This is because the spec Miata drivers get more seat time than anyone else. You might have a Ferrari but the Miata is faster. You might have a .338 but the guy who shoots every weekend at 600 yards with a .308 will out shoot you every day of the week.

diego-ted
05-17-2012, 7:01 PM
With todays modern rifles, IMHO, it will take a very very very good shooter to out perform most rifles. I am by no means an experrt but can repeatdly bang steel at a mile once dialed in. I have less than $2200 in my 338 with scope.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/BA%20110/DSC01113.jpg

joefreas
05-17-2012, 7:13 PM
^nice shot. What happened to the vid?

brando
05-17-2012, 7:18 PM
I am by no means an experrt but can repeatdly bang steel at a mile once dialed in.

The question is: how big is your steel? Hitting a table at a mile is one thing, hitting a laptop is another.

joefreas
05-17-2012, 7:26 PM
The question is: how big is your steel? Hitting a table at a mile is one thing, hitting a laptop is another.

There was a video of it up there a few minutes ago.

brando
05-17-2012, 7:41 PM
20"x20" isn't bad - good shooting. A 1/2MOA rifle at a mile will give you about a 9" circle of accuracy. If you're shooting at a 10" disc that means even if you remove the variables from the shooter, you're still hard pressed to keep every shot on target. Double that for a 1MOA rifle. The good news for .338LM rifles is the danger space on a target like that at a mile isn't too bad. Shooting a .308WIN at a mile gives you such a small danger space value that being off even by a few feet on your distance estimation can equal a miss.

milotrain
05-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Fine but you better be able to keep a .223 inside 6" at 600 yards before you decide that you need to be able to hit a barn at a mile.

diego-ted
05-18-2012, 5:23 AM
I took down the vid because it was the one for 1400 yards not the mile! And I was down that road before! I will put the correct one up later after I get home. My mile target is 22x22 . I can shoot less than 1/2 moa out to 300 yards no problem but doubt I can carry that out to a mile. Hitting my piece of steel off a plastic card table is fine for me. It would bring down any living target I would engauge. I would realish the oppertunity to watch anyone who can shoot .5 MOA at a mile!

CSACANNONEER
05-18-2012, 6:21 AM
I'd say go the DTC route with an ALS upper or a Ferret upper.

I know a few people who have used pulled AP bullets and shot 1000 yard, 5 shot groups, just over 1 moa. with nothing over 2.5 moa. But, for ultimate precision, you need to sort them by weight and shadow graph them.

diego-ted
05-18-2012, 9:44 AM
Here is a mile shot, click on image., you can hear the hit at 19 seconds of he Video.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/th_MILEHIT.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/?action=view&current=MILEHIT.mp4)

Rockit
05-19-2012, 12:13 PM
^^^^
Ya had a bit of wind too. Nice.