PDA

View Full Version : shotgun in ma truck

chevy man
05-15-2012, 6:35 AM
is there anything in the penal code about tranporting a shotgun in a truck? (4runner with a rack behind the driver and passenger seats) I am aware of penal code 12026.1 that deals with transporting handguns but, i couldn't find anything regarding longarms. just plannin on goin to the range and back or to the gunshow. from what ive seen jus from online a good rule of thumb is keep the firearm and ammo away from each other, with the firearm unloaded of course.

MossbergMan
05-15-2012, 7:00 AM
Long gun transport: Can be in "plain sight" (not cased) or like handguns in a locked container. Must be UNLOADED.
However, if visable it may cause you a little delay if stopped for a traffic infraction. Other than that, it's legal to transport your long guns as you described. It's only the "concealable firearms" (and registered AWs) that require being in a locked trunk and/or locked container within the vehicle (excluded are glove or utility compartments).

WDE91
05-15-2012, 8:20 AM
I really hope you plan on tossing a blanket over the shotgun or having really dark window tint

alfred1222
05-15-2012, 8:44 AM
I really hope you plan on tossing a blanket over the shotgun or having really dark window tint

Ya +1, if a cop sees you, expect a felony car stop with guns drawn

WDE91
05-15-2012, 9:07 AM
Ya +1, if a cop sees you, expect a felony car stop with guns drawn

you have that aspect and the theft
if it is visible expect busted windows and a missing shotgun

please go about things smartly and not cause yourself unneeded drama

I am fine with gunracks but just be smart

paul0660
05-15-2012, 9:12 AM
longguns need to be in a locked case or rack if within 1000' of a school, per Federal law.

alfred1222
05-15-2012, 9:17 AM
longguns need to be in a locked case or rack if within 1000' of a school, per Federal law.

Completely forgot about this...

chevy man
05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
thank you all for the responses, i will take everything in to consideration. but as far as theft, leaving the shotgun unattended in the truck isn't a option. i only plan on taken it to and from the range where i always have someone i know in or near my truck. leavin a firearm by itself where it can be stolen is like leavin... well i cant think of a better metaphore then that ;)

WDE91
05-15-2012, 4:59 PM
why not just put it in a soft or hard case and call it good?

MossbergMan
05-16-2012, 7:59 AM
I stand corrected...GFSZ requires a locked container or rack. That is one scary law.
Paul, thanks for the reminder....you may have saved someone a very unpleasent time.