PDA

View Full Version : Problem with AR locking lug (chipped)?

TreeHugger
05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
This is the bottom most locking lug. Has anyone seen something like this, looks chipped? I had 3 double feeds, but that shouldn't cause something like this. Have used nothing but brass and only 90 rnds thru it so far. Could this be a manufacturer defect?

Thanks

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/ifubad/Misc/ARChippedLockingLug.jpg

G-forceJunkie
05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm guessing it was there fromthe manufacturer, I doubt any bullet or brass could ding steel up like that. I doubt it will effect anything, but i would smooth over those points with a stone.

tonyxcom
05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Great macro shot.

BTW, there is a pube on your feed ramp. :)

TreeHugger
05-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Great macro shot.

BTW, there is a pube on your feed ramp. :)

Thanks, used a Nikon 105mm micro with external flash.

I put it there on purpose, read a thread that it helps with accuracy.

wash
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Only redhead pubes work for accuracy.

Baconator
05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Only redhead pubes work for accuracy.

It's gypsy pubes.

Sent from my evil Apple iPad using Tapatalk

Dhena81
05-15-2012, 1:53 AM
It's definitely a manufacture defect I bet it's not MP tested.

jokat989
05-15-2012, 2:20 AM
ive herd of locking lugs breaking after 10k rounds of wolf without cleaning, but this is not normal wear and tear. hope the manufacturer takes care of you

Army
05-15-2012, 8:18 AM
That looks more like tool chatter than a break. Regardless, it isn't on the lug face or front edge. I wouldn't worry about it.

Your feed problems are magazine related.

TreeHugger
05-15-2012, 8:35 AM
Your feed problems are magazine related.

It's not the mag, the problem was caused by a snapped 50 cent part.

I just sent the lock lug pic to the manufacturer, waiting for them to get back to me.

Army
05-16-2012, 7:15 PM
Ah, the intolerant small part. Silly little things!

Notice the chrome is also in the cuts. This means the marks are from tool chatter during manufacture. Proof firing didn't make the lugs let go. Your standard rounds also will not. Forget it, and shoot it.

Freagan
05-16-2012, 7:32 PM
Which manufacturer is this?

kurac
05-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Sloppy production or bad QC, if it chipped, you would have a bigger piece missing. Nice picture, I can never get those kind of shots.

Dreaded Claymore
05-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I just want to say that's a great macro photo. :thumbsup:

TreeHugger
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Just got my complete upper back from the manufacturer (only 200 rounds before sending it back to get it fixed), because of a defect on the locking lug of the barrel extension, they rebarreled it (it is a match barrel).

This is supposed to be a new barrel, what is that brown stuff, doesn't look like rust, I used a cotton swab and it won't come off, just curious?

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/ifubad/Misc/ArNEWBarrelExtension.jpg

Again, the complete new upper only had 200 rounds thru it. When I shipped the upper back, they suggested shipping the BCG back also, so that they can test fire it afterward. Prior to sending back the bolt carrier and bolt, I took numerous pics of them, to record all of the little unique markings on the BC and the carbon built up on the bolt. When I got everything back, the bolt carrier is not the same that I shipped them, markings are different, the other dead give away were the screws for the carrier key, they are not in the same tighten positions, even one of the screws that are staked, the staking is noticeably more pressed in on one side. They returned the upper with a test fire target with a 3 shot group, the carbon built up is definitely different than my pics, with only 3 test fire, that shouldn't change much, and there are some slight reddish stain on the back of the bolt that won't come off, that are not in my pics.

My question is, is there ANY reason for the manufacturer to swap bolt carrier and bolt, when doing a rebarrel? They stated prior, that even though the AR has a match barrel, bolt does not need to match the barrel, that is more for bolt guns.

Jpach
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Who is the manufacturer?

Very interesting, I don't know what that brown crap is.

TreeHugger
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Who is the manufacturer?.

I don't want to say at this point, unless i'm sure they pulled some funny buisness with me.

Freagan
06-04-2012, 11:58 PM
It was Delton or DPMS right?

All I am going to say is you get what you pay for ;)

TreeHugger
06-05-2012, 12:03 AM
It was Delton or DPMS right?

All I am going to say is you get what you pay for ;)

Wrong, no cigar :)

You're second sentence gave me a nice laugh, because of my particular case :D

ott1
06-05-2012, 1:15 AM
My question is, is there ANY reason for the manufacturer to swap bolt carrier and bolt, when doing a rebarrel? They stated prior, that even though the AR has a match barrel, bolt does not need to match the barrel, that is more for bolt guns.

Several manufacturers sell match barrels with a matched bolt. Maybe they gave you a match barrel with the matched bolt.

TreeHugger
06-05-2012, 8:22 AM
Several manufacturers sell match barrels with a matched bolt. Maybe they gave you a match barrel with the matched bolt.

That's exactly what they said they did. Original test target was .75 moa, the new one is .5

I guess all is good. Thnx

c good
06-05-2012, 8:35 AM
a little bit of chore boy type of copper mesh scrubber pad should get that deposit off.