PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Canada with guns ok?

SPaikmos
05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm planning to drive up to Canada for a few days to visit friends.

Searching the net, it looks like there's a form to be filled out at Customs if I'm taking long guns to Canada. Things get a little dicier with handguns ($50 fee) but still doable.

My question - Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as filling out a form and chatting with the customs agents at the border for a few minutes? Or is this not common and likely to cause a ton of delays and other unwanted attention?

I'm hoping coming back to the US is an easier operation? Also, what about ammo?

I plan to visit friends in WA state, so I could leave my guns with them if I had to, although I'd rather keep them under my control at all times.

morrcarr67
05-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Too much work to make it worthwhile.

There are a lot of things that need to be done and many restrictions.

paul0660
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107461/Jessie-Sansone-Canadian-man-shocked-arrest-daughter-drew-picture-gun-school.html

taperxz
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm planning to drive up to Canada for a few days to visit friends.

Searching the net, it looks like there's a form to be filled out at Customs if I'm taking long guns to Canada. Things get a little dicier with handguns ($50 fee) but still doable.

My question - Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as filling out a form and chatting with the customs agents at the border for a few minutes? Or is this not common and likely to cause a ton of delays and other unwanted attention?

I'm hoping coming back to the US is an easier operation? Also, what about ammo?

I plan to visit friends in WA state, so I could leave my guns with them if I had to, although I'd rather keep them under my control at all times.

Unless you are up to go on a hunt, its not worth taking them driving through. The airports are better equipped to expedite the paper work. They know when Americans are on their way up to hunt with a guide during certain seasons. If you have to, download the forms online from Canada (google is your friend) Follow directions carefully! I wouldn't bring the handguns though! There customs people are not always nice. Declaring a firearm at the border "could" result in some type of vehicle inspection. If you try to crack jokes with them, to ease the tension, they want no part of it. :chris:

My expertise? My avatar is a pic from my yearly Canada Goose hunt:D

veeklog
05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Don't even try it! Trust ne on this one. Unless you are going hunting, and you get permission from CBSA and CBP to bring the guns across the the US/Canadian Border, your firearm will be seized at the border. Canadians don't like restricted/prohibited firearms, which include all handguns, centerfire rifles not considered restricted/prohibited (AR-15's and AK variants come to mind) unless you have a permits to own/possess. And no firearms is allowed for self-defense, only for hunting and target shooting that is allowed in a shooting club

robcoe
05-14-2012, 1:01 PM
for a couple of days, I wouldn't bother.

SPaikmos
05-14-2012, 1:06 PM
Hmm... yeah, that's about what I expected.

I thought Canada was getting a bit better, especially after abolishing long gun registration. The reason I asked is because I did search, and found this:
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

Makes it sound like all you have to do is fill out some forms and away you go. I guess it's not that easy, huh?

alfred1222
05-14-2012, 1:12 PM
i wouldnt bother with it, its a huge hassle

taperxz
05-14-2012, 1:21 PM
Hmm... yeah, that's about what I expected.

I thought Canada was getting a bit better, especially after abolishing long gun registration. The reason I asked is because I did search, and found this:
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

Makes it sound like all you have to do is fill out some forms and away you go. I guess it's not that easy, huh?

It is easy! At the airport! Like i said they know when the hunters are coming and bringing revenue! Driving up there, not hunting, they are going to ask a ton of questions and possibly search you and your vehicle. I will just be a PITA and for what?? Use your buddies guns up there.

Fate
05-14-2012, 1:22 PM
I believe there is also a ban on handguns with <4" barrels.

k1dude
05-14-2012, 1:28 PM
Canadian Border Patrol agents don't even follow their own laws. I went across back before all the new rules and they asked for my passport. No passport was required back then. They didn't give a damn. Luckily I had it on me. I had driven 10 hours to get there and they were ready to turn me away. I even had a printout of their laws and regulations stating I didn't need it. They didn't give a damn. They said if I didn't hand it over they were going to tear apart my car and luggage and do a body cavity search. They said they would make sure it took 10 or 12 hours. So I handed over my damn passport.

Funny thing is, US customs gave me the same crap coming back into the US. So I handed it over again.

Neither side gave a damn what their own laws and regulations said. They were making up whatever they felt like. I'm damn glad I didn't have any guns with me. And I'm sure as hell glad I thought of bringing my passport at the last second 'just in case.' Don't count on them following their own rules when it comes to guns or anything else.

If I have to go to Alaska, I don't drive through Canada. I fly and have no problems even with guns.

huntercf
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Don't even try it! Trust ne on this one. Unless you are going hunting, and you get permission from CBSA and CBP to bring the guns across the the US/Canadian Border, your firearm will be seized at the border. Canadians don't like restricted/prohibited firearms, which include all handguns, centerfire rifles not considered restricted/prohibited (AR-15's and AK variants come to mind) unless you have a permits to own/possess. And no firearms is allowed for self-defense, only for hunting and target shooting that is allowed in a shooting club

+1000, Canucks do not like firearms, they don't like Americans AND they HATE Americans with Firearms! If you are traveling through you can take your handgun but they put a lock on it at one border and the lock is removed at the other border. If you are going for a visit and you bring guns they will take them.

ja308
05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
A few years back we got a promo for a canadian vacation ,I called the toll free # and explained we were going to stay 5 nites at luxury hotels with all amenititys , 5 more nights at less expensive motels near sites we wanted to visit .
Another 4 days at state parks using a 4 season 10X10 cabellas tent.
And finally 6 days wilderness camping away from all civilisation.

The phone operator seemed delighted with our plans , then I asked what type of firearm to you recommend for our saftey against possible animal attack during our wilderness portion of the trip .
My call was transfered 5 times and finally i got a terse recording "leave your message and we will return your call!

Sorry Canada , your not last on the vacation list, but really close to it , you have beat out Iran , Iraq and afganistan

Quiet
05-14-2012, 11:40 PM
IMO... It's not worth it.

I've known FBI agents that were going to Canada on business that had their sidearms confiscated by RCMP. Their firearms were returned as they were leaving the country.

But, if you insist...

Canada classifies firearms into three different categories.
Non-Restricted, Restricted and Prohibited.

Non-Restricted:
rifle/shotgun with barrel length 18.5" or greater
rifle/shotgun with overall length 26" or greater (Canada measures OAL like CA)

Restricted:
handgun with barrel length 4.2" or greater
semi-auto centerfire rifle/shotgun with barrel length less than 18.5"
rifle/shotgun with overall length less than 26" (Canada measures OAL like CA)

Prohibited:
handgun with barrel length 4.1" or shorter
MG
SBR
SBS

As a non-resident of Canada...

In order to import/possess Restricted firearms, you need a valid Canadian Firearms License.
Yes, non-Canadians can obtain a Canadian Firearms License.
But, you need your CLEO to sign off on your paperwork (good luck with that).

In order to import/possess Non-Restricted firearms, you need an approved Non-Resident Firearm Declaration ( http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/909.pdf) form. There's a $25 fee for this form.

It is not legal to import/possess magazines for handguns that hold more than 10 rounds and magazines for rifles/shotguns that hold more than 5 rounds.

It is not legal to import more than 5000 rounds of ammunition.
This is a total amount, not amount per caliber.

SPaikmos
05-15-2012, 7:42 AM
Thanks guys. Boy am I glad I asked the question instead of downloading the form on the web and showing up like an idiot trying to get into Canada! I guess someone who doesn't realize how hard LTC is in SD might read the sheriff's website and assume a similar thing (just show up with the app and away you go!).

We plan to take a trip to Alaska by road, but that will be a few years off. Maybe by then things will get better, otherwise I may have to ship our guns to someplace in Alaska while we drive through. What a hassle.

I guess it'd be foolish to ask whether I could buy any C&R in Canada and bring them back, eh? :)

taperxz
05-15-2012, 7:50 AM
+1000, Canucks do not like firearms, they don't like Americans AND they HATE Americans with Firearms! If you are traveling through you can take your handgun but they put a lock on it at one border and the lock is removed at the other border. If you are going for a visit and you bring guns they will take them.

Really? Hmm when i am there in Alberta plenty of people had rifles and they loved the fact that we were there hunting and were all very friendly, yes even in town:rolleyes:

As far as my visit, they did not take my firearms from me and make me throw rocks at the Geese, ducks, deer or moose i was attempting to hunt. I am just letting you know for your information. You know what? THEY EVEN LET ME SHOOT MY FIREARMS!!! HOW ABOUT THAT!!