PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma will become the 26th state to allow Open Carry

Coded-Dude
05-14-2012, 9:53 AM
“I'm going to be signing that bill,” [Oklahoma Gov. Mary] Fallin announced to 1,400 delegates at the Oklahoma Republican State Convention, drawing cheers and applause. “I've been waiting a long time.” [the bill will allow Oklahomans with concealed handgun permits to open carry]

Fallin said she will sign Senate Bill 1733 this week; the measure won final legislative approval last week in the Senate. The Senate voted 33-10 to pass it and the House of Representatives passed it 85-3 earlier this month.source - full article (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-gov.-mary-fallin-says-shell-sign-open-carry-gun-measure/article/3675105#ixzz1urr2sqUQ)

CitaDeL
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
This seems to substantiate evidence that California is going the opposite direction from the rest of the nation. I suspect that this inverse polarity with a number of 2A permissive states is going to come to a point at which it cannot support more oppressive firearms legislation... either because of resistance to the Caliban's progressively onerous lawmaking, or by judicial intervention, or both.

meaty-btz
05-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Seems like a good law on the surface. Let's see how it goes.

alfred1222
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
hmmmm this is interesting, it should be interesting to see if this will turn other states to the Open Carry way

hammerhead_77
05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I grew up in northern Idaho. As a kid, the one way I could be sure to be legal when packing heat - especially in the car - was to toss my gun up on the dashboard if/when I got pulled over. Got stopped for running a stop sign, cop approached saw the gun, took my info, said "don't touch that. I'll be right back."

Brought me the ticket (I deserved it) and told me to have a nice day.

THAT is what life is like in places with Open Carry.

Curley Red
05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Is it easy to get a concealed carry license in any part of Oklahoma. It says only concealed carriers will be able to open carry, not everyone.

orangevale
05-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Oklahoma is a true “Shall Issue” state. Not to be confused with the “Litigation Avoidance May Issue” you guys call “Virtual Shall Issue”.

Coded-Dude
05-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Yes getting a permit in OK is easy enough. Shall issue, and from my understanding the instruction course varies, but can range from 3-6+ hours of training.

Requirements:
1. A citizen of the United States;
2. Establish a residency in the State of Oklahoma;
*For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term “residency” shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card and physically resides in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency
3. be at least 21 years of age;
4. Request or print an application;
5. Read and become knowledgeable of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
6. Complete the required firearms safety and training class or apply for and receive an exemption;
7. Take the completed application, photographs, required fees, and the blank finger print cards found in the application packet to the Sheriff’s Office in the county where he or she resides.

Oklahoma used to have stand your ground type laws, but I think they have since modified them to be closer to castle doctrine(i.e. far more leniency on your own property in self defense related incidents).

I was in OK last month, went to a gun show at the fairgrounds. Saw signs everywhere: Get your guns and training now! before open carry is passed! etc. At that time it had passed the house and some were skeptical it would make it pass the senate. I'm glad it did.

orangevale
05-14-2012, 1:27 PM
Oklahoma used to have stand your ground type laws, but I think they have since modified them to be closer to castle doctrine(i.e. far more leniency on your own property in self defense related incidents).

See Paragraphs D, F and H below for Oklahoma’s current “Stand Your Ground” law.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69782

Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.25 - Physical or Deadly Force Against Intruder

D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.
H. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section.

Southwest Chuck
05-14-2012, 2:10 PM
hmmmm this is interesting, it should be interesting to see if this will turn other states to the Open Carry way

Is it easy to get a concealed carry license in any part of Oklahoma. It says only concealed carriers will be able to open carry, not everyone.

Incremental steps. I think this will eventually lead to constitutional open carry for all. Here's the rub and I'll admit I haven't read the text of the law. If a LEO see someone open carrying, will that be probable cause for a stop and I.D. / Carry permit inspection? If not, then what's the point? How can a LEO confirm the possession of a carry permit? I can easily see Oklahomans being pissed off by such intrusions to the point of pushing for unrestricted open carry in the future. This is a good thing, and could very well lead the way for other States to emulate.

1JimMarch
05-14-2012, 2:28 PM
I'm open-carrying an SA wheelgun (Ruger New Vaquero) right this second, in a Jack In The Box in Tucson AZ.

ccmc
05-14-2012, 2:30 PM
MCP mode on

She's a pretty attractive woman.

MCP mode off

Will this allow OC by LTC holders from states OK recognizes?

ccmc
05-14-2012, 2:32 PM
I'm open-carrying an SA wheelgun (Ruger New Vaquero) right this second, in a Jack In The Box in Tucson AZ.

I was in Tucson a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see one single person open carrying in four days.

J.D.Allen
05-14-2012, 3:11 PM
I was in Tucson a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see one single person open carrying in four days.

In Yuma its not an everyday thing but it certainly isn't uncommon. I OC a lot, and no one even bats an eye. I've seen quite a few others (including a kid yesterday carrying a Glock at the small of his back with no holster). You do see it from time to time

orangevale
05-14-2012, 3:13 PM
Will this allow OC by LTC holders from states OK recognizes?

From the “enrolled” version of SB1733 that is awaiting the Governor’s signature. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say it depends on the terms of the LTC.

SECTION 1. AMENDATORY 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1290.26, is amended to read as follows:

Section 1290.26.

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried fully unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

voiceofreason
05-14-2012, 3:16 PM
It would allow anyone possessing a license to carry a firearm under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act to carry the weapon either openly or concealed

^^^^^

Will someone please clarify this for me?

Will this open carry apply to out-of-state CCWs with OK reciprocity?

CitaDeL
05-14-2012, 5:31 PM

I only dislike you right this moment because you are rubbing my nose in your ability to do what should be natural. (I would not, however, be caught dead in a Jack in the Box in any city.);)

Kid Stanislaus
05-14-2012, 7:19 PM
OMG!! THERE'LL BE BLOOD RUNNING IN THE STREETS!!:D

rugershooter
05-14-2012, 10:35 PM
I only dislike you right this moment because you are rubbing my nose in your ability to do what should be natural. (I would not, however, be caught dead in a Jack in the Box in any city.);)

I went on a trip to Arizona this weekend in a national park, no less, and open carried there! Freedom is cool

Mulay El Raisuli
05-15-2012, 6:03 AM
This seems to substantiate evidence that California is going the opposite direction from the rest of the nation. I suspect that this inverse polarity with a number of 2A permissive states is going to come to a point at which it cannot support more oppressive firearms legislation... either because of resistance to the Caliban's progressively onerous lawmaking, or by judicial intervention, or both.

How have I gone so long & not seen this wonderful insult? :D

Incremental steps. I think this will eventually lead to constitutional open carry for all. Here's the rub and I'll admit I haven't read the text of the law. If a LEO see someone open carrying, will that be probable cause for a stop and I.D. / Carry permit inspection? If not, then what's the point? How can a LEO confirm the possession of a carry permit? I can easily see Oklahomans being pissed off by such intrusions to the point of pushing for unrestricted open carry in the future. This is a good thing, and could very well lead the way for other States to emulate.

"Baby steps" in other words.

I dislike him too. But what's wrong with Jack in the Box???

The Raisuli

Decoligny
05-15-2012, 7:12 AM

The law requires a "handgun licensee" to present his/her license upon demand by any police officer, so yes it does establish a "stop and ID" situation.

Exile Machine
05-15-2012, 7:16 AM
Oklahoma is OK

orangevale
05-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Signed by the Governor!
http://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=223&article_id=7425

CitaDeL
05-15-2012, 7:30 PM
Excellent. One more step towards Constitutional Carry in OK.

Coded-Dude
05-15-2012, 7:34 PM
awesome news indeed! another thing to look forward to when I move back.

Untamed1972
05-16-2012, 10:46 AM

I do think it will get harder and harder for anti-states to justify their ridiculous "public safety" arguments when there is a complete lack of evidence from the vast majority of the country showing no support that their concerns are valid.

Caliyanks
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Which is great because I just found out I got a job transfer to OK city.
Although I have my CCW here as well.
I have been trying to leave California for 4 years.
Finally light at the end of the tunnel.

J.D.Allen
05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I do think it will get harder and harder for anti-states to justify their ridiculous "public safety" arguments when the is a complete lack of evidence from the vast majority of the country shows no support that their concerns are valid.

Yup, we now have constitutional carry in at least one major and very large city, unrestricted OC in many states, licensed OC in a few others, which also include many major cities, and shall issue licenses in the vast majority of states including many, many major cities. All of which have resulted in :sleeping:.