PDA

View Full Version : Failure to feed with mossberg 930 autoloader

lcw
05-13-2012, 9:22 PM
Just got my brand new 930 auto loader. I'm having FTF problems.
When bolt is locked open, I drop a shell in the receiver and press the bolt release button.
Shell elevator will lift the shell up but not fast enough so bolt slams on the shell and rim of the shell would get stuck in the rim of chamber. This is not a problem if I do it with barrel pointed up, but it's almost 100% FTF when I do it with barrel pointed downward.
Any fixes and suggestions?

speeddreamz
05-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Is this gun new? broken in yet?

When is the last time it was cleaned?

It will run dirty, but not dry so make sure its oiled.

A lot of what catches is the piston gas system can develop a burr(around the mag tube) that causes an issues with cycling. I've sanded it midly and keep it well oiled. You can pm me if you have more questions

lcw
05-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Is this gun new? broken in yet?

When is the last time it was cleaned?

It will run dirty, but not dry so make sure its oiled.

A lot of what catches is the piston gas system can develop a burr(around the mag tube) that causes an issues with cycling. I've sanded it midly and keep it well oiled. You can pm me if you have more questions

It's brand new, and i've shot about 100 bird shots today. It was cleaned and oiled before I took it to the range.
It's not a cycling issue on my gun, it's a feeding issue. I can have this feeding issue when I press bolt release button when the barrel is pointed downward.

hayaku
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
have you called mossberg yet? that doesn't sound right...

shellslinger
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe something is binding up the shell elevator. You should take it apart and check it out, maybe some debris got stuck in there.

libertyordeath
05-14-2012, 1:32 PM
Yeah take it apart and clean it from the looks of your pics it looks rather dirty and you should be breaking gun in with heavy loads from what I've read.

9mill
05-14-2012, 4:11 PM
polishing the edge of the chamber where it is hanging up couldn't hurt. and don't point the barrel down.

lcw
05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Thank you all for your replies.
I took your advice, took the gun apart again (took it apart before I went to the range yesterday), cleaned and oiled all moving parts. This time, I took one step further, punched 2 pins out and took out trigger assembly where shell elevator is installed. I cleaned and lubricated trigger assembly and put the gun back together.

THE PROBLEM STILL EXIST!

Here's how I can re-create the issue:
1. lock bolt open
2. point barrel downward to the ground
3. drop a round into receiver
4. press bolt release button

The elevator doesn't lift shell fast enough before bolt slams forward and starts to push shell into chamber.

I'm not sure if after hundreds or thousands of rounds, the recoil spring will loosen up, thus allow more time for the elevator to lift shell into position before recoil spring pushes bolt to make contact with the shell. Will try to contact mossberg tomorrow and see what they have to say. It's a new gun, I've only shot about 100 rds bird shots and a few buck shots.
With the gun behaving like this, it's so unreliable to the point I don't think I can use it for home defense.

MossbergMan
05-15-2012, 8:19 AM
IcW does this FTF happen with all ammunition types or just the birdshot loads?
You have a first gen 930 and there were problems. I had to send mine back twice...but Mossberg made it right. My first 930 SPX was a lemon and Mossberg replaced it with a brand new gun. My new gun has been flawless from day one regardless of ammo type or manufacture.
Call Mossberg, get a shipping label sent to you for warrenty work and send it back. It should feed, fire, extract, eject and reload without issue in any position.

repubconserv
05-15-2012, 5:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies.
I took your advice, took the gun apart again (took it apart before I went to the range yesterday), cleaned and oiled all moving parts. This time, I took one step further, punched 2 pins out and took out trigger assembly where shell elevator is installed. I cleaned and lubricated trigger assembly and put the gun back together.

THE PROBLEM STILL EXIST!

Here's how I can re-create the issue:
1. lock bolt open
2. point barrel downward to the ground
3. drop a round into receiver
4. press bolt release button

The elevator doesn't lift shell fast enough before bolt slams forward and starts to push shell into chamber.

I'm not sure if after hundreds or thousands of rounds, the recoil spring will loosen up, thus allow more time for the elevator to lift shell into position before recoil spring pushes bolt to make contact with the shell. Will try to contact mossberg tomorrow and see what they have to say. It's a new gun, I've only shot about 100 rds bird shots and a few buck shots.
With the gun behaving like this, it's so unreliable to the point I don't think I can use it for home defense.

can you recreate this at all when the barrel is not facing down? Also, what angle are we talking about when you say "facing down"? is it straight up and down (perpendicular with ground)?

SuperSet
05-15-2012, 7:02 PM
IIRC, when I had my 930 turkey gun, it had a similar issue. I took out my Dremel and polished the chamber until it fed reliably. On a similar note, Federal birdshot has quite a few uneven crimps. Winchester has the same bad QC. The only ones that I've found that do not have this problem were the Remington Sport Loads (green box). Of course, like everything that's good, Wal Mart stopped carrying it!

05-15-2012, 8:43 PM
Send it back to Mossberg with a letter stating the problem and send the picture too.

If you tinker with it trying to fix the problem, bye bye warranty.

Call and see if they will send you a prepaid shipping label.

I have a bunch of problems with my 930 and it's going back as soon as I get my 1100 out of the hospital.

My 930 was ok for about 3000 rounds and then all hell broke loose.:mad:

Good luck?

lcw
05-15-2012, 9:56 PM
can you recreate this at all when the barrel is not facing down? Also, what angle are we talking about when you say "facing down"? is it straight up and down (perpendicular with ground)?
well, straight down almost perpendicular to ground, not exactly 90 degrees, say 70-80 degrees to ground.
So when a round is dropped in receiver, it falls down to the elevator and the front of the round is touching magazine tube follower due to gravity.

lcw
05-15-2012, 9:59 PM
Send it back to Mossberg with a letter stating the problem and send the picture too.

If you tinker with it trying to fix the problem, bye bye warranty.

Call and see if they will send you a prepaid shipping label.

I have a bunch of problems with my 930 and it's going back as soon as I get my 1100 out of the hospital.

My 930 was ok for about 3000 rounds and then all hell broke loose.:mad:

Good luck?

They've been contacted, they say they will provide me a shipping label. But even so, it's a lot of trouble to go through shipping a firearm back becuase the very first challange is to fine a non-marked box to ship this thing in.

Mossberg quality control is not that great. Can't believe why they didn't test such a simple function before they ship the product out.