View Full Version : Moving back to CA

05-13-2012, 7:09 PM
Hey guys, next month I'll be moving back to Cali from Ohio, and I have a few firearms related questions. As much as I love my non-neutured AR with 30 rd magazines and CCW'ing my Glock everyday; family comes first, and being 2,000 miles away isn't so awesome anymore.

I'll be going the featureless route for making my AR CA-compliant, as well as disassembling my standard capacity magazine into parts kits.

Here are my questions:

1. Since I bought my pistol in CA before I moved, is there any sort of "re-registering" I have to do when I come back into the state?

2. If I lost the paper for the Handgun Safety Certificate, will I have to retake the test?

3. I'd like to send my 3 long guns to my parents in the Bay Area ahead of time, since I am driving back across the country. I want as little expensive stuff in my car as possible, haha. I'm assuming the only way to do this is to have an FFl here in OH send them to an FFL in CA? Is there any other way or anything special I should know about going about it this way?


(It's so strange that in the year and a half I lived in a Shall Issue state with no AWB, I never saw the "blood running in the streets" or "wild west shootouts because of road rage" that California's politicians use as justification for their asinine laws. :rolleyes: )

05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Per BATFE, a non-licensed person can mail/ship firearms to themselves. Therefore, ship, via FedEX/UPS, the firearms to your parent's residence. Technically, they can not open the container and handle the firearms. All they can do is receive it and store it, until you arrive.

05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I believe that you still need to VolReg any handguns you bring back into CA if you weren't continually reading in CA. (i.e. you didn't pay CA state income tax.) However; there is no requirement that any handgun you bring in has to be on the Roster. This means if you want any handgun not on the roster you should buy it now, before you return. Such guns can be sold to anyone in CA via PPT so they may be a good investment too.

Also, if you had the AR magazines when you lived here before they do not need to be disassembled. If you acquired them while in Ohio then you do need to do as you are planning.

05-15-2012, 2:12 AM
The requirement to register a firearm when moving to California does not apply unless you acquired the item outside the state.

PC 17000 (a) (5)

05-15-2012, 6:50 AM
The requirement to register a firearm when moving to California does not apply unless you acquired the item outside the state.

PC 17000 (a) (5)

Thanks mrdd. I didn't realize that.

05-15-2012, 4:16 PM
Thanks mrdd. I didn't realize that.

It is a useful exemption. Let us hope that our overlords do not notice. ;)

05-15-2012, 4:56 PM
Why? ok, I get it family

so Don't